Crookes Valley recreation ground - then and now

docmel

Knives/folks, spoons, all manner of instruments are manageable for the cack-handed; I've used a mouse right-handed (without switching buttons around for over 25 years) - what item(s) still causes me problems as a "cack-hander" ?

A right hand glove.

Seriously ? - Scissors.

Using R/H scissors with the left hand has a tendency to force the blades apart rather than shearing against each other.

- what item(s) still causes me problems as a "cack-hander" ?

Do you use or own a gun with a telescopic sight?

The sort you could use from the book repositry or the grassy knoll to take assassin shots at JFK <_<

The gun itself can be left or right handed, and would need to be supported with the butt against the opposite shoulder

However we also have a dominant eye, left or right, which we would want to use with the telescopic sight

So there are now 4 combinations

Right hand gun, Right eye sight

Right hand gun, Left eye sight

Left hand gun, Right eye sight

Left hand gun, Left eye sight

That's bound to cause some problems.

Do you use or own a gun with a telescopic sight?

The sort you could use from the book repositry or the grassy knoll to take assassin shots at JFK <_<

The gun itself can be left or right handed, and would need to be supported with the butt against the opposite shoulder

However we also have a dominant eye, left or right, which we would want to use with the telescopic sight

Correct, although not just telescopic sights, because the same applies to open sights.

But that's only if you're cross dominant.

Although there are left handed "long barrel " guns made, It doesn't really make any difference at "normal level"

Rifles and shotguns are the same either way round.

A bow however is another matter.

You can't shoot a right handed bow left handed.

Unless of course you are one of the few people who's dominant eye is the opposite of their dominant arm. (called cross dominant)

As an instructor in clay shooting, archery, crossbows etc. you can pick up quite early on the people who are cross dominant because they initially appear so hopeless.

To save time later I started getting everyone to check for their dominant eye before we even started.

Not scientific but I recon one person in about 100 has some sort of dominant hand to eye anomaly.

One way which can work with a shotgun (because a shotgun doesn't have any sights as such) is to shoot with both eyes open.

The whole subject, and the ways round the anomalies, is a lot more complex than that but I'm trying to be brief

Guest plain talker

If you were cackhanded when i was a kid, you were left handed.

In our house you were "Dolly-handed" or "Dolly-posh"

Guest Lynne Garner

Outstanding and brought many memories back.

I used to knock about with a kid from quite close to where your shop was - I think his name was Raymond Pridmore - and just up from you there was a family called Froggats - the girl went to Crookesmorr School

My maiden name was Froggatt - I lived at 147 Bromley Street with my parents and sister, we both went to Crookesmoor School, left Bromley Street April 1967.

On 3/10/2009 at 13:06, vtheaker said:

Hello Sol

We lived at 247 Crookesmoor Road, and the factory exit was a few doors down from us.

Our back year overlooked the factory on Oxford Street, but not sure what they used to

make there, and it was 40 years ago.

The map shows the building to the left of post-490-1236690365_thumb.pngthe large letter A

Vicki

Thank you.  That map shows the older building which was replaced. It became a dental lab in 1971 I think, it was empty before that for a few years. There are stories of it being open to the road on street level but I would love to get some more details.