Cannot Find A Death

Guest soooz1

Guest soooz1

is there any reason why i cannot find any record of a death for Charles Keeton, previously mentioned in my other posts??

I searched for my great grandma too thinking if i find her then Charles' second wife must have shot him in marshland never to be found or something. But i cannot find her death either. Have the archives somehow lost a MASSIVE chunk of death records between certain dates in the late 1900's (after the war so cannot be from bombing) or what?

I have found my fathers death in 1990 so my theory that maybe there is a 100 year waiting list for them to be made public like the census.

is there any reason why i cannot find any record of a death for Charles Keeton, previously mentioned in my other posts??

I searched for my great grandma too thinking if i find her then Charles' second wife must have shot him in marshland never to be found or something. But i cannot find her death either. Have the archives somehow lost a MASSIVE chunk of death records between certain dates in the late 1900's (after the war so cannot be from bombing) or what?

I have found my fathers death in 1990 so my theory that maybe there is a 100 year waiting list for them to be made public like the census.

Are you talking about Sheffield Archives when searching? Because there is also the national one to check. If you have tried both, then maybe they died abroad. If you know the last known address it might be an idea to check the local church or cemetery records near where they lived. There's also the possibilty that a spelling error has occurred on the the surname, such as Kenton etc, in the index.

I searched for my great grandma too thinking if i find her then Charles' second wife must have shot him in marshland never to be found or something. But i cannot find her death either. Have the archives somehow lost a massive chunk of death records between certain dates in the late 1900's (after the war so cannot be from bombing) or what?

There's no waiting for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Have you tried this site ?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Though this isn't a complete record - there are various sites you can pay to search although that can be expensive if you do not know an approximate death date.

I have a greta grandfather who I assume died around 1910 but can't find a trace of his death

As a family we've spent 30 years trying to locate the date of my Great Grandfathers demise ... circa 1890 from the IGI ins't much use when he's present on the 1891 census, other than than ... we've found nowt.

Guest Unitedite

I've spent a lot of time researching my family history and there are a few things that I've learned along the way.

1: Spelling mistakes can be quite common and I think that these often arise from the registrar having recorded what they think that they heard

2: Age at time of death can also be misrecorded, so try searching without the age, if you are looking on free bmd and similar web based databases [one of mine was out by 40 years; ie: died aged 45; recorded as aged 5 and it was only when I bought the actual certificate, that I confirmed otherwise ]

3: Try checking burials - for burials in Sheffield, try the Sheffield Indexers site, or the National Burial Index [i'm sure that Sheffield Library have one]

4: In the days before wifdespread, free health provision, elderly and infirm relatives tended to end up living with at least one of their children in their later years and so, it might be worth checking the census returns where their kids have moved away

Hope that this helps.

KR

Guest soooz1

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I dont think i have checked a national register for deaths.

The free BMD site doesn't seem to have anything about any of the people i've ever searched for. I have seen their charts on what records they have managed to transcribe so far and they are still missing quite alot. I was going to register to become a transcriber but chickened out at the last minute as it looks a little confusing and i wouldn't like to do it wrong and mess it up

I've tried searching genes reunited. I've tried ancestry.co.uk. I have also spent the entire morning looking through the Sheffield General Cemetery 290 pages of the first 6000 burials there for any hints of family members that might have had a plot or grave he might have been buried or had his ashes scattered with. Also came across a plaque in burngreave graveyard or something of the like which is dedicated to people who were not buried straight away due to medical research and teaching. Which provided a link to a downloadable document of a list of people who were used.

His name was Charles Keeton, Born 1887 in Sheffield, Engineer, last marriage was in 1951 to a doris heaton (possibly Helen Doris Heaton), suspicion that the marriage didn't last long as they fell out, sold Keeton & Sons in 1954 and .... poof disappeared haha

I've spent the entirety of this morning whilst searching through the list of burials and family plots on the general cemetery website, grabbing the computer screen, shaking it and yelling why can't you just die like normal people?!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I dont think i have checked a national register for deaths.

The free BMD site doesn't seem to have anything about any of the people i've ever searched for. I have seen their charts on what records they have managed to transcribe so far and they are still missing quite alot. I was going to register to become a transcriber but chickened out at the last minute as it looks a little confusing and i wouldn't like to do it wrong and mess it up

I've tried searching genes reunited. I've tried ancestry.co.uk. I have also spent the entire morning looking through the Sheffield General Cemetery 290 pages of the first 6000 burials there for any hints of family members that might have had a plot or grave he might have been buried or had his ashes scattered with. Also came across a plaque in burngreave graveyard or something of the like which is dedicated to people who were not buried straight away due to medical research and teaching. Which provided a link to a downloadable document of a list of people who were used.

His name was Charles Keeton, Born 1887 in Sheffield, Engineer, last marriage was in 1951 to a doris heaton (possibly Helen Doris Heaton), suspicion that the marriage didn't last long as they fell out, sold Keeton & Sons in 1954 and .... poof disappeared haha

I've spent the entirety of this morning whilst searching through the list of burials and family plots on the general cemetery website, grabbing the computer screen, shaking it and yelling why can't you just die like normal people?!! :rolleyes:

You might get a clue here,

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/BirthsMarriagesDeaths.jsp

Then look up here,

http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

From Kelly's directories, don't know if this fella is yours though:

1963 Keeton, Chas. 6 Hallgate Rd, 10

Same in '69, '70, '71, '73 and '74 which is the last one I have.

Guest soooz1

From Kelly's directories, don't know if this fella is yours though:

1963 Keeton, Chas. 6 Hallgate Rd, 10

Same in '69, '70, '71, '73 and '74 which is the last one I have.

i believe he is one of the younger generations.

I have found a lead that confirms my mothers suspicion he moved to guernsey in later life. There is a newspaper snippet from the london gazette archives that suggests a Charles Keeton working as a liquidator in Guernsey. However i am not sure how i can go about finding the Guernsey Charles Keeton's birthday and clues to confirm or not if he is the same one i am looking for

Sheffield Indexers list of burials No Charles, but plenty of others:

Keeton

Sorry it simply takes you to the index :( You will have to add the name Keeton in surname box to list all.

Guest soooz1

Just to put an end to this thread incase anyone else ever comes across it searching for the same man:

Charles Keeton died in the Isle of Man - Ramsey - 22nd August 1967

such a relief to be able to close the book on him. Only wish i could say the same about his wife Doris! She was still alive when he died as she was the informant on the death cert