A Load Of Rubbish

History dude

Back to my original question, are you allowed to dump rubbish at the tip site?

We've got "Dumpit" sites where you can take domestic waste for disposal and re-cycling.

Not quite right is it steve. I've driven up and down on "streetview" and can't quite match it up either.

Found the website where the photo came from - on Photobucket

There's another one taken here by the looks of it. Just round the corner from Olive Grove Rd

Maybe the first one is nearby

Both of the old photos were taken from Olive Grove Road, where Spurr Street joins it.

Both of the old photos were taken from Olive Grove Road, where Spurr Street joins it.

Yes you are right Sorry my mistake.

attachicon.gifBin men2.jpg

And I remember the side loaders a bit like this one below

attachicon.gifSide loader.jpg

Yes, - that's the sort of bin emptying I was describing, - perhaps not the same lorry design, but bin men who carry good old fashioned metal bins on their back or shoulders.

So would todays bin men.

I remember the heavy leather capes they wore as the coal men used to have the same sort of thing for their

heavy sacks on their shoulders.

In weather like we have just had , many households use to scatter their coal ashes onto the snow and ice

instead of putting them in the bin.

No grit bins then.

My dad used to scatter the ash from the fire on the garden. The small area that he had done this on became the most fertile area of the garden for growing plants on.

So, we never really put ashes in the bin, - which made a mess of them, and something you could not possible do with modern plastic bins if the ashes were still hot.

And I was wondering, does anyone visit the rubbish tip themselves?

They encourage us to recycle by charging us lower tip fees if we separate the recycleables out. There is also a tip shop where you can buy other people's junk. I get most of my second hand books there, people take them in cardboard boxes and 'donate' them to be re-used. They sell for 50 cents to a dollar each.

Back to my original question, are you allowed to dump rubbish at the tip site?

There are several Dumpit Sites dotted around Sheffield as already mentioned.

They don't charge householders anything for disposal but they don't allow vans or pick-ups on site to discourage builders and other commercial operators. Of course we all pay in the Rates.

Present day British cities are inundated with "charity shops" which is where you can buy second hand books. High streets and shopping parades have many empty premises and rather than see them boarded up, the landlords let charities such as Help The Aged, British Heart Foundation and Oxfam etc rent them for peppercorn rents. The Heart Foundation have an second hand electrical store at Crystal Peaks and we recently donated a 2 month old fridge freezer which we had come by, it was no use to us and both the charity and the eventual buyer will profit.

Book prices seem to be standardised at 50 pence for paperbacks and £1 for a hardback, 'so a little cheaper perhaps then down under but there is a lot of competition.

HD

My next door neighbours wheelie bin smells like it contains a decomposing body,

it is also surrounded by meat flies, they keep making a detour into my kitchen,

our next local bin collection is not due until the coming Friday.

I think I will be moving the bin later, that is if I don't bump into her first.

My next door neighbours wheelie bin smells like it contains a decomposing body,

it is also surrounded by meat flies, they keep making a detour into my kitchen,

our next local bin collection is not due until the coming Friday.

I think I will be moving the bin later, that is if I don't bump into her first.

Just a thought, but have you seen anything of your next door neighbour recently ! :(

HD

Just a thought, but have you seen anything of your next door neighbour recently ! :(

HD

No need for panic HD... lol

I have now reported the problem to my neighbour,

and it turned out to be a raw chicken carcass that was creating all the stink.

Her eldest son commented on the reason being, he said it was due to the fortnightly refuse collections.

I told him that they would not need to push the bin up to the road next Friday,

as it would probably walk there by it's own accord.

^_^

Guest sal1974

Does anybody on here still get a green collection service? We used to have the bag collection once a month but they've stopped it now 😞

Just noticed the current ad at the bottom of this page. lol

attachicon.gifBins.jpg

I genuinely didn't know that there are ads at the bottom of the page :o

Thank goodness for the AdBlock Plus plug-in for Firefox ^_^

Does anybody on here still get a green collection service? We used to have the bag collection once a month but they've stopped it now

Never had green bins in my area, a few of my neighbours compost some of their garden waste,

but most of us either put in the refuse/black bin or burn it.

"Cuts by the government

mean Sheffield City Council can no longer afford to subsidise green waste collections ......"

.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/Collections/Garden-Waste/Green-Bins/

Guest Barbara M

We have green bin collections once a fortnight on the opposite week to the black bin ......but we do live near Bawtry !!

Having experienced the queues at the tip when we took out surplus green waste, (we have 4 compost bins but there are some things we can't compost very well) we succumbed to the Veolia blackmail and ordered a green bin. As promised it was delivered within 5 working days, (actually on the same day as the local collection, so we missed that one.)

But you can't put it out for collection until you have a sticker for the lid which says it's been paid for. I rang a week later and was told it would follow by post, along with the timetable for collection. I asked why the delay and they said "We wait until there are enough letters waiting to go out then do a print run". So a few days later the letter, sticker etc arrived, so we stuck the label on the lid, and following day put the bin out for collection , and it wasn't collected. I rang again, and this time it was because the address hadn't been added to the collection list yet, but "it will be collected next time". So last Friday, over a month after paying for the service, the bin was eventually emptied.

The charge is calculated pro rata depending on when in the year you place the order. I asked what happened next year when the service resumes, and how much would it cost. Answer- sorry we do not have that information yet.

Most of our neighbours have large-ish gardens, but I've only counted three other bins apart from ours along our road. If that's typical, I suspect they'll drop the 'service' as uneconomic.

Never had green bins in my area, a few of my neighbours compost some of their garden waste,

but most of us either put in the refuse/black bin or burn it.

"Cuts by the government

mean Sheffield City Council can no longer afford to subsidise green waste collections ......"

.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/Collections/Garden-Waste/Green-Bins/

Likewise, we have never had a green bin/bag collection. I've always put leaves and grass in the black bin

after all it's going back into the land [ fill ]

I think they would object to parts of tree trunks etc though.

Does anybody on here still get a green collection service? We used to have the bag collection once a month but they've stopped it now

Still have a green bin service but it is, and has been since last year, a paid for up front service (costs about £50 to £60 a year). Those that pay for the service have a green bin with an official sticker on. Those that didn't pay had their green bins collected in for good.

After my dad passed on in 1988 the funeral directors (W Simpson & Son) asked me to collect his ashes, his remains came in a plastic container that was similar in shape to the old sweet jars, and was the same colour as a green waste bin.

One evening a couple of years after dad had departed I was burning a large heap of garden waste

in my back garden, and made the decision to put the plastic jar with dads remains on the fire.

So, perhaps my father could be the only Sheffield person to have had second cremation.