Sheffield During The War

peterwarr

I am researching World War One in Sheffield, and have belatedly been advised to look at the forum SHEFFIELD DURING THE WAR.

I’ve not considered that relevant to me, because it is described as covering “the blitz” and “the war” (i.e., WW2 alone). But the content is (pleasingly for me) quite different – mainly covering the previous war.

Could the description be altered to something like “Sheffield and Sheffielders in Two World Wars”?

Not just two to be be fair.......includes some Boer info and previous, Afghan etc

But i'm sure people get the drift.

I am researching World War One in Sheffield, and have belatedly been advised to look at the forum SHEFFIELD DURING THE WAR.

I’ve not considered that relevant to me, because it is described as covering “the blitz” and “the war” (i.e., WW2 alone). But the content is (pleasingly for me) quite different – mainly covering the previous war.

Could the description be altered to something like “Sheffield and Sheffielders in Two World Wars”?

Welcome to Sheffield History peterwarr and thank you for posting these comments.

Interestingly the admin team have considered at some stage changing the name of this topic to something more meaningful but we haven't actually done it yet.

In the meantime as you are interested in the first World war are you aware of this new site?

SHEFFIELD SOLDIERS OF THE GREAT WAR

The site is run by 2 of our more prolific members, Trefcon, who is an expert on Sheffield soldiers of World War 1 and has spent years researching it and collecting masses of data and Stuart0742 who is more technically minded and is collating the data and producing a functional website based on it.

Much of the information is already in the "Sheffield during the War" topic and I am sure that if you post any enquiry about WW1 in that topic you will probably get an excellent and very helpful reply from Trefcon.

Welcome to Sheffield History peterwarr and thank you for posting these comments.

Interestingly the admin team have considered at some stage changing the name of this topic to something more meaningful but we haven't actually done it yet.

Maybe "Sheffield and Sheffielders at War" would cover all the options?

In the meantime as you are interested in the first World war are you aware of this new site?

SHEFFIELD SOLDIERS OF THE GREAT WAR

The site is run by 2 of our more prolific members, Trefcon, who is an expert on Sheffield soldiers of World War 1 and has spent years researching it and collecting masses of data and Stuart0742 who is more technically minded and is collating the data and producing a functional website based on it.

Much of the information is already in the "Sheffield during the War" topic and I am sure that if you post any enquiry about WW1 in that topic you will probably get an excellent and very helpful reply from Trefcon.

Thanks, I’m already on the Sheffield Soldiers During the Great War Newsletter list, and have received great assistance from Dean Hill. (Amongst other things, I’m researching names on the WW1 memorial outside St John’s, Ranmoor.)

Maybe "Sheffield and Sheffielders at War" would cover all the options?

Yes, it’s fine when you’re there, but with the present title you may never find it.

I cannot change it; however, I have just sent Admin another message requesting the label be changed.

Oi, Admin

The SheffieldHistory "War" thread label needs changing; it's misleading and seems to point to WWII - we need it to reflect WWI + other conflicts.

Please PM Member Trefcon for details of what we/I/us want it to say; Trefcon used to be a cross-dresser called Deansgirl but he's the major contributor to the topic and is best placed to advise on the new wording.

Ta

Mush.

I cannot change it; however, I have just sent Admin another message requesting the label be changed.

Oi, Admin

The SheffieldHistory "War" thread label needs changing; it's misleading and seems to point to WWII - we need it to reflect WWI + other conflicts.

Please PM Member Trefcon for details of what we/I/us want it to say; Trefcon used to be a cross-dresser called Deansgirl but he's the major contributor to the topic and is best placed to advise on the new wording.

Ta

Mush.

and I've sent him an email requesting the same ...

and I've sent him an email requesting the same ...

Well put he he

Not sure Dean would agree about all of it

Oi, Admin

Ta

Mush.

Ah, that silver tongue of yours can't fail to persuade, Richard...

Well put he he

Not sure Dean would agree about all of it

About being the person to contact ? (I figured he knew more about it than all of us and would choose a suitable new name)

or about the cross-dressing ?

We all have our moments, mine's Saturday afternoon, mind you high-heels and gardening don't go well together ...

Guest Trefcon

SHEFFIELD AT WAR

you could could add the different conflicts but i think that would be a step too far. SHEFFIELD AT WAR does what it says on the tin. (been here before)

Its 'Rouge' nite tonite, lots of lippy smeared round mi' gob !! Then into our lasse's size 10 swimsuit, (Borat style) !

SHEFFIELD AT WAR

you could could add the different conflicts but i think that would be a step too far. SHEFFIELD AT WAR does what it says on the tin. (been here before)

Its 'Rouge' nite tonite, lots of lippy smeared round mi' gob !! Then into our lasse's size 10 swimsuit, (Borat style) !

Having met you both that's an alarming mental image - however me geting into any item of my wife's clothing will probably give you mental health issues for years - she has a scarf that fits me mind you ! (Well it goes around my neck)

SHEFFIELD AT WAR

I'll keep on the task until we get a result Dean/Everyone.