Sign in to follow this  
clive_w_nicholson

Toddles Woolhouse

I just got hold of this photograph of the Sheffield Association team that played the London Associaton in 1892.

The team line-up given is incorrect as Woolhouse is listed as the player that is clearly Needham.

Does anyone have the knowledge to identify Woolhouse for me as he was the reason I purchased the photograph. I don't have my research with me at the moment so cannot compare all the players against other photographs.

I just got hold of this photograph of the Sheffield Association team that played the London Associaton in 1892.

The team line-up given is incorrect as Woolhouse is listed as the player that is clearly Needham.

Does anyone have the knowledge to identify Woolhouse for me as he was the reason I purchased the photograph. I don't have my research with me at the moment so cannot compare all the players against other photographs.

Clive,

I'd say he is the one with the 'tache

Seriously though, there is a photo of a Wednesday team in 1890 in One hundred years at Hillsborough (page 14).

Harry 'Toddles' Woolhouse is on there and looks identical to the player 3rd from the right of the front row.

Cheers

Paul

Clive,

I'd say he is the one with the 'tache

Seriously though, there is a photo of a Wednesday team in 1890 in One hundred years at Hillsborough (page 14).

Harry 'Toddles' Woolhouse is on there and looks identical to the player 3rd from the right of the front row.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the help. Thought it might be him, but don't have my books to hand at the moment.

Go on, I'll take the big "QI" claxon, what was "Toddles" all about please ?

Go on, I'll take the big "QI" claxon, what was "Toddles" all about please ?

I will be honest. The 'Toddles' bit might not be accurate. My dad knows more about the early 1890's players/history than me and always refers to Woolhouse as 'Toddles'. I think that he picked it up from either something written at the time in newspapers or by something written by one of the Wednesday players. He has refered to him as Toddles for about 5 years and I just assumed that this was correct. However, it wouldn't be the first time for him to get someething totally wrong!!! I will double check his evidence for this.

It may be true. I discovered a few months back that the Famous Amature G.O. Smith was always called 'Joe' by his fellow players, combining the G and O together to form a slag word for him. Rather than say them seperately like I have assumed people read it nowadays.

I will be honest. The 'Toddles' bit might not be accurate. My dad knows more about the early 1890's players/history than me and always refers to Woolhouse as 'Toddles'. I think that he picked it up from either something written at the time in newspapers or by something written by one of the Wednesday players. He has refered to him as Toddles for about 5 years and I just assumed that this was correct. However, it wouldn't be the first time for him to get someething totally wrong!!! I will double check his evidence for this.

It may be true. I discovered a few months back that the Famous Amature G.O. Smith was always called 'Joe' by his fellow players, combining the G and O together to form a slag word for him. Rather than say them seperately like I have assumed people read it nowadays.

That how he is referred to in some of the books I have read including the story of how he sent a postcard to the club manager/secretary with a message something like" I hear you are having oxtail soup at the club today - can I have some I am sick" High living devils they were!

That how he is referred to in some of the books I have read including the story of how he sent a postcard to the club manager/secretary with a message something like" I hear you are having oxtail soup at the club today - can I have some I am sick" High living devils they were!

Maybe Owlstalk can help ?; I don't visit there ...

Maybe Owlstalk can help ?; I don't visit there ...

I doubt it not most of them are still at school... from the Independent 1892 - the idol of Olive Grove...no clue here