Whitley Bay

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

I'm after an image of a headstone in Whitley Bay (St Paul) Churchyard, ref. In south west part 470.

It's for a Thomas Nicholson Jobling, he died in WW1.

Was wondering if anybody on here lived remotely near here and wouldn't mind getting me an image ?

Your very best mate Dean :ph34r:

I'm after an image of a headstone in Whitley Bay (St Paul) Churchyard, ref. In south west part 470.

Was wondering if anybody on here lived remotely near here and wouldn't mind getting me an image ?

I'm about 2 miles from there - remind me on when I forget !

Cheers big fella, was hoping you'd take the hint !!

Dean.

There are two Churches next to each other (almost); certainly one of them is very exposed to the elements, halfway up a pretty good hill - next to nothing left on most of the stones there (previous visit, looking for something else) - the one you are after I believe stands a much better chance - from a wind and rain and erosion point of view.

http://www.fototime.com/57AB9B2A2D17887/standard.jpg

Not even been there yet !

http://www.fototime....87/standard.jpg

Not even been there yet !

Does that mean he was a member of group of Northern Cyclists who joined up together or was was he in a Battalion of cyclists which would - have been a dangerous old job at the front?

Is Spanish City still going in Whitley Bay Richard?

Does that mean he was a member of group of Northern Cyclists who joined up together or was was he in a Battalion of cyclists which would - have been a dangerous old job at the front?

Is Spanish City still going in Whitley Bay Richard?

The Dome is still there, that's about it. The fairground out the back is now a new school.

I'm as confused as can be. I've been - it's St Peter's - even St Paul's Community Partnership of has this to say :

For those interested in tracing their family history, the early records of baptisms and marriages are held on microfiche in the archive sections of Newcastle's Discovery Museum and Woodhorn Museum near Ashington. There are no burials at St Paul's or records of funerals.

(No burials, but lots of gravestones, I looked to no avail ...

In the chancel are two war memorials. The WWI memorial is in the form of a marble scroll. The WWII memorial is in the form of a processional cross and has an unusual inscription to 'those men and women...killed by enemy action'. The inference is that it records the names of those who died at the front and in Willington Quay as a result of bombing raids

If you would like to visit St Paul's to take in its history we are open most week days during office hours or you can contact us to arrange a time to call in. - Shame I'm in Hexham !

Tried this, no reply.

St Paul's Centre, George Street, Willington Quay, NE28 6SL

Tel: 0191 280 2594

Source

Plus I'd hardly call it "Whitley Bay" - bit like saying Wicker, Hillsborough ...

There are two other St Pauls, one in Whitley Bay centre (no graves to the best of my knowledge, tiny place) plus a big one on the sea-front (or is that St George's http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-303430-church-of-st-paul-whitley-bay/map ?? - that's more Cullercoats (next place along - near the Sea-life centre)

The WWI link above shows a WWI memorial, but the file is called WWII ! No Jobling on there either ...

The map reference for St Paul's is actually Willington Quay, been there, no gravestones at all; reported to Dean on the phone. Will try for Whitley Bay proper, though I'm not very confident about either of those Churches.