Yorkshire Broadband

hilldweller

I don't know if this site is like the BBC and mentioning names is taboo, but I've been so impressed by the service provided by a certain broadband ISP that now trades on it's Yorkshire roots.

I've been with them for 3 years now and I must say that I have been very pleasantly surprised by the standard of service. I'm a fair distance from the exchange but I'm now getting a download speed of 7 Mb/s on ADSL2+. I'm on the value package with a 10 GB/month limit but it's only costing me £5.99 a month (£6.49 for newcomers). I have found their support to be very helpful and no I don't work for PN. What's more surprising is that they are a BT company who are not renowned for good service.

7 Mb/s is plenty fast enough for video streaming 'so BT can keep their Infinity (PN do it cheaper anyway).

The ISP and the support is based in Sheffield and I think that anyone dissatisfied with their present ISP should at least think about them.

HD

I don't know if this site is like the BBC and mentioning names is taboo, but I've been so impressed by the service provided by a certain broadband ISP that now trades on it's Yorkshire roots.

I've been with them for 3 years now and I must say that I have been very pleasantly surprised by the standard of service. I'm a fair distance from the exchange but I'm now getting a download speed of 7 Mb/s on ADSL2+. I'm on the value package with a 10 GB/month limit but it's only costing me £5.99 a month (£6.49 for newcomers). I have found their support to be very helpful and no I don't work for PN. What's more surprising is that they are a BT company who are not renowned for good service.

7 Mb/s is plenty fast enough for video streaming 'so BT can keep their Infinity (PN do it cheaper anyway).

The ISP and the support is based in Sheffield and I think that anyone dissatisfied with their present ISP should at least think about them.

HD

You forgot to mention, if we are allowed to mention names and advertise, how we can get in touch with Yorkshire Broadband,

Is their email address

www.eebuygum.co.uk

lol

You forgot to mention, if we are allowed to mention names and advertise, how we can get in touch with Yorkshire Broadband,

Is their email address

www.eebuygum.co.uk

lol

Or, is YORKSHIRE BROADBAND a bit like YORKSHIRE AIRLINES

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IJFq2jhgQT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is their email address

www.eebuygum.co.uk

lol

The ISP is Plusnet, but watch out if a little Yorkshire terrier shows up on the doorstep with a fizzing stick of Gelignite in his jaws. I quite like the daft adverts.

HD

The ISP is Plusnet, but watch out if a little Yorkshire terrier shows up on the doorstep with a fizzing stick of Gelignite in his jaws. I quite like the daft adverts.

HD

There used to be, about 10 years ago an advert for YORKSHIRE ELECTRICITY in which a man is hiking up a country lane in search of Yorkshire in order to purchase an excellent tarrif on electricity from YE. He comes across farmer leaning on the roadside fence and asks him "How far to Yorkshire?", the farmer replies, in a north Derbyshire accented drawl, "Abhaat five miile" and he carries on walking while a voice over details YE tarrifs and rates for electricity.

What made this advert so memorable was that I have a friend who lives at Mastin Moor, which is "Abhaat five miile" from the Yorkshire / Sheffield border, my friend is a farmer by profession and he speaks with that identical north Derbyshire accented drawl.

I am fairly sure that whoever wrote and scripted that advert had met my friend and had based the farmer on him.

HD

I walk past their offices on my way to and from work, at 4:00pm on my way home its fag break time there, always plenty stood outside, and they get an Ice Cream man as well

Don't know what thats got to do with their product though

I walk past their offices on my way to and from work, at 4:00pm on my way home its fag break time there, always plenty stood outside, and they get an Ice Cream man as well

Is it CUNEO's ice cream?

Or at least is it another of the well known local, long established. Italian ice cream vendors.

Or is it some mass produced rubbish ice cream from a big multinational combine?

I walk past their offices on my way to and from work, at 4:00pm on my way home its *** break time there, always plenty stood outside, and they get an Ice Cream man as well

I sometimes buy PC magazines if I'm bored out of my skull and they quite often run comparative reviews of ISP price and customer satisfaction. What I don't understand is that while they always mark Plusnet excellent for customer satisfaction they somehow manage to state a minimum cost of about twice what I pay. I suppose I'm daft to believe anything I see in print nowadays. I might be due to the fact that they quote prices selectively from market 1,2 & 3 exchanges but I would guess most people in cities are on market 3 exchanges.

I just find it refreshing that Plusnet can provide a service that I have been happy with when virtually every other utility provider, mail-order company, public body, that I have to deal with make a complete and utter dog's breakfast of everything they do.

If *** breaks are what it takes to keep a company going properly then keep on puffing.

HD

There used to be, about 10 years ago an advert for YORKSHIRE ELECTRICITY in which a man is hiking up a country lane in search of Yorkshire in order to purchase an excellent tarrif on electricity from YE. He comes across farmer leaning on the roadside fence and asks him "How far to Yorkshire?", the farmer replies, in a north Derbyshire accented drawl, "Abhaat five miile" and he carries on walking while a voice over details YE tarrifs and rates for electricity.

What made this advert so memorable was that I have a friend who lives at Mastin Moor, which is "Abhaat five miile" from the Yorkshire / Sheffield border, my friend is a farmer by profession and he speaks with that identical north Derbyshire accented drawl.

I am fairly sure that whoever wrote and scripted that advert had met my friend and had based the farmer on him.

I remember that advert, the guy was carrying a whopping plug head attached to miles of cable.

My wife comes from the Derbyshire Dales and despite more than 50+ years of living with dee-dars she still has a strong Derbyshire accent. She doesn't luck for a buck, she goes loooooking for a boooook.

HD

HD

I remember that advert, the guy was carrying a whopping plug head attached to miles of cable.

My wife comes from the Derbyshire Dales and despite more than 50+ years of living with dee-dars she still has a strong Derbyshire accent. She doesn't luck for a buck, she goes loooooking for a boooook.

HD

HD

Yes, that's the one!

..and he would have needed "abhaart fiive miile" of extra cable before he could plug it in to his cheaper YE supply.

...and before you point it out, I know it wouldn't work with the resistance of all those miles of cable and the trelatively low (240v) potential across it.

I am equally pleased with PN, been with them for over 10 years now and set the scout group website up with them. There is a link on the scout site and anyone using it generates a few pennies discount for the scout website so you can knock two birds on the head so to speak. www.142group.net

lol

HD

It's a good job that I get a reasonable ASDL2+ speed (the up to 20 Mb/s job) because I've just found out that my chances of getting super fast broadband ( Infinity etc )are somewhere about the same as winning the lottery ( which I don't do ).

The BT cabinets around the corners have been enabled for months but the BT or Plusnet websites tells me no chance within the next 6 months.

By using other forums I found that my phone and those of the rest of the estate are fed via cabinet 8. This is not the number of the ones around the corners 'so I have been on a "hunt the cabinet" explore.

Eventually some kind person in the know located the cabinet for me. It's in leafy Carsick Hill and nearer the exchange than it is to us. Apparently back in the early sixties when the estate was built there was some spare capacity in the cabinet and except for odd houses on the edge of the estate, we are all connected there.

Because it's about 2 kilometres away there's no chance of FTTC. Of course in pre broadband 1960 this was a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

I suppose the only hope is if BT stick another cabinet together with it's digital mate where the cable/s come on to the estate.

I'm not holding my breath.

HD

It's a good job that I get a reasonable ASDL2+ speed (the up to 20 Mb/s job) because I've just found out that my chances of getting super fast broadband ( Infinity etc )are somewhere about the same as winning the lottery ( which I don't do ).

The BT cabinets around the corners have been enabled for months but the BT or Plusnet websites tells me no chance within the next 6 months.

By using other forums I found that my phone and those of the rest of the estate are fed via cabinet 8. This is not the number of the ones around the corners 'so I have been on a "hunt the cabinet" explore.

Eventually some kind person in the know located the cabinet for me. It's in leafy Carsick Hill and nearer the exchange than it is to us. Apparently back in the early sixties when the estate was built there was some spare capacity in the cabinet and except for odd houses on the edge of the estate, we are all connected there.

Because it's about 2 kilometres away there's no chance of FTTC. Of course in pre broadband 1960 this was a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

I suppose the only hope is if BT stick another cabinet together with it's digital mate where the cable/s come on to the estate.

I'm not holding my breath.

HD

Why do we need all that extra Internet speed?

Any system designed for speed which involves a number of stages, as any relay race runner knows, is only as fast as its slowest link.

My computer runs really fast on some websites and painfully slow on others.

Suerely this is due to the speed and load on the site servers and not on any arbitary broadband speed I am paying my ISP to provide.

Now take Sheffield History as a prime example, normally it's download / upload speeds are "moderate" (I would never call it "fast")

BUT, should there be an Owls match on at the time you are using it, with a lot of traffic on owlstalk on the same server, then its slower than a 150 baud dial up modem.

The Sheffield History / Owlstalk server isn't even in this country so no amount of speed from local exchanges to your computer is going to improve the situation.