A Load Of Rubbish

History dude

For some time now Sheffield residents have had a choice of which container to use for bottles/cans or paper.

We normally use the box for paper but recently when we had a great deal of paper to dispose of I used them the other way around and they were emptied without question.

I attach the link and hope someone may be able to shorten it.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/Collections/Blue-box-and-blue-bin-recycling-service/Blue-box-and-blue-bin-flexible-service-/

HD

edit The clever software has shortened it automatically _____ clever !

Link Fairie Attack !

I don't see the problem as you have a choice which you use for paper or bottles.

For me the blue box is used for paper and the blue wheelie bin holds my bottles etc.

I'm a satisfied customer. :)

I don't see the problem as you have a choice which you use for paper or bottles.

For me the blue box is used for paper and the blue wheelie bin holds my bottles etc.

Likewise, blue box is paper and card, blue bin is bottles, metal and plastic.

For some time now Sheffield residents have had a choice of which container to use for bottles/cans or paper.

We normally use the box for paper but recently when we had a great deal of paper to dispose of I used them the other way around and they were emptied without question.

Likewise.

Besides which, we've already got 2 great lumps of plastic in the garden. Don't want another thanks.

Some of the terraces round here don't have easy access to any kind of yard or garden. Their bins have to be wheeled through the house or stay out on the street. I don't think they would thank you for another bin either.

Of the two, bin or box, the boxes appear less likely to be the target of so called "student pranks" often perpetrated by "the future of our great nation".

Most of you seemed to have missed the point.

You don't have a choice. If you want to use the blue wheeled bin for paper you can (which was it's original purpose), but you CAN NOT have another wheelie bin for cans and bottles. You have to use the BOX. In my original request I pointed out that we could buy a "red" bin to replace the box. But they refused to empty it, so that advert below doesn't help!

To be honest most people on my estate don't use either box or blue bin. One person doesn't even use the black bin! The litter bin on the corner of the street seems to fill up quick is all I can say say to that!

I suspect the reason that they don't want to let us have the option of a RED wheelie bin for cans etc is that it would create more waste for them to take away, costing more money.

Boxes are not used by all Council's. Derbyshire seem to have two bins for paper and cans and a green bin, which in Sheffield is not standard.

My brother-in-law lives in Bradwell, Hope Valley.

He has a staggering array of bins of all colours. There are large wheely bins, small wheely bins including a diddy one which is supposed to live in your kitchen but in practice everyone leaves them empty outside. There are even containers that fit in the top of other bins.

My brother-in-law hasn't a clue what goes in where and the multi-page diktat that the Derbyshire Dales supply is as clear as mud.

I noticed that when the Sheffield blue bin collection takes place that whatever is in the blue wheeley bin goes into the same place in the collection vehicle 'so presumably the paper and tins/bottles are all mixed anyway.

The design of the blue boxes is flawed because the drain holes in the base let water in to soak the paper even if the "shower cap" is properly fitted.

If there's money to be made from recycling let Veolia earn their corn and let us revert to a black bin for perishable rubbish and a blue bin for paper/tins/bottles. Veolia must have to sort anyway because there are bound to be wrong items in the bins.

Up here in Lodge Moor the winds are so strong that the top-heavy blue bins often topple over and the gardens are full of plastic milk bottles and tin cans. The Champagne and Sauvignon bottles tend to stay in the gutters though. :rolleyes:

HD

Just noticed the current ad at the bottom of this page. lol

attachicon.gifBins.jpg

I think that's called "targeted advertising".

It works using these web bot things like Google AdSense.

Sometimes this type of advertising can be really clever and useful as it relates directly to the topic in question.

Other times it can be really annoying.

Most of you seemed to have missed the point.

You don't have a choice. If you want to use the blue wheeled bin for paper you can (which was it's original purpose), but you CAN NOT have another wheelie bin for cans and bottles. You have to use the BOX. In my original request I pointed out that we could buy a "red" bin to replace the box. But they refused to empty it, so that advert below doesn't help!

To be honest most people on my estate don't use either box or blue bin. One person doesn't even use the black bin! The litter bin on the corner of the street seems to fill up quick is all I can say say to that!

I suspect the reason that they don't want to let us have the option of a RED wheelie bin for cans etc is that it would create more waste for them to take away, costing more money.

Boxes are not used by all Council's. Derbyshire seem to have two bins for paper and cans and a green bin, which in Sheffield is not standard.

My friends in Chesterfield & North East Derbyshire all seem to rave about the wonders of the "Burgundy Bin" system.

OK, it's a different colour and not a particularly attractive one at that, - but it seems to be able to take all manner of mixed recyclable items which are then all collected together. This just leaves them with a black bin for non-recyclable stuff, and a green bin for garden waste.

Likewise.

Besides which, we've already got 2 great lumps of plastic in the garden. Don't want another thanks.

We've only ever had a blue bin and a black bin . Never had a green one or a green collection of any sort.

I've seen brown ones, what are they for?

Before the black wheelie bins we had brown paper bags that the foxes used to rip into.

This got me thinking of the year we first got our first black wheelie bins , can anyone remember what year it was?

We've only ever had a blue bin and a black bin . Never had a green one or a green collection of any sort.

I've seen brown ones, what are they for?

Before the black wheelie bins we had brown paper bags that the foxes used to rip into.

This got me thinking of the year we first got our first black wheelie bins , can anyone remember what year it was?

Before the black wheelie bins we had the traditional galvanised steel dustbin,

Somewhere down the garden we still have it, - however, being a later model it had a thick, heavy duty, black rubber lid and not the original style matching galvanised steel lid.

Before the black wheelie bins we had the traditional galvanised steel dustbin,

Somewhere down the garden we still have it, - however, being a later model it had a thick, heavy duty, black rubber lid and not the original style matching galvanised steel lid.

But can you remember the days before the galvanised bins were emptied by bin lifts into the refuse waggon.

When I were a lad, he he the binman carried a "skip" on his shoulder to wherever the bin was stored in the yard. He then emptied the entire contents of the bin into the skip, usually scattering ashes all over the yard.

He then hoisted the "skip" and contents up onto his shoulder and walked with it balanced there, back down the yard and the "entry" to the truck where he tipped it over the side. He then repeated this procedure for each bin in the yard.

These skips were like a oval tin bath but with shallower sides. The binman wore a heavy (and extremely dirty), leather cape around his shoulders to give him some protection.

I think these "skips" were phased out some time in the early fifties.

Today's elf & safety advisors would have apoplexy.

HD

But can you remember the days before the galvanised bins were emptied by bin lifts into the refuse waggon.

When I were a lad, he he the binman carried a "skip" on his shoulder to wherever the bin was stored in the yard. He then emptied the entire contents of the bin into the skip, usually scattering ashes all over the yard.

He then hoisted the "skip" and contents up onto his shoulder and walked with it balanced there, back down the yard and the "entry" to the truck where he tipped it over the side. He then repeated this procedure for each bin in the yard.

These skips were like a oval tin bath but with shallower sides. The binman wore a heavy (and extremely dirty), leather cape around his shoulders to give him some protection.

HD

I can't remember the skip, but the galvanised bins had handles on so that the binman could carry it, usually over his shoulder like the skip, and manually empty it into the back of the bin wagon, - not using a mechanical hoist system as is used now.

I can't remember the skip, but the galvanised bins had handles on so that the binman could carry it, usually over his shoulder like the skip, and manually empty it into the back of the bin wagon, - not using a mechanical hoist system as is used now.

And I remember the side loaders a bit like this one below

Beat me to it Steve. :)

I thought that was a possible, and I was going to put it in the "where's this" or "mystery" this morning.

HD

So would todays bin men.

I remember the heavy leather capes they wore as the coal men used to have the same sort of thing for their

heavy sacks on their shoulders.

In weather like we have just had , many households use to scatter their coal ashes onto the snow and ice

instead of putting them in the bin.

No grit bins then.

Nice pictures Vox, I am enjoying reading this load of rubbish.

And I was wondering, does anyone visit the rubbish tip themselves?

See, we don't have a rubbish collection where we live. About once a month we take all our rubbish, the stuff we haven't burned or composted, in a trailer to the tip. They encourage us to recycle by charging us lower tip fees if we separate the recycleables out. There is also a tip shop where you can buy other people's junk. I get most of my second hand books there, people take them in cardboard boxes and 'donate' them to be re-used. They sell for 50 cents to a dollar each.

Back to my original question, are you allowed to dump rubbish at the tip site?

That looks like Olive Grove Road, next to the depot.

Nearly presant day shot of Olive Grove Road care of Google Earth subtle differances maybe modernisation ?? (Or possible where is this ? )

Trojan

The company was founded by Leslie Hayward Hounsfield (1877–1957)[1] who went into business as a general engineer in a small workshop called the Polygon Engineering Works in Clapham, South London. He got the idea to make a simple, economical car that would be easy to drive and started design work in 1910.

Continue on Wikipedia

Nearly presant day shot of Olive Grove Road care of Google Earth subtle differances maybe modernisation ?? (Or possible where is this ? )

Not quite right is it steve. I've driven up and down on "streetview" and can't quite match it up either.