Footprint Tools

vox

Another from The Star that I've just come across

Jack Jewitt, died 06/05/2011

Known as "Young Mister Jack" to us who worked there in the mid sixties, the then managing director being his father, "Mister Jack"

(Mister being pronounced - as of course it would be in those days - Mester)

A reminder of times past for Footprint Tools (and the neighbours on Hollis Croft)

I have no idea of the year.

Both there in 1925.

Thomas R Ellin there 1904-1950 (at least). GracesGuide

Crampton, Cramp Manufacturers, I have only found in 1925 (room for improvement).

A reminder of times past for Footprint Tools (and the neighbours on Hollis Croft)

I have no idea of the year.

The Crampton Brothers were certainly in business in November 1869 - 2 of their ex-employees, Jeremiah and Isaiah Stych were in court sorting out a disagreement between them about pay in their new business.

The partnership between William and Willoughby Crampton was dissolved in 1891, William carrying on alone:

The firm was dissolved in December 1980

As young apprentices at Associated Electrical Industries ( Metro-Vicks ) in the early sixties we were each shown how to make a copy of a Footprint Wrench in the training workshop.

The body of the wrench was fabricated out of 3mm mild steel plate and bent into the U shape on a hydraulic press. It was fitted with a jaw insert made from hardened tool steel riveted into the body.

The movable bit of the wrench had the jaw-teeth case hardened.

I wonder how many Footprint trade marks it contravened.

I used it for about thirty years before some thieving so and so walked off with it.

It was still in excellent condition with no wear on the jaws.

HD

A few photos of the Footprint Works on Hollis Croft which I took in August 2016. When I was young I was fascinated by the factory having a bridge over the road and my father would divert that way on my behalf whenever we were in the area.

1638_footprint.jpg

1641_Footprint.jpg

1640_Footprint.jpg

1639_footprint.jpg

1643_Footprint.jpg

From an old version of the Footprint website:

We are often asked where our name and trademark, "Footprint" - or more correctly the outline of a foot - originated from. We think that when Thomas Ellin was starting his new company and thus looking for a suitable trademark, he must have been reading Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe". In the company's archives, we have an illustrated edition of this book from the last century, which on one page depicts Crusoe finding Friday's footprint in the sand. One of these - the left foot in outline, is circled and in the margin are written the words - "possible trademark".

I was their sales rep in Lanashire in the late 60/early 70s.  Nice firm to work for  and I am still in touch. Still in business and owned by the same family.