East House - Shooting/Murder 1960?

RichardB

My Dad always told me there had been a shooting/ possibly a murder at a pub on Spital Hill, I forget the name, on the right hand side, may have "North" in the name, any information gratefully received, he may have been pulling my leg, probably 1950's ...

My Dad always told me there had been a shooting/ possibly a murder at a pub on Spital Hill, I forget the name, on the right hand side, may have "North" in the name, any information gratefully received, he may have been pulling my leg, probably 1950's ...

"Twas in the East House !

"Twas in the East House !

Bottoms ! I knew it had a compass point in the name, wonder what made me choose North ? :rolleyes: Thanks for the name.

Bottoms ! I knew it had a compass point in the name, wonder what made me choose North ? :rolleyes: Thanks for the name.

I think I have a book called something like "Crime in Sheffield" with the story in - let me know if you want further details!

I think I have a book called something like "Crime in Sheffield" with the story in - let me know if you want further details!

Indeed, yes I would like to know more about it, always had a suspicion me Dad made it up ... Thanks in advance

Indeed, yes I would like to know more about it, always had a suspicion me Dad made it up ... Thanks in advance

JP Bean - Crime in Sheffield

Synopsis - Mohammed Ismail 32 year old Somalian became depressed and wished to commit suicide but his religion forbade this. "Voices" in his head told him to go on a bloody rampage and force someone to kill him preventing him from being damned.

10.45 1st Jan 1960 he entered the East House & fired 5 times into a group of men having a sing song round the piano. 3 men died and one was shot in the head and spent 3 months in a coma and 3 years in hospital being left severley disabled. Ismail was arrested shortly afterwards.

At his trial he was found unfit to plead on grounds of insanity.

Shockingly it was found out in the 1980s that in 1962 he had been released and deported to Somalia and it was reported he had died in the 1960s after another bloody series of murders!

After recnt events in the US you realize there's nothing new under the sun!

I have read lots on the internet about these shootings, I would like to find out more if possible about one of the men . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of the victims, George Frederick Morris/ Frederick George Morris is my fathers Cousin, my dad who is now in his 80's can't remember exactly how they are related,

I have found out that he is buried in Burngreave Cemetery With  Thomas Morris and Annie E Morris (Greaves), I am wondering if he is their youngest son.

He  lived on Writtle Street with his sister

I have searched for the grave JJ 3571, It's no longer standing  (I couldn't find it)

If anyone has any more info it would be a great help

Thank you

Tania

On 01/09/2021 at 20:22, Tania Elizabeth said:

I have found out that he is buried in Burngreave Cemetery With  Thomas Morris and Annie E Morris (Greaves), I am wondering if he is their youngest son.

Hi Tania, I've found six children born to (male)  Morris with the mother's maiden name Greaves, as well as a quarter for the marriage (1907/4th qr)

1914/2 Bertha
1916/2 Thomas
1918/3 Mary
1920/1 Ada
1921/3 Lewis
1927/4 George F

• Like 1

Thank you so much, He is their youngest son, I wasn't sure if they were his parents or grand parents.

Thanks again

T