J. Shentall, Grocer And Provision Stores

RichardB

Real photo postcard circa 1908. Has light wear to the two right corners, some wear to the top left corner, and lacks the bottom left corner. Has a light 15 mm crease and a light 1 cm crease by the top right corner, and has some small bits of surface scuffing to the lower part of the card. Sold to me a s possibly Chesterfield / Sheffield area, but without any proof. The nearer shop is ' J. Shentall ', or possibly a name slightly longer, and the further shop ' Hameyre '.

eBay

£40, get knotted.

Hameyre ??

The nearer shop is ' J. Shentall ', or possibly a name slightly longer, and the further shop ' Hameyre '.

John Shentall, Grocers, 10 Washington Road 1905, 1911, 1919, 1925

also John Shentall Limited 10 Washington Road, 771 Abbeydale Road, 292 London Road & 676 Chesterfield Road 1911, 1919

also John Shentall, Grocer & provision dealer, High Street, Dronfield 1893

John Shentall, Grocer, 22 Church Street, Dronfield 1905

Take yer pick ...

No sign of Hameyre ...

Vendor NOT updated; same rip-off merchant as the Boot Button Fastener ...

The name rings a bell from when I was a lad, possibly around Longley or Southey, 1950's. Where oes this character get his pricing policy from?

The name rings a bell from when I was a lad, possibly around Longley or Southey, 1950's. Where oes this character get his pricing policy from?

This is where I think that shop was Bayleaf.

As soon as I read the name Shentall it rang a bell from childhood

First place I thought of was Southey Green where my grandma lived, and this is the local shopping area that we used.

Obviously not the same building as in the postcard but possibly a family connection.

Google Streetview

From Dave Hichborne's Geographia site

"The firm Shentall originated in Whittington, Derbyshire and used the Crooked Spire as a logo on all their products. Sugar, butter and flour was weighed in the shop and there wasn’t a plastic bag to be seen anywhere."

I recall the one on Shiregreen as my grandparents lived on Hartley Brook Road and remember being sent up there.

Wasn't there also one at Firth Park?

I recall the one on Shiregreen as my grandparents lived on Hartley Brook Road and remember being sent up there.

Wasn't there also one at Firth Park?

It's looking like they had shops all over the place so - probably yes.

This is where I think that shop was Bayleaf.

As soon as I read the name Shentall it rang a bell from childhood

First place I thought of was Southey Green where my grandma lived, and this is the local shopping area that we used.

Obviously not the same building as in the postcard but possibly a family connection.

Google Streetview

That's it vox,if I remember rightly it was the middle bit that sticks out from the rest. The next one past was an electrical shop, Cawthorne's. Their daughter Pat was in my class at Longley school.

That's it vox,if I remember rightly it was the middle bit that sticks out from the rest. The next one past was an electrical shop, Cawthorne's. Their daughter Pat was in my class at Longley school.

Was it Shentalls where you got "instant" ice lollies, made in the noisy machine?

He poured your choice of mixture in, and a minute later it was a frozen lolly.

Never seen one since as far as I can remember.

If that wasn't Shentall's, it was one of the others in the same block. Early 50's

<p class="author_info">

Yep it rings a bell for me too. I came from wadsley bridge

Picture v01920 on picturesheffield.com shows J Shentall's shop at 650 Attercliffe Road. This shop belonged to my great great uncle James Simpson (White's 1911 & 1919).Is there any way I can trace the history of the shop itself to find out when Shentall's took it over?

Guest James Dean

Here's a pic of a box I've just found.

J.shentall

Buchanan road

Parson cross.

I googled it and came across this thread so thought I'd share.

Here's a pic of a box I've just found.

J.shentall

Buchanan road

Parson cross.

I googled it and came across this thread so thought I'd share.

That's great, thanks James Dean.

What size is it ?

I wonder what was in it.

Oh, and welcome by the way.