Definitely Not Victorian .. Most Probably

RichardB

Featured here is a rare, vintage CARTER & SONS - SHEFFIELD LIMITED - INK BOTTLE for blue black ink from the Victorian era. Unique cork was never removed & missing a small part on top. Original paper label is in good condition, with just a small part missing on the upper left corner. Bottle shows a lot of bubbles & still contains some ink. Diameter: 1 3/4 inches (42 mm) & 2 3/4 inches tall (67 mm). No damage to see on glass body.

eBay

£9.34, 1 bid.

However ...

Geoffrey Cecil Carter, Manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons), known addresses :

home 9 Silver Birch Avenue, Fulwood (1911)

home 125 Crookes Road (1919)

home 23 Durham Road (1925)

Thomas Carter, Manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons), known addresses :

Dam House, Mushroom Lane (picture link opportunity) (1911)

Shire House, Shire Green (1919)

home Cliffe House, Elm Lane (1925)

Featured here is a rare, vintage CARTER & SONS - SHEFFIELD LIMITED - INK BOTTLE for blue black ink from the Victorian era. Unique cork was never removed & missing a small part on top. Original paper label is in good condition, with just a small part missing on the upper left corner. Bottle shows a lot of bubbles & still contains some ink. Diameter: 1 3/4 inches (42 mm) & 2 3/4 inches tall (67 mm). No damage to see on glass body.

eBay

£9.34, 1 bid.

However ...

Geoffrey Cecil Carter, Manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons), known addresses :

home 9 Silver Birch Avenue, Fulwood (1911)

home 125 Crookes Road (1919)

home 23 Durham Road (1925)

Thomas Carter, Manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons), known addresses :

Dam House, Mushroom Lane (picture link opportunity) (1911)

Shire House, Shire Green (1919)

home Cliffe House, Elm Lane (1925)

OK, so 1911 to 1925 would make it George V rather than Victorian (we even had Edward VII between the two.

But you are overlooking something here Richard.

The seller lives in Connecticut, USA.

Since when have the Americans ever known anything about British History?

Or even their own history?

I was listening to Radio 2 a few days ago on July 4th, - American Independence Day

They reported that a survey had been done, by asking a random sample of Americans, on the anniversary of the most important date in their history, the question, -

On Independence Day, which country do we in the United States celebrate our independence from?

The percentage of Americans who gave the correct answer was :blink::unsure::blink: ????

Well, it wasn't fantastic but to increase the number of posts on the site I will leave you guessing.

I feel sure that if you asked a random sample of English people "who won the Battle of Hastings?" (as 1066 is as important a date in our histort as 1776 is in American history, - but considerably further into the past) I am sure you would get a greater % of correct responses.

Honestly, I've been asked by an American (whilst I was in the USA) whether I celebrated Independence Day.

I did reply "Who are you celebrating Independence from ?"

Honestly, I've been asked by an American (whilst I was in the USA) whether I celebrated Independence Day.

I did reply "Who are you celebrating Independence from ?"

Anyway, the description on eBay is not a deliberate attempt to defraud or make false claims, - it's just some American who doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to something British, - or even European.

The bottle dates from the reign of George V and not Victoria.

I would also like to know what a "unique cork" is?

Does he mean a plain old cork but with a makers stamp mark on it like you sometimes get with wine bottle corks?

..and what is the "small piece missing from the top"?

Is it merely a piece of cork that is missing?

Now, if Americans could read, write and speak ENGLISH properly then perhaps all this would be clear.

Now, if Americans could read, write and speak ENGLISH properly then perhaps all this would be clear.

You know what they say Dave, "Two countries separated by a common language"!

Anyway, the description on eBay is not a deliberate attempt to defraud or make false claims, - it's just some American who doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to something British, - or even European.

The bottle dates from the reign of George V and not Victoria.

I would also like to know what a "unique cork" is?

Does he mean a plain old cork but with a makers stamp mark on it like you sometimes get with wine bottle corks?

..and what is the "small piece missing from the top"?

Is it merely a piece of cork that is missing?

I think the implication is that it is unique in that it has not been opened.

You know what they say Dave, "Two countries separated by a common language"!

It is only by the narrowest of margins that the National language of the USA became English.

It could quite easily have been French, as France owned Louisiana which at that time was a massive territory running inland the length of the Mississippi / Missouri.

It could even have become jointly English and French, - a bit like it's northern neighbour Canada still is to this day.

Or it could have been a Mexican version of Spanish, as Spain held all the western states at that time.

or a version of Spanish and French with a bit of African thrown in, - like Creole.

Now, had history turned out differently and the American National language had become French and the Americans had messed it about like they have done with English, then I would just love to see the Galic reaction of the French people when someone messes around with their language.

I think the implication is that it is unique in that it has not been opened.

In that case I have a unique collection of bottles of various wines and beers. B)

..but they won't stay "unique" for very long!!! ;-)

It could quite easily have been French, as France owned Louisiana which at that time was a MASSIVE territory running inland the length of the Mississippi / Missouri.

The "Louisiana Purchase" ... Details

Started a thread in Non Sheffield History.

The "Louisiana Purchase" ... Details

Started a thread in Non Sheffield History.

Wow!!

We even do American history now!

Is there nothing we can't do on this site?

Wow!!

We even do American history now!

Is there nothing we can't do on this site?

Bit of an interest of mine; travelled up the 98th/100th Meridian a couple of times, chased around the Lewis and Clarke trails a bit too.

Sent 'em a message.

Dear belligerentyorkshireman,

Thanks for info. Greetings from New England. Ernie at tin-and-things

Guest Trefcon

It is only by the narrowest of margins that the National language of the USA became English.

It could quite easily have been French, as France owned Louisiana which at that time was a massive territory running inland the length of the Mississippi / Missouri.

It could even have become jointly English and French, - a bit like it's northern neighbour Canada still is to this day.

Or it could have been a Mexican version of Spanish, as Spain held all the western states at that time.

or a version of Spanish and French with a bit of African thrown in, - like Creole.

Now, had history turned out differently and the American National language had become French and the Americans had messed it about like they have done with English, then I would just love to see the Galic reaction of the French people when someone messes around with their language.

Dave, i read somewhere that the Americans had a vote on which language to adopt, by 7 votes they decided on English instead of German !

Dave, i read somewhere that the Americans had a vote on which language to adopt, by 7 votes they decided on English instead of German !

I have also read exactly the same thing Trefcon, so with 8 more votes in favour of German as their national language they could be a nation hell bent on messing up the meaning and pronunciation of German words instead of English.

However, if they had gone for German in the 19th century (when the vote took place) whose side would they have been on in two 20th century wars?

Probably not ours, probably the Germans.

So perhaps we have something to be thankful for.

Although Germany (at the time Prussia) had no territories in America there must have been a hell of a lot of German speaking migrants (as well as Italians and Irish) at that time to force a vote as tightly as that.