Art Revealed By The BBC

Guest JSP

Well it's an excellent website for the Bbc! or BEEB or Baked Bean Company lol

Seriously the plan is to put 200,000 pictures on the website, currently around 63,000 uploaded! Planned completion late 2012 B)

Just seen this advertised on the BBC, many paintings tagged Sheffield;

BBC Art Revealed

They are going to add more with time.

Enjoy,

JP

I felt a bit embarrassed for you JSP, all those Mods mulling around on your 'case' taking the shine off what is a fantastic post. I have forwarded the link to all my arty friends (1).

Thank you Jsp.

(Can a moderator please edit that) :rolleyes:

I identified a few buildings e.g. Fosters (Tailor, draper), Thompsons (Confectioner, Tea dealers), Robinsons (Jewellers, watchmakers) from the High Street and Thomas Baines the hairdresser (Fargate)...

There are mire than 79 paintings for Sheffield, click the link for museums Sheffield and you will find more in their collection that don't show when searching 'sheffield'.

There are mire than 79 paintings for Sheffield, click the link for museums Sheffield and you will find more in their collection that don't show when searching 'sheffield'.

Thanks for that, useful tip!

Failed, miserably to find the link

Failed, miserably to find the link

If you can't find the link then use your favourite search engine to find the Museums Sheffield website, click the collections tab and then there is a little search box.

I identified a few buildings e.g. Fosters (Tailor, draper), Thompsons (Confectioner, Tea dealers), Robinsons (Jewellers, watchmakers) from the High Street and Thomas Baines the hairdresser (Fargate)...

Got this, frankly disappointing, reply :

Thank you for your email which included information about one of the

paintings on the BBC Your Paintings website. We're sorry that it's taken

so long to get back to you - we have had a lot of feedback and comments,

which we are currently working through.

Unfortunately we have a technical error on the site at the moment, which

means that we are not receiving the details of the painting that you

commented on - We are just receiving the comment itself (See your

comment below).

We'd love to be able to pass your information on to the collection where

the painting is kept. Are you able to send us either:

1. The web address of the page with the painting on it, or

2. The painting title (and if possible the artist, and the name of the

collection where the painting is kept)?

We will then make sure that the collection receives your information.

Keep an eye out for any more information you can provide. We really do

appreciate everything you can tell us! Plus, you can also leave comments

on the BBC Your Paintings Blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/yourpaintings/2011/06/share-your-discoveries.

shtml

We'd love your feedback, so log in at the bottom of the blog post to

share your views.

Many apologies for the inconvenience that this technical error has

caused.

Best wishes,

BBC Your Paintings Team

-----------------------------------------

Who would believe it of the BBC ?

Original message :

Thomas Baines, Hairdresser, 73 Fargate (White's Directory of

1852)

www.SheffieldHistory.co.uk

Now, it's Sheffield, 1850's and one building has Baine's written on it ...

My reply was posted on that pictures Reply screen; doesn't take a genius ...

Got this, frankly disappointing, reply :

I've replied :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/corner-of-fargate-and-pinstone-street-sheffield-72624

Thomas Baines, Hairdresser, 73 Fargate (White's Directory of 1852)

www.SheffieldHistory.co.uk

My other reply was to High Street, Sheffield (http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/high-street-sheffield-72649) and contained mention of Foster, Samuel Thompson, Confectioner and British wine, tea &c. dealer, of 1 High Street (1852); Thomas Robinson, Jeweller and watchmaker, 3 High Street; and by implication Samuel Harrison, Bookseller, binder, stationer, printer & patent vendor, Ordnance maps; William Foster, Tailors (and also drapers), 20 & 21 High Street (1852) - the "thing" on the extreme right looks like a Pub but is actually a boot and shoe dealers (find my original reply).

Disappointed.

RichardB.

If you can't find the link then use your favourite search engine to find the Museums Sheffield website, click the collections tab and then there is a little search box.

I'd appreciate links to any with names on buildings, Thank you. See what we can find for the BBC to lose.

RichardB.

With a jiggered finger ...

Two paintings confused.

The BBC site has got two paintings and their labels mixed up. We've managed to work out the following :

Cheney Square with St. Paul's by Godfrey Sykes (1858) here, is most certainly not Cheney Square. Cheney Square is straight with no other streets dividing off from it.

The view from Cheney Square is looking from North to South, this picture shows the South to North view - showing Pinstone Street (to the left) and Norfolk Street (to the right). Here is another view and yet another from PictureSheffield (the 1870 date means 1870-1879 and is questionable).

PictureSheffield states no. 37 (on the corner, centre of the picture is Robert Hubbard, wholesale and retail confectioner (of whom I have found nothing else).

The building with the ladder outside is The Three Horse Shoes, no. 92 Norfolk Street (publicans name to be posted if we decide on a year).

SteveHB has kindly produced this 1850's map segment, Thank you SteveHB.

Separate post in reply to this regarding the "other" picture.

Two paintings confused.

St Paul's Church, Sheffield by Godfrey Sykes here. 1850's again most likely.

This is actually a view of St Paul's Church from Cheney Square - Cheney Square being a short, straight street with no other streets dividing off from it. It ends at the junction with Cheney Row, with the wall of St Pauls and the gate and pathway directly opposite the end of Cheney Square.

Thanks again to SteveHB for the map.

Hopefully a search of PictureSheffield will bring up some photographs of the areas covered by both paintings.

BBC not informed (yet), let us see what we can find first.

St Paul's Church, Sheffield by Godfrey Sykes here. 1850's again most likely.

Hopefully a search of PictureSheffield will bring up some photographs of the areas covered by both paintings.

Old Cheney Square

Cottages on Greystones Road, unknown artist, c. 1870

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/cottages-on-greystones-road-sheffield-72708

This information received from my sister and posted to the BBC pictures bunch :

The house to the right still stands, the gable end you can just see is a row of now three, but formerly five, cottages that face onto Greystones Road.

For 37 years I lived in the top cottage within this row. The bottom “one up, one down” was where we moved into in 1973, it had toilet, we had to walk up the road by the top gable end to a shared block of 5 toilets.

The bottom “one up, one down” faced up the hill and backed onto Hornby Cottage the long time home to the Sibley family, I am still in touch with a member of the family, who’s parent was the local milkman.

He was originally a farmer and the farm house was situated up a small unadopted road way ...it is still there called Cow Lane, as the cows came up it at milking time.

My understanding is the same cottages were servants quarters for staff working the big house attatched to the side of Hornby house and within its own grounds ...and for staff working the fields.

Once the Farm was sold the Cliffe Farm estate was build on the land just above Cow Lane.

------------

also :

Robert Wilson, Farmer, Cliffe House, Cow Lane, Greystones Road (White's 1919)

George and Herbert Wilson, Farmers, Cliffe House, Cow Lane, Greystones Road (Kelly's 1925)

Anyone local ? we might need a picture of the 3 cottages facing onto Greystones Road (numbers 257 and downwards), plus the old "one up, one down", which is at the end of the row and faces up the hill. If anyone is passing please.

Hopefully we can raise a comment or two about this one.

Well as my first home, Wardsend Cottages, was a few yards away from the Five Arches Viaduct, I probably should comment on the picture.

If we assume that the view is from above the viaduct (east side) then the artist must have used a great deal of artistic licence. I can't understand what the aqueduct with the water pouring off the end is supposd to represent. Also what is represented by the objects above and right of the waterfall ?. Looking at old maps there never was any stream coming down the left hand hillside except much further up opposite Wordsworth Avenue.

If the view represents below the viaduct the water that came down from the smaller portion of Oxspring/Rawsons Dam and passed through the old Rawson's water mill was at a much lower level beside Wardsend Cottages. Old maps from before and after the painting date show nothing like the scene depicted.

Of course the road through the arches was built up on an embankment in the 1930's in order to grade the new Herries Road built to serve the new estates. The overflows from the main dam were culverted in an s plan tunnel to come out by the side of the Elseworths Saw Factory now an office furnishings supplier. The tail goit from the mill was culverted down the side of the cottages and came out in the outfall of the big tunnel.

HD

Cottages on Greystones Road, unknown artist, c. 1870

http://www.bbc.co.uk...sheffield-72708

Anyone local ? we might need a picture of the 3 cottages facing onto Greystones Road (numbers 257 and downwards), plus the old "one up, one down", which is at the end of the row and faces up the hill. If anyone is passing please.

Mr Google has been around!

This one looks to me like Manchester Road, looking up towards the Bell Hagg Inn. You can't see it from down the road now, but Picture Sheffield has some pics that are clearer.

This one looks to me like Manchester Road, looking up towards the Bell Hagg Inn. You can't see it from down the road now, but Picture Sheffield has some pics that are clearer.

That was my first thought Bayleaf. Of course a large part of the outcrop opposite the pub has been taken away by more recent quarrying.

HD

Mr Google has been around!

Thank you. On picture one is shown The Start of the Sheffield War of the Worlds with a sleeping alien invader at the upper right hand side ... probably he he

That was my first thought Bayleaf. Of course a large part of the outcrop opposite the pub has been taken away by more recent quarrying.

HD

Thanks HD and Bayleaf. Is this the PictureSheffield image, it certainly shows the pub and the quarry and names the owner, or is there a closer match to the painting please ?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)y01894($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOW1hbmNoZXN0ZXIlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JTNCQU5EJTNCYWxsJTNCTUFUQ0hFUyUzQiUyOCU1RSU3QyslMkIlMjlyb2FkJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJm9wZXJhdGlvbj1BTkQmcGFnZT0xNA==