Sheffield Boundary Posts

Guest InSheffield

Guest InSheffield

Inspired by this thread, I thought I'd put together a thread trying to locate all the surviving boundary posts in the city.

Sheffield/Ecclesall

Division Street/Carver Street

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield/Nether Hallam

Brook Hill

© Copyright Terry Robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Convent Walk

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ecclesall/Nether Hallam

Gell Street

Google Streetview

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Guest InSheffield

Not forgetting this one on Middlewood Road.

I think that's a milestone, rather than a boundary post. There are a few listed ones in Sheffield:

A57 (north side x2 and south side x1)

Burncross Road (A629)

Cowley Lane (A629)

Hallwood Road (A629, north east side)

Main Road A616 Wharncliffe Side (at conjunction with Langsett Road North)

Manchester Road (A616)

Middlewood Road North A616 (West Side)

Penistone Road (approx. 45m north of junction with Wheel Lane, Halifax Road and Salt Box Lane)

Penistone Road (Handsome Cross)

Station Road, Chapeltown

I'm interested in these :)  Did Sheffield townships end with the formation of the Town Council in 1843? If so how old are the boundary markers? Finally I guess that the one on Carver Street is half buried rather than damaged or a different size to the others?

The Council had wanted to amalgamate the seven Sheffield townships and thought that the newly introduced Local Government Act 1888 (section 57) gave them power to do this.  This was confirmed, however they could not carry it out due to the resulting municipal area being spread across two Poor Law Unions. The Local Government Act of 1894 amongst other things, reformed the Poor Law, and the Council used a combination of the two acts to amalgamate the townships. 

There were numerous reasons for boundary posts.  For example before the New Highway Act of 1862 parishes were divided into hamlets for the maintenance of the roads, with ratepayers responsible for the surveying, repair and rate collection for these small areas.  Another reason was to show the police areas - in 1832 there was one of these boundary markers set into the wall of the Brunswick Chapel.

I contacted Amey in 2014 about the state of the boundary marker on Convent Walk, it was in an appalling condition and needed restoring, the photo shows the  result. Not much care shown using green paint on the lettering but its better than the rust that covered it before.

Convent Walk Boundary Marker.jpg

post-11747-072151900%201311098371.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

I'm interested in these :)  Did Sheffield townships end with the formation of the Town Council in 1843? If so how old are the boundary markers? Finally I guess that the one on Carver Street is half buried rather than damaged or a different size to the others?

Comparing it with the other boundary posts, it makes me wonder if the Carver Street post is original?

A post is shown on the 1890 map at the corner of Carver Street and Division Street (though doesn't prove it was the same one, not a replacement)

633396562_Boundary1890.png.12af1cf820af7179f5155e1828b8e453.png