Moderator's Favourite Groups

Stuart0742

During another failed attempt at winning the quiz in the Foxwood Pub last night, I made a discovery.

Fellow moderator DaveH has an unusual favourite pop group?

Clues (not much help) Like myself born in the mid 50's, a child of the 60's

Lets guess one of his favourite pop groups, I think he said he has seen them about 3 times at the Arena.

Another clue, not a tribute act to some long dead star(s)

I think I know the answer to this one and where it could be leading. B)

Another clue, not a tribute act to some long dead star(s)

That's not a good clue Stuart.

Anyone who knows my interests in music will know that most of my favourite musicians are long gone and that I make a thing of seeing tribute acts so that I can say I have "seen" certain people.

In this way I have "seen" The Beatles (including John and George), Buddy Holly, Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jnr (last 3 as the rat pack), Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Lester Young, Satchmo Louis Armstrong, Edith Piaf, Nina Simone, Glenn Miller and George Gershwin.

In fact I have seen more long dead stars than I have still living ones.

Unfortunately the REAL long dead stars usually sounded much better than the still living ones. :(

Lets guess one of his favourite pop groups, I think he said he has seen them about 3 times at the Arena.

When they guess which group it is I will tell you the real story about it, not the one that you imagine.

Are you not going to do your Jolson act in blackface and sing "Mammy" or "Sonny Boy" or something?

Or we could do as our quiz team name suggests, be Chas and Dave!

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

You can't stop talking, - why don't you give it a rest!

or that other one of theirs

I don't care, I don't care,

I don't care if he comes round here

I've got my beer on the sideboard here

Let mother sort it out if he comes round here.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Is it The Australian Pink Floyd by any chance?

I wouldn't go on Stuarts clues too much as it is obviously a group he knows little about and so can't really give good clues with correct information.

...and of course they are not really one of my favourite groups, - he's just trying to drop me in it and make me look soppy.

It's either Freddie and the Dreamers or the Scaffold lol

Both of these groups would rate amongst my favourites.

Given that I have seen so many "tribute acts" to musical heros now sadly departed it is likely that since the death of Freddie Garrity in 2006 I am now more likely to see Freddie and the Dreamers than I was before.

I have never seen the real Freddie and the Dreamers live.

I have seen The Scaffold live at Hull University Union when I was a student. This came about because Roger McGough, the well known Liverpudlian poet as well as member of the Scaffold, is a graduate of Hull University.

or Gerry & the Pacemakers

Another good guess and another brilliant group (or should I say "I like it, I like it! lol )

I last saw Gerry and the Pacemakers at The Winding Wheel in Chesterfield on 24 September 2009.

It was one of my birthday presents, having had my 54th birthday the previous day.

Turned out that the day I went to see them was Gerry Marsdens 67th birthday!

The Troggs.

I have recently mentioned Reg Presley of The Troggs in another topic but this is a group, - again a very good group, which I have never seen live.

The Moody Bores

I've never heard of "The Moody Bores" Richard but I am familiar with the works of Justin Hayward and THE MOODY BLUES.

Never seen them live though.

I wouldn't go on Stuarts clues too much as it is obviously a group he knows little about and so can't really give good clues with correct information.

...and of course they are not really one of my favourite groups, - he's just trying to drop me in it and make me look soppy.

Brotherhood of Man ? - (that's one of the most embarrassing ones I can come up with)

Manfred Mann/Chapter 3/Manfred Manns Earthband/The Manfreds

Yes I am a big fan of Manfred Mann, - both with Paul Jones and with Mike d'Abo as lead singers.

Most of you seem to have caught on to the fact that of the music from my own lifetime (so taking my Jazz and Blues heros out of it) I have always been a fan, as are most people, of the music they grew up to and I love 1960's stuff, especially our own British groups.

So before anyone suggests the obvious like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones or The Who I love all of them.

But unfortunately I never got to see any of them live.

Brotherhood of Man ? - (that's one of the most embarrassing ones I can come up with)

At least you are taking in the clues vox.

But that would be embarassing wouldn't it?

No, - it's not them.

The group in question are not that embarrasing.

Status Quo

Well,

A sixties group that are still on the go today, - so it looks like Richard is finally picking up on the clues

My brother is big fan of The Quo and I think he has seen them live, - but I haven't

When I say "I think he has seen them" it was in the days when Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi had very long hair which due to their downward facing posture while playing their guitars permenantly hung in front of their faces, - so it could have been anybody!

Dave couldn't have that bad taste could he?

The Quo are not that bad are they?

There are Sheffield versions of 2 of their songs.

"Rockin' all oo'ert werld"

"Darn, darn deeper an darn"

(Well that's what they sound like when sung in a local boozer on kareoke night just before chucking out time! lol )

• 1 month later...