Torworth Road

Oldbloke

Has anybody an idea where this might have been? I can't find any mention of it anywhere except in a burial record.

Has anybody an idea where this might have been? I can't find any mention of it anywhere except in a burial record.

Anymore information at all please ? A decade might assist.

Is it Sheffield or outlying Ecclesfield, Bradfield - does it say please ?

It's in the Sheffield Indexers burial records

SIMPSON, Frank (son of J Simpson, age 4).

Died at 1 Torworth Rd; Buried on October 14, 1897 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 27, Section V1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

I'm sure that I've seen it on a map in the past, but I've no idea where. The family moved around the Attercliffe, Brightside and Burngreave area. In 1891 they lived on Verdon Street and in 1901 at Robinson's Stables Saville Street. Father was John SImpson, a horsekeeper / carter.

It's in the Sheffield Indexers burial records

I'm sure that I've seen it on a map in the past, but I've no idea where. The family moved around the Attercliffe, Brightside and Burngreave area. In 1891 they lived on Verdon Street and in 1901 at Robinson's Stables Saville Street. Father was John SImpson, a horsekeeper / carter.

Clutching at straws here, but is this from a handwritten entry? In which case could it be Tockwith Road?

It could be a transcription error. It appears twice, in 1893 for Mary Ellen Simpson and again in 1897 for Frank. Not to worry, something will come up eventually.

It could be a transcription error. It appears twice, in 1893 for Mary Ellen Simpson and again in 1897 for Frank. Not to worry, something will come up eventually.

I ask because I checked the streetnames book, which has current and former names where they've changed, and it's not in either list.

I could have done with that when I was hunting for Hicks Road yesterday. I could find Hicks Street easily, but Hicks Road took me a few hours to crack.

It seems that Torworth Road was "at the back of J D Robinson's stables in Savile Street" according to the enumerator for East Brightside District 14.

Robinsons Stables in turn appear to have been at about 180 Savile Street, between the Don Steelworks and the Albion Works, along with Limport Road in the 1901 Census.

The area seems to have redevoloped soon after 1901.

Conflicting information from Kelly's 1893 for your consideration.

Pickford and Co. general carriers (stables)

Great Western Railway (John Drinkwater Robinson, agent)

Robinson John Drinkwater, traction engine proprietor

...... here is Attercliffe Road ...

next premises listed Edward Hargreaves, shopkeeper 212 Saville Street.

nearby is Royal Oak at 250 Saville Street

It seems that Torworth Road was "at the back of J D Robinson's stables in Savile Street" according to the enumerator for East Brightside District 14.

Robinsons Stables in turn appear to have been at about 180 Savile Street, between the Don Steelworks and the Albion Works, along with Limport Road in the 1901 Census.

John D Robinson, 34 Osgathorpe Road in 1891 ...

John Drinkwater Robinson is living at 2 Priory Road in 1901, his occupation is listed as Carting Contractor.

Robinson, John D. (, general carrier & carting agent for the Great Western Railway Co.). Residing at 180 Savile Street h.40 Wolstenholm Road, in 1905. (White's 1905)

This is the only idea I have : Savile Street / Attercliffe Road junction with 12 o'clock inn on the corner