Maltster's Arms, Intake

RichardS

A (now dead) chap who knew lots about the history of Intake always said that the house I lived in (now my Father lives in it) many many years ago used to be a pub called the Maltster's Arms, Intake.

Found proof at last.

Sep 13 1851:

Well found Richard.

So where was The Intake Bar exactly ?

Somewhere between The Elm Tree and The Noah's obviously but I don't know where.

Top of Woodhouse Road ?

Well found Richard.

Top of Woodhouse Road ?

It would be interesting to know as vox says, where it was exactly.

At present between Elm Tree and Noah's Ark there are,

The Ball

The Woodthorpe Arms is long gone and is now some new housing

The Foxwood, which is behind, but in the same building as, The Embassy Ballroom

The Royal Oak

Then it's the Noah's Ark and that's about it as the old Sheffield Boundary was at Shire Brook in the bottom of the dip where Intake bus terminus and the Bowling Alley / Squash Club are. At this point Mansfield Road becomes Birley Moor Road and older pubs beyond this point would have technically been in Derbyshire, not Sheffield (..and would have stayed open until 11pm unlike Sheffield pubs which closed at 10:30pm! :angry: )

If the Maltsters was on Mansfield Road then as vox says, it must have been somewhere between Elm Tree and Noah's Ark.

The house is joined to 'air' hairdressers, which was Sweeny's previously, opposite and slightly up from the Embassy.

The house is joined to 'air' hairdressers, which was Sweeny's previously, opposite and slightly up from the Embassy.

Excellent find RichardS, name, date, premises and I need a map from someone please ...

Hey, I've had my hair cut there a few times.

...and I never knew it was once a boozer.

Excellent find RichardS, name, date, premises and I need a map from someone please ...

Looks to be number 134 Mansfield Road on the 1950's OS map,

numbers could well have differed in previous years.

Looks to be number 134 on the 1950's OS map,

So Intake Bar could well have been at the top of Woodhouse Rd.

Can't find much mention of it.

-----------------------------

Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society, Vol 10

"The road into Sheffield near Intake Bar on the Gander Lane Turnpike was repaired with such big pieces of ganister that even the heavy coal carts using it were heavily jolted about."

James, Joseph. Intake Bar - 1852

----------------

Burials at St Johns Park

POTTS John 20 Nov 1842 Intake Bar 22

Looks to be number 134 Mansfield Road on the 1950's OS map,

Could be 134, Google Street Views best guess is 140.

I will be going for a haircut within the next 2 weeks when the school holidays start so I will take a closer look for myself.

"The road into Sheffield near Intake Bar on the Gander Lane Turnpike was repaired with such big pieces of ganister that even the heavy coal carts using it were heavily jolted about."

Not sure vox,

but didn't the trams once terminate at that point.

Looking at maps from the 1900's, Mansfield Road is not named untill after 1924,

prior to 1924 the section of road mentioned (Mansfield Rd) was called Main Road.

Not sure vox,

but didn't the trams once terminate at that point.

Looking at maps from the 1900's, Mansfield Road is not named untill after 1924,

prior to 1924 the section of road mentioned (Mansfield Rd) was called Main Road.

Did the trams terminate here?

It would make sense as the gradients get much steeper beyond this point as the land drops down into the Shire Brook valley, and trams, running with plain metal tyres on smooth rails don't like steep gradients, - up or down.

The more usual terminus, used by buses, is as stated earlier down the hill in the bottom of the valley right at the old City boundary. Before 1924 there would be very few people lived down on that last section as the Intake estate was not built until the 1930's and the area had a few farms and was fairly rural so there wouldn't be many people to miss having a tram on that last section and in any case it wouldn't be a massive walk to the tram stop would it.

Did the trams terminate here?

It would make sense as the gradients get much steeper beyond this point as the land drops down into the Shire Brook valley, and trams, running with plain metal tyres on smooth rails don't like steep gradients, - up or down.

The more usual terminus, used by buses, is as stated earlier down the hill in the bottom of the valley right at the old City boundary. Before 1924 there would be very few people lived down on that last section as the Intake estate was not built until the 1930's and the area had a few farms and was fairly rural so there wouldn't be many people to miss having a tram on that last section and in any case it wouldn't be a massive walk to the tram stop would it.

The trams terminated at the junction with Woodhouse Road from April 1902 until February 1935.

The trams terminated at the junction with Woodhouse Road from April 1902 until February 1935.

That's a remarkable statement. I've no reason to doubt it, but, it's impressive all the same.

Thanks madannie, I knew it would right but I couldn't put a date to it.

Guest Unitedite

A (now dead) chap who knew lots about the history of Intake always said that the house I lived in (now my Father lives in it) many many years ago used to be a pub called the Maltster's Arms, Intake.

Found proof at last.

Sep 13 1851:

As an aside, there is an interesting report on the same page about the refusal of a license to one Thomas Wostenholme of Woodhouse Mill, [one of my wife's ancestors].

Thomas Wostenholme went on to be landlord of The Princess Royal Inn, Woodhouse Mill, until his untimely demise in 1856, so I suspect that the house mentioned as having "been erected by Mr Hibberd" [whom I also suspect was the landowner - coal mine owner of the Habershon and Hibberd partnership] is very probably The Princess Royal Inn that still exists there today.

Number 75 Mansfield Road [another hairdressers ] looks as though it may have been built as a pub. W/E..

Number 75 Mansfield Road [another hairdressers ] looks as though it may have been built as a pub. W/E..

Image courtesy of Google

Found proof at last.

Sep 13 1851:

Found one !

Mrs. Elizabeth Handley, Maltster's Arms P.H. Intake, Handsworth.

Kelly's 1854

Well found Richard.

Top of Woodhouse Road ?

Did not 'TP' represent the location of a turnpike gate,

if so wouldn't this have been the Intake Bar ?

Found proof at last.

Sep 13 1851:

Thank you RichardS in finding this you have given us two new ones that are not on the A to Z.

The Maltster's Arms Intake and also The Gate Woodhouse.

On Norfolk Park they shut down pubs and turn them into churches.

On the main route out from City Road they shut pubs and turn them into supermarkets.

On Herdings and Charnock they shut down pubs and turn them into Indian restraunts.

But at Intake they shut down pubs and turn them into Hairdressers :blink:

That's the good thing about pubs, they are so versatile!

..Just a pity you can't get a decent drink at any of them any more! :angry:

Did not 'TP' represent the location of a turnpike gate,

if so wouldn't this have been the Intake Bar ?

If it is, then it was right where the "new" fire station now stands.

If it is, then it was right where the "new" fire station now stands.

There could easily have been a pub at that point,

It would have been very handy for thirsty miners finishing their underground shift at the old coal mine which was on the same site.