Office - Date

vox

I'm using office - version - don't know - but someone will recognise it from the screen-shots hopefully.

When I enter a date such as June 2011 it automatically fills in as Jun-11

In my previous version there was a way of stopping it from doing this but I can't find it in this version.

I've put up with it for months now and I'm finally fed up.

I normally get round it by typing a full stop after it but there has to be a better way surely.

As you can see: Type it as I want it (June 2011), down arrow to next cell gives (Jun-11)

Click back to first cell shows June-11 in the cell and 1/6/2011 in the data bar.

A lot of the time it doesn't matter, but occasionally I want it to record what I type.

Help please

Hi Vox - I use Office for Mac but the method should be the same.

- Choose/highlight the cell with the test in

- Choose the "Format" option

- Choose format "Cell"

- Choose "Date" & you can choose whichever date display you would like

Paul

I'm using office - version - don't know - but someone will recognise it from the screen-shots hopefully.

In my previous version there was a way of stopping it from doing this but I can't find it in this version.

I normally get round it by typing a full stop after it but there has to be a better way surely.

As you can see: Type it as I want it (June 2011), down arrow to next cell gives (Jun-11)

Click back to first cell shows June-11 in the cell and 1/6/2011 in the data bar.

A lot of the time it doesn't matter, but occasionally I want it to record what I type.

Help please

Help please

As Dunsby says Format the cell (s)

If rather than choose Date from the list choose custom and type in your own format

mmmm-yyyy will give you the month in full then the year ie June-2011

If it is just the odd cell you can always type a "Single Quotation" mark (same key as the @) this will over-ride the auto formatting and format the cell as text (so you get what you type)

The single quotation mark does not show in the cell.

The screenshots show that this version of office has the "ribbon" bar instead of the former drop down menus.

This would identify it as either Office 2007 or Office 2010

The previous versions, up to and including Office 2003 lacked this ribbon and older users knew exactly where to find any function they wanted in the drop down menus.

Unfortunately the new ribbon bar menu has rearranged things a bit and has got us having to look around for functions now hidden away which it one time we were familiar with and that is a bit of a pain, - so much so that many of us don't like the new version, even though it is fully functional.

Stuart is pretty good at doing almost anything in Microsoft Excel (which is the Office program shown in your screen shots) but he has kept his version of Office / Excel 2003 and he doesn't like using the 2 more recent versions, even at one point refusing to do so because he knows that what would be a few minutes work for him in the 2003 version would take him a lot longer in the newer versions.

Thanks all.

I don't like the new one either. As Dave says things are not where you expect them to be.

The only reason I'm using this one is because it came pre-loaded, and by the time I had realised how counter intuitive it is, I'd already invested a lot of time trying to figure it out so I stuck with it.

Another thing I don't like is that the spreadsheets and WP pages are the same colour so you have to be very careful when you have a combination of them open at the same time. It is very easy to hit the wrong X and end up closing the spreadsheet instead of the WP.

From time to time, I've also quickly shot to the top of the page and done a save and ended up saving the app which was behind. Not the end of the world I know, but irritating nevertheless.

I would like to have different background colours (Themes I think they call them) for the different components

Anyway, thanks again all

I don't like the ribbons, so I use this. you get an additional tab, 'Menu' , on the ribbon. Click on it and the ribbon becomes good old 2003 menus.

I don't like the ribbons, so I use this. you get an additional tab, 'Menu' , on the ribbon. Click on it and the ribbon becomes good old 2003 menus.

Done it

Great - Thanks

Much as I currently dislike ribbon bars I have decided to stick with them and try to get to grips with them instead of reverting back to good old drop down menus.

My reason for this is that they are currently the "in thing" and they are obviously here to stays.

It is a case of where MicroSoft leads others will follow.

Just look at how many third party, non MicroSoft programs have recently started using them, WinZip for example.

I suppose I will just get to master them and then they will come out with something newer and even more annoying.