Lousiana Purchase

RichardB

Typical isn't it.

We go to war with America over our share of the American states, get a good beating and end up losing the territory.

The French decide to sell their share of the American states to the Americans and make money out of it.

We end up with a bloody nose, and the French end up richer.

Sometimes we get it wrong and the French get it right.

Fascinating link Richard, enjoyed reading through it but I'm thinking, why the Louisiana Purchase?

I'm not looking for a Sheffield connection, so what suddenly grabbed you?

and what about :

The Atlantic Charter

The Boxer Protocol

Treaty of Guadalupe / Hidalgo

Boston Tea Party

The Alaska Purchase

Gettysburg Address

The Clayton-Bulwer Treaty

The First Geneva Convention

Etc, etc, etc

Just curious. :)

Did a little following of the Lewis and Clarke trails on our first visit to USA - just because they were there and we were interested.

Second visit to US involved a car ride from Oklahoma to Iowa, so, pretty close to the 100th meridian

and third trip, from Frisco, North of Dallas to South Dakoto was again, pretty much a trip right up the middle of the area covered by the Lousiana Purchase; so, read a little at the time.

Preston Road, Frisco, Dallas is the site where the majority of the Cattle Trails took off from ... the Shawnee Trail/Preston Trail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco,_Texas

Fascinating link Richard, enjoyed reading through it but I'm thinking, why the Louisiana Purchase?

I'm not looking for a Sheffield connection, so what suddenly grabbed you?

and what about :

The Atlantic Charter

The Boxer Protocol

Treaty of Guadalupe / Hidalgo

Boston Tea Party

The Alaska Purchase

Gettysburg Address

The Clayton-Bulwer Treaty

The First Geneva Convention

Etc, etc, etc

Just curious. :)

Perhaps not Thylacine

Having the Americans speak a combination of 3 languages (English, Jibberish and Rubbish) is bad enough.

But their Political and Legal systems are overly complex and incomprehensible.

How long does it take Britain to vote in a new Government, Answer, 1 day (a polling day, usually on a Thursday)

How long does it take America to vote in a new Government, Answer, about 2 years (well there's primaries, secondaries and state by state voting, - it takes foever!)

Perhaps not Thylacine

Having the Americans speak a combination of 3 languages (English, Jibberish and Rubbish) is bad enough.

But their Political and Legal systems are overly complex and incomprehensible.

How long does it take Britain to vote in a new Government, Answer, 1 day (a polling day, usually on a Thursday)

How long does it take America to vote in a new Government, Answer, about 2 years (well there's primaries, secondaries and state by state voting, - it takes foever!)

A few things I dislike about America:

Gun culture

Current "entertainment" industry

Health system

Language

Global policeman ethos

Insurance / litigation culture

Capitalism masquerading as democracy

There is another which I'll keep separate because it is controversial and could be the opinion of one man.

Encarcerating suspects, not for killing people but, as Pres. Bush said, 'For killing Americans' as if they, as a race have some superior right to life. (see Aryan Race)

A few things I dislike about America:

There is another which I'll keep separate because it is controversial and could be the opinion of one man.

Encarcerating suspects, not for killing people but, as Pres. Bush said, 'For killing Americans' as if they, as a race have some superior right to life. (see Aryan Race)

Although America seems to champion "human rights" and "all men created equal" in their constitution, their own record on the way they have treated both native Americans (wrongly refered to as "Indians") and black Americans (the free descendents of former African slaves) leaves a lot to be desired.

I seem to remember from my American history that in the late 19th century after the Civil War a white American (ie a European immigrant) had 3 votes, a freed slave or black American was begrudgingly allowed 1 vote, and a native American Indian had not vote at all.

That's not exactly what we would call "Democracy" is it?

I don't disagree, but mind you, we've had our moments...!

War of Jenkin's ear

The incident that gave its name to the war had occurred in 1731 when the British brig Rebecca was boarded by the Spanish coast guard La Isabela, commanded by Julio León Fandiño. After boarding, Fandiño cut off the left ear of the Rebecca's captain, Robert Jenkins, who had been accused of piracy. Fandiño told Jenkins, "Go, and tell your King that I will do the same, if he dares to do the same." In March 1738, Jenkins was ordered to attend Parliament, presumably to repeat his story before a committee of the House of Commons. According to some accounts, he produced the severed ear when he attended, although no detailed record of the hearing exists.[10] The incident was considered alongside various other cases of "Spanish Depredations upon the British Subjects,"[11] and was perceived as an insult to the honour of the nation and a clear casus belli.[7]

And again...!

A notable and controversial example of gunboat diplomacy was the Don Pacifico Incident in 1850, in which the British Foreign Secretary Lord Palmerston dispatched a squadron of the Royal Navy to blockade the Greek port of Piraeus in retaliation for the harming of a British subject, David Pacifico, in Athens, and the subsequent failure of the government of King Otto to compensate the Gibraltar-born (and therefore British) Pacifico.

I don't disagree, but mind you, we've had our moments...!

War of Jenkin's ear

The incident that gave its name to the war had occurred in 1731 when the British brig Rebecca was boarded by the Spanish coast guard La Isabela, commanded by Julio León Fandiño. After boarding, Fandiño cut off the left ear of the Rebecca's captain, Robert Jenkins, who had been accused of piracy. Fandiño told Jenkins, "Go, and tell your King that I will do the same, if he dares to do the same." In March 1738, Jenkins was ordered to attend Parliament, presumably to repeat his story before a committee of the House of Commons. According to some accounts, he produced the severed ear when he attended, although no detailed record of the hearing exists.[10] The incident was considered alongside various other cases of "Spanish Depredations upon the British Subjects,"[11] and was perceived as an insult to the honour of the nation and a clear casus belli.[7]

When we had a cover teacher for history instead of Man "dictated notes" Dixon, our usual teacher we were asked by the cover teacher, obviously a drama teacher, to act out a scene from the history we had studied.

Having recently been dictated several pages of notes about "The War Of Jenkins Ear" by Man Dixon we chose to act it out.

Well, you guessed it, being a rough school on the Arbourthorne (Norfolk) the boarding of the ship and ensuing battle in which Jenkins ear was cut off quickly deteriorated into a free for all fight amongst the form which the cover teacher had great difficulty controlling and probably wished she had never bothered to set us such a task.

We enjoyed it and wanted to act out other scenes from history, - the battle of Hastings, the murder of Thomas-a-Beckett, the D-day landings....

All would have made a great punch up.

When we had a cover teacher for history instead of Man "dictated notes" Dixon, our usual teacher we were asked by the cover teacher, obviously a drama teacher, to act out a scene from the history we had studied.

Having recently been dictated several pages of notes about "The War Of Jenkins Ear" by Man Dixon we chose to act it out.

Well, you guessed it, being a rough school on the Arbourthorne (Norfolk) the boarding of the ship and ensuing battle in which Jenkins ear was cut off quickly deteriorated into a free for all fight amongst the form which the cover teacher had great difficulty controlling and probably wished she had never bothered to set us such a task.

We enjoyed it and wanted to act out other scenes from history, - the battle of Hastings, the murder of Thomas-a-Beckett, the D-day landings....

All would have made a great punch up.

I remember when I worked in the Schools Service visiting a primary school in Sheffield, and passing the hall, there were kids on the stage hurling bean bags at others who were balanced on benches pointing towards them, all making a terrific racket. The head saw me looking and said 'English History, they're on the cliffs repelling the Vikings!' Then came the National Curriculum...

I remember when I worked in the Schools Service visiting a primary school in Sheffield, and passing the hall, there were kids on the stage hurling bean bags at others who were balanced on benches pointing towards them, all making a terrific racket. The head saw me looking and said 'English History, they're on the cliffs repelling the Vikings!' Then came the National Curriclum...

The previous 2 posts sort of remind me of this.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vMqSmiC_xHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The previous 2 posts sort of remind me of this.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vMqSmiC_xHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very much so Dave!