Arundel Gate......

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Believe it or not when they opened Arundel Gate in the 60s, no-one used it. It was deserted, even in the rush hour. It was only when Fargate was closed that traffic started to use it.

Another strange thing about this road was the underpass at Furnival Square. which was only wide enough for a single lane in either direction. Why? It was also the scene of numerous spectacular crashes. I was given the following explanation when I asked why only one lane? The explanation I was given ( don't know how accurate it is) was as follows:

After the war, Germany had to make reparations for bomb damage to the City and the amount paid was based on the cost of rebuilding both the roads and buildings. The post war plan was drawn up in 1947 and included the new Arundel Gate. Bearing in mind the comparatively tiny amount of traffic on the City's roads then, only two lanes were thought sufficient. But twenty years later when it was built, traffic had mushroomed, but we were stuck with an outdated plan. Fact or fiction? If you know, tell us.

I used to love driving through that.

I know it sounds daft but I liked it that much that if I was driving across the City I would deliberatley go that way whether I needed to or not.

Its a bit like when we go to the airport at Manchester, or should I call it Ringway as this is a history site!! Anyway when we go there I love the bit where the motorway shoots under the old Victroian railway bridge near the big Co op pyramid building.

There is no pleasure in driving anymore these days so it great when a silly thing like a bit of road makes you smile.

Guest tsavo

Know what you mean about using old names, I do the same. Robin Hood Airport will always be Finningley to me, where I watched the Battle of Britain air displays for years. Know what you mean about underpasses and tunnels but as Peter Kay says, Why are they exciting?