How To Search Ancestry 1911 Census, A Tutorial.

RichardS

As we know Ancestry hasn't indexed the 1911 census, yet FMP have it indexed, well there is a way I worked out to use the free FMP index to pinpoint people.

I've only done the Sheffield Enumeration districts, but it could work for anywhere in the country if you put in the legwork finding the ref no.'s, anyhow heres how to do it.

Firstly open Ancestry 1911 census page and find someone on FMP's index you would like to look at, i'll pull up my Great Grandfather, Herbert Stork (1887-1947):

Whilst that page it open, view the page source, I'm using IE:

Now locate, said chap on the page that opens and note the reference under the person (in blue):

We now have what we need, basically RG 27876 page 461.....bingo!

To find that on the 1911 on Ancestry, i've indexed the start point of each district in the Sheffield area:

Under civil district, Sheffield:

Attercliffe 27989

East Brightside 27960

Handsworth 28027

Hillsborough 27911

North Sheffield 27868

Sheffield Park 27893

South Sheffield 27849

West Brightside 27924

Ecclesall:

Broomhall 27831

Ecc North 27701

Ecc South 27779

Ecc West Central 27721

Norton 27766

Sharrow 27812

Ecc. Beachief, Norton 27764

Handsworth 28028

Ecclesfield 27665

Righty as I have 27876 as the one I have to look for, it falls into North Sheffield (which starts 27868), so on Ancestry, fire up north Sheffield:

As I have said North Sheffield, starts with enumeration district 1, which is RG 27868, I want 27876, so simply go 8 further districts along......emumeration district 9:

Once you have that page open, go back to the original ref number 27876, page 461 and enter this number into box on top right, but ALWAYS add 1 to the page number, (to do with the index page):

Ta da.....Great Grandaddykins, if you click the next page, that has the address on it too.

It sounds complicated, but its really simple and can take less than 30 seconds to bring up a page once you get used to it, I thought i'd share it with you anyway.

Anyone has any problems, just ask me and i'll help you through it.

As we know Ancestry hasn't indexed the 1911 census, yet FMP have it indexed, well there is a way I worked out to use the free FMP index to pinpoint people.

I've only done the Sheffield Enumeration districts, but it could work for anywhere in the country if you put in the legwork finding the ref no.'s.

Sounds great - I will have a go !!

:)

Hi Richard, I am struggling to find district 28036 in Sheffield . Help please ?

John

Managed to sort it - phew !!!

John

Guest Paul C

Thanks for posting this, I'm finding it to be a great help! Can you check the ref for Hillsborough though, I think it should be 27911 not 29911.