Wards

RichardB

I miss a decent pint of Wards, even though I only drink red wine these days. Wards is still available in bottles (Morrisons), it tastes nothing like I remember (made in Cuba or somewhere), but what I really miss is the smell as you lifted a glassful under yer hooter ...

he he Wards was my ale of choice, although most Sheffielders my age seemed to be Stones drinkers, not everyone could cope with Wards "Fine Malt Ales"... which occasionally had an eggie smell even when in fine form! I've never know any other beer like it, must have been water from the brewery bore hole!

I was really sad to see Wards stop brewing, especially as we had a few decent Wards pubs here in Lincolnshire, it was my last link to Sheffield.

I know what you mean about the "Wards" available in bottles, nothing but brown flavourless watter.

At least these days Sheffield is a beer heaven, despite Kelham Island being the largest brewery.

he he Wards was my ale of choice, although most Sheffielders my age seemed to be Stones drinkers, not everyone could cope with Wards "Fine Malt Ales"... which occasionally had an eggie smell even when in fine form! I've never know any other beer like it, must have been water from the brewery bore hole!

I was really sad to see Wards stop brewing, especially as we had a few decent Wards pubs here in Lincolnshire, it was my last link to Sheffield.

I know what you mean about the "Wards" available in bottles, nothing but brown flavourless watter.

At least these days Sheffield is a beer heaven, despite Kelham Island being the largest brewery.

I used to find that the morning after he he

I found their logo "Brewing What Comes Naturally" to be oh so true lol

I used to find that the morning after he he

I found their logo "Brewing What Comes Naturally" to be oh so true lol

Indeed, but what I wouldn't give for a real pint of Wards right now, smelly it might have been, but what a joy ... Knockingon the the door of the Queens Hotel on Scotland Street, shouting "Vernon, get up" at 11:30, so we could have a few games of pool before "the workers" came in; we sharply "accidently" potted the black when the lads came in, for their lunchtime, they appreciated the gesture "Are you on next ?", Oh Dear I appear to have put the black down with my hand .... bugger, the money I had on the table appears to have gone back in my pocket ..... :rolleyes: We always got a "nod" when they left to go back to work...

Amazing I used to enjoy a few liquid lunches... three pints at dinner time then back to work on machinery which would quite happily eat a couple of arms as an afternoon snack!

The last Friday in July before "works weeks" with three weeks pay in our pockets, Friday afternoon was a deadloss, indeed often we would work Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon.

These days it is virtually unthinkable to drink any quantity of beer a lunchtime if you are working, even though I've never known a computer to eat anyone.