Does This Only Happen At Sheffield?

Guest Lee1962

Guest Lee1962

I regularly travel into Sheffield on the train and quite often the train will arrive at a platform that is already in use; many times there's a train already waiting there, powered up and ready to depart in only a few minutes. I'm wondering if this is due to lack of capacity; and is it a problem anywhere else?

I regularly travel into Sheffield on the train and quite often the train will arrive at a platform that is already in use; many times there's a train already waiting there, powered up and ready to depart in only a few minutes. I'm wondering if this is due to lack of capacity; and is it a problem anywhere else?

Welcome to the forum, Lee1962.

It is quite a common practice, as far as I can tell. I have certainly seen it done at Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime Street, Birmingham New Street, Leeds and Huddersfield. I assume it is because of a lack of platform faces, but these multiple occupancies are (usually) planned carefully in the working timetables in order to maximise the use of the platforms.

Guest bus man

Having now thought about this , technically its not the same platform the platforms are split into two ie platform 1A & 1B othere wise the signalling wouldnt allow it and it it would be (excempt in an emergancey) a prohibited manorever. Its even possible on platform 1 to have a train sat at the south end (1A) and bring a train from the south on the middle road and put it in front of the train already standing there. It allows greater use of the platforms.

If you think about platform 2c is a platform that wasnt used for passanger use until relativaley recently it usualy had a GUV parked in it or DMU for latter use.