Tobacco Box Walk

tozzin

Does anyone have a map showing Tobacco Box Walk? I think it was around Upperthorpe way.

Not a map, but a name and a year :

Jacob Rodgers, pen knife manufacturer, Daisy Walk; home Tobacco Box Walk (White's 1833)

Powell William, Fork Manufacturer, Tobacco-box walk

Pigot's 1834

Nice one Vox, we're not providing a map but providing names and dates which will hopefully assist.

Not a map, but a name and a year :

Jacob Rodgers, pen knife manufacturer, Daisy Walk; home Tobacco Box Walk (White's 1833)

If he lived on Daisy Walk (Top of Upper Allen Street) it's reasonable to start looking in the surrounding area.

He would have most likely lived within walking distance I think, so as you say, Upperthorpe is indeed a possible.

All these replies are very helpful. Im just interested in the old Sheffield street names, its a pity these old names cannot be re-instated.

It must have been around until at least 1861, according to this :

Tobacco Box Walk, RG9.3483, folio 97-98 - 1861 Census. (I've no idea what to do with the reference/folio - presumably this can be traced, maybe even on Ancestry, but I don't know how- just showing it as still existing in 1861).

http://yourarchives....treet_Index_S-T

Evidence from Chartists trails 1840 :

A person came down from the council, which had met at Lambert -street, and brought word we were to meet at the top

of Watery-lane.

We set off thither, about twenty-four of us. We got there near about three o'clock.

We then came back to Tobacco-box- walk.

We met a few Irishmen of Duffy's class. They said they were seeking Duffy. I accompanied them to Duffy's house.

The people were armed with dirks, and weapons of that sort ; some with pistols. We then went to Burke's.

We did not find him at home. As I was coming from Burke's house to my father's I was stopped by a policeman on

the Ladies' Bridge, and taken to the Town-hall.

---------------------------------

Not wanting to give much about about the rest of this until I've worked out what it is ...

If he lived on Daisy Walk (Top of Upper Allen Street) it's reasonable to start looking in the surrounding area.

He would have most likely lived within walking distance I think, so as you say, Upperthorpe is indeed a possible.

Map request please; anything covering Daisy Walk/Upper Allen Street, Lambert Street and Watery Lane - 1830-1860.

I've seen it, just cannot place the map I've seen it on - emphasis on the bottom end of Alen Street, so Lambert Street to the Infirmary maybe - with Thanks to anyone even willing to have a look.

Watery Street was The Denison if I recall ...

I must have a bigger version (higher resolution) of Sheffield 1832 somewhere - I believe this is the map I'm thinking of.

I must have a bigger version (higher resolution) of Sheffield 1832 somewhere - I believe this is the map I'm thinking of.

Is this the map you are thinking of, RichardB?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4458&view=findpost&p=25217

That's the 1823 John Leather map posted by Jeremy.

Missed it - too busy looking for 1832 maps!

That's the 1823 John Leather map posted by Jeremy.

Missed it - too busy looking for 1832 maps!

That'll be my fault, sorry. It was sending me over the edge ...

Which puts it right around here, or maybe slightly further up towards Fawcett Street.

How do you do that ???

Never mind; beyond me ...

How do you do that ???

It involves "slight of hand", but if I revealed more than that, Penn & Teller would have me assassinated.

I've seen Tobacco Box Walk, somewhere ... Lord only knows where though.

I think it may have been in connection to my post asking about the Bowling Green pub some months ago.

HD

I think it may have been in connection to my post asking about the Bowling Green pub some months ago.

HD

Months ?, I can barely remember this morning ! he he

I've seen Tobacco Box Walk, somewhere ... Lord only knows where though.

Ancient Public Footpath called Tobacco Box Walk, Part of a Close of Land called The Middle Field.

What year on this please Syrup ?

Ancient Public Footpath called Tobacco Box Walk, Part of a Close of Land called The Middle Field.