Bishopsholme

Guest longleyboy

Guest longleyboy

Does anyone remember Bishopsholme that stood at top of herries road just near Busk Meadows,

seem to remember there was a murder there late 60s early 70s think at the time it was being used as a hostel for homeless families, Bishopsholme was demolished around 1976.

does anyone remember bishopsholme that stood at top of herries road just near busk meadows seem to remember there was a murder there late 60s early 70s think at the time it was being used as a hostel for homeless families bishopsholme was demolished around 1976.

I know Busk Meadows, but not Bishopsholme, anyone got a photo please ? May jog my memory .... or not :rolleyes:

As always Picture Sheffield came up trumps...What a site!

Bishopsholme was earlier known as Norwood Hall.

That's beyond me, don't know the place at all ..

Guest broughty40

I remember Norwood hall, someone told me long ago that the Bishop of Sheffield lived there sometime in the past and then it was used as a workhouse or orphanage, it had a creepy look about the place and their was rumours that it was haunted. I suspect that the haunting had something to do with the murder of a woman by her husband, I'm led to believe.

The house was a big place with a lot of grounds around it and old stables at the side, it was an ideal place to hang around when we where kids and a good place to hide in school time,(wag it).

Built 1710-1713

Manor Court Roll 1710 - Robert Sorsbie surrendered Norwood and 9 acres to William Taylor of Sheffield.

Willian dies 1719, house sold to John Grammer.

1769 - Norwood and lands leased by William Walton of Hathersage, to Samuel Glanville of the Angel Hotel, Sheffield.

1775 Glanville assigned the lease to James Wheat

Charles Edard Vickers, of the Manor House, Ecclesall bought Norwood and it was he that sold the estate to local trustees in 1918 for the use of Bishop Burrows, the Bishop of Sheffield - therefore Bishopsholme name....

1940 negotiations with Sheffield Corporation - used for a variety of purposes, then left empty, vandals etc, into ruin.

1969 Council applied for 'Listed Building Consent' to demolish it - refused.

1972 - Public Enquiry - Council informed they must NOT demolish it.

Saturday 5th June 1976 (early morning), building demolished - Council said afterwards it was on the grounds of "public safety"

(aka "it burnt down accidently" - 2 or more people born out of wedlock !)

Thus ended the life of Norwood Hall and Sheffield lost its only Queen Anne Building.

-------------------------------------------------

Source : Old Sheffield Town - J Edward Vickers

Outburst : Me

Angel Hotel and James Wheat mentioned elsewhere on this Forum....

and to think, I'd never heard of this building .....

Guest tsavo

1969 Council applied for 'Listed Building Consent' to demolish it - refused.

1972 - Public Enquiry - Council informed they must NOT demolish it.

Saturday 5th June 1976 (early morning), building demolished - Council said afterwards it was on the grounds of "public safety"

(aka "it burnt down accidentally" - 2 or more people born out of wedlock !)

Pretty sure, Richard, that it was demolished as structurally unsafe but not as a direct result of a fire. According to the Council, children has fastened a rope onto the main timber room beam and broken it by swinging on it. Strange though how many "emergency demolitions" are discovered to be needed in the wee small hours when the rest of us are asleep.

Do the council have special inspection teams checking overnight?.....maybe they could check for potholes, burglars, muggers etc while they're at it!

Shame in the previous 200 years they couldn't have made it structurally sound, like preserved it a bit, or kept it from being knocked down by the swing of a skipping rope .......

Didn't know the building, so I'm not able to comment really .... rather have this than Arundel Gate Underpass ... but I think you know where I'm coming from ....

Guest tsavo

Never actually saw the building but in the mid 70s a guy called Tim Martys was trying to raise interest and money to turn it into an Arts Centre.

From Peter Harvey's 'Sheffield in the 1930s'

"Dr Leonard Hedley Burrows, Bishop of Sheffield, expressed sorrow in 1939 that Sheffield had not cared better for its antiquities. It was sad , he said, that probably the oldest inhabited house in the city was the one he lived in , Bishopsholme at Norwood.'

Never a truer sentiment expressed!

ive been told that scampton lodge was built on the top of norwood hall does anyone know this to be true. it looks further up the hill on the map nearer to the stone wall that runs along herries road.

My late grand mother Mrs Winn was caretaker at B/H for many years. My late aunt Frances Gaudie also lived and worked there. My late mother Doris Hebden was seamstress there for many years.

As a youngster I roamed the place freely and spent countless hours in the house and on the grounds. I can vividly racall the old outbuildings which were long gone before the house itself.

I did meet the murdered lady who took over when my grandmother retired. I believe she was killed by her ex husband wielding a kitchen knife! Living in nearby Bishopsholme Rd. I B/H was my second home.

Guest frank100158

As kids we lived on Fairbank Road & Bishopholme road and spent hours during weekends & holidays running and playing in the grounds of the Bishopsholme, on the day of the murder we were sat on a fallen tree right opposite the front of the building when the police arrived - we had earlier also been chased away by the husband of the victim. We believed the property was being used to house single mothers.

As kids we lived on Fairbank Road & Bishopholme road and spent hours during weekends & holidays running and playing in the grounds of the Bishopsholme, on the day of the murder we were sat on a fallen tree right opposite the front of the building when the police arrived - we had earlier also been chased away by the husband of the victim. We believed the property was being used to house single mothers.

Thanks for that Frank, and welcome to the forum. It all adds to the sum of knowledge!

Guest skippywells1

i moved to edensor road in around 1971 and me and several friends played in the grounds making tarzan swings and dens etc,we also uesd to run up and accross the roof and to be fair it was fairly dodgey then, there were always patrols by securicor and we used to leg when they turned up