Co-Op Photo Being Sold By An Idiot.

RichardB

eBay

£30, yeah right, plainly says "Pelaw" which is between South Shields and Jarrow, near the South end of the Tyne Tunnel.

Probably now at Beamish Museum.

Guest binsted71

eBay

£30, yeah right, plainly says "Pelaw" which is between South Shields and Jarrow, near the South end of the Tyne Tunnel.

Wasn't 'Pelaw' the brand name for Co-op own brand products?

eBay

I wonder why he thinks it's Sheffield?

What is it about this picture that suggests it could be?

Have you notified him of the shops true location?

After all it does say "Pelaw" in every top window doesn't it.

Perhaps it was the S.C.S above the door? Perhaps the Sunderland Co-operative Society????

I wonder why he thinks it's Sheffield?

What is it about this picture that suggests it could be?

Wasn't 'Pelaw' the brand name for Co-op own brand products?

Pelaw Was a Co Op i have found these on a Newcastle and the North East Site i assume it was a nationwide brand.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212275&page=3

Perhaps it was the S.C.S above the door? Perhaps the Sunderland Co-operative Society????

Or Sheffield Co-operative Society ??

Notified.

Pelaw Was a Co Op i have found these on a Newcastle and the North East Site i assume it was a nationwide brand.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212275&page=3

And vox found the name 'Pelaw' on a window in Darnall.

SH link .. Painted Advertisements

Not B&C (Brightside & Carbrook) or S&E (Sheffield & Ecclesall) then!

Come on, - if SCS stood for S?????? Co-Operative Society then it could be any town or city in Britain begining with S :blink:

Also from Wiki

"Pelaw came into being due to the huge Victorian factory complexes of the CWS or Co-Operative Wholesale Society which was the manufacturing division of the then burgeoning Co-Op company, which grew up along the length of the Shields Road. This mile long stretch of red-brick industry was home to factories making clothing and textiles, furniture, pharmaceuticals, household cleaning products, quilts, books and magazines and the world-famous "Pelaw" shoe polish. These factories created Pelaw and were practically its sole employer during most of the twentieth century but due to inevitable foreign competition, the prevailing economic climate and government policies of the times, the majority of the factories were closed and demolished between the mid 70s and early 90s to be replaced in recent years by modern housing estates. Two of the original CWS buildings, the Shirt Factory and the Cabinet Factory, are extant. The Shirt Factory still manufactures garments but is a private concern and the Cabinet Factory in Bill Quay, which later became a major Brentford Nylons plant, has been transformed into a modern business park by the name of Stonehills. The last factory to be demolished was the Print Factory."

Guest Unitedite

Perhaps the photo is of a Co-Op in Sheffield <_<

The Main Road Darnall branch! :huh:

Perhaps, but S.C.S. is unlikely to have been Sheffield Co-operative Society at the probable time that this photograph was taken, as Sheffield Co-operative Society came about as a result of an identity change by the B & C, when the S & E merged with Yorkshire Co-operative Society in the early 1980's.

It would have been Brightside and Carbrook Co-operative Society [b & C] as in the case of Darnall, Main Road Branch, or Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-operative Society [s & E] in the case of the other main Co-operative Organisation that was retailing in Sheffield.

I don't think it says S.C.S over the door on that photo.It seems to be all advertisements, The S on the left being the last letter of CWS. On the right the W seems to have gone, but the rest seems to read "coffee .... cocoas".

The Cooperative Wholesale Society had a whole range of "own brand" goods.

My Great Aunt worked for the C.W.S. in Sheffield from the mid/late 1910s until the 1960s as far as I know.

It says IND Co-operative society over the top. Pelaw is the band name of their own brand goods. I can remember Pelaw polish.

It says IND Co-operative society over the top. Pelaw is the band name of their own brand goods. I can remember Pelaw polish.

It does appear to be, -

IND (Independent?) Co-operative Society

CWS and not SCS (Co-operative Wholesale Society)

The way the word PELAW in those winsows, each with a different named product as well, does indicate that it could be a brand name.

So really this Co-Op could be just about anywhere.

Is Sheffield anything more than a wild guess? Or are there clues we have missed?

Seems to have changed the description although these are some photos of an existing Co-op building in Pelaw.

It does appear to be, -

IND (Independent?) Co-operative Society

CWS and not SCS (Co-operative Wholesale Society)

The way the word PELAW in those winsows, each with a different named product as well, does indicate that it could be a brand name.

So really this Co-Op could be just about anywhere.

Is Sheffield anything more than a wild guess? Or are there clues we have missed?

I think that it could be a co-op anywhere even the one at Beamish. There is something about how the man is dressed and how the women are that doesn't match up to me. He looks more like I remember Co-op managers in 1960. I could be wrong but I thought that they used to wear brown overalls in that era and that white came in later whatever something just doesn't ring true.