Help Needed!

Guest Rachel C

Guest Rachel C

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this, so please bear with me!

I've managed to trace the family back to a confectioner: Joseph Cundey who I understand lived and worked at 38 West Street in 1837. I've managed to find his wife and children in the 1841 census, but he appears to have slipped off this mortal coil - but I can't find any record of that either!!

Does anyone know of or have any old photographs of 38 West Street? The closest I can find is number 49 and even Google Earth won't let me down that end of West Street (FYI - I am now living in Blackburn Lancs, so nipping down West Street isn't really an option!).

Also does anyone have any information relating to the Cundey family as even Sheffield Indexers isn't producing a death/birth/marriage certificate for Joseph?

Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Rachel C

Hi all,

I've managed to trace the family back to a confectioner: Joseph Cundey who I understand lived and worked at 38 West Street in 1837. I've managed to find his wife and children in the 1841 census, but he appears to have slipped off this mortal coil - but I can't find any record of that either!!

Does anyone know of or have any old photographs of 38 West Street? The closest I can find is number 49 and even Google Earth won't let me down that end of West Street (FYI - I am now living in Blackburn Lancs, so nipping down West Street isn't really an option!).

Also does anyone have any information relating to the Cundey family as even Sheffield Indexers isn't producing a death/birth/marriage certificate for Joseph?

Many thanks

Rachel C

Hello and welcome to the site Rachel C.

Believe in the name (but with variations e.g. Cundy); don't believe in Street numbers - they change. It's the town end of West Street; hopefully a Map-Fairie may be able to assist more.

Joseph Cundey, Baker and confectioner, 28 West Street (1833).

Numbers that low on West Street would make me also look at Bow Street - the bendy end of West Street used to be called Bow Strret.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Rachel C

Hi Rachel C,

in the era you mention the section of West Street you are trying to viw on Google was infact called Bow Street, it was at a later date that the name was changed to West Street.

Guest Rachel C

Now that is where I'm getting myself confused. I have trade directory references from 1833 and 1837 stating that Joseph is at 38 West Street and I understood that the road change to incorporate Bow Street was 1895 ish?! Will focus on some old maps! Thanks for your help :-)

Hi all,

Many thanks

Rachel C

Welcome to Sheffield History Rachel C.

I have noticed that there are lots of holes in Google Earth / street view coverage

.. and according to a song from The Beatles 1967 album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" there are 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire! lol

Annoyingly the holes in the Google coverage always seem to be in the places you most want to look. :angry:

Now that is where I'm getting myself confused. I have trade directory references from 1833 and 1837 stating that Joseph is at 38 West Street and I understood that the road change to incorporate Bow Street was 1895 ish?! Will focus on some old maps! Thanks for your help :-)

Worth checking 1820's Directories ...

Guest Rachel C

Well West Street and Bow Street are two separate roads on the 1832 and 1890 maps - so at least I now know roughly where Joseph was! Will let you all know how I get on!

Thanks again!

Guest Rachel C

OK, so it was 28 West Street, not 38 (it really is too late to be staring at a screen), but have also found that he was a wine dealer and he died the summer of 1839... making progress!

Well West Street and Bow Street are two separate roads on the 1832 and 1890 maps - so at least I now know roughly where Joseph was! Will let you all know how I get on!

Thanks again!

Ann Cundy, confectioner, 91 West Street (1841) - note the spelling difference - transcribed as heard ??? Wife, daughter maybe ?Stranger things have ben known ...

Guest Rachel C

I have Ann as his wife, sons Thomas, William and John listed in the 1841 census - I can only make out Court 7 (?) West Street. UK Directories 1833 & 1837 show simply 28 West Street, so maybe they moved down in the world following Joseph's death?