Crookes Valley recreation ground - then and now

docmel

just been looking at Dave Milners brilliant Citysnappers website and came across these two pics

- first one taken sometime in the 50's before the clearance

http://citysnapper.org/dm/otherpics/pu/crookesrec.jpg

second one taken from almost exactly the same spot but in 2000

http://citysnapper.org/dm/sheff2000/01/picdm18.jpg

as far as I can make out there is only one building the same and that is St Stephens church

Edit: dead links

Guest crookesmoorlad

Here are a couple more showing part of the " Tip " or crookesmoor Recreation ground and our house next to the shop of Mr. Evans

Bromley_Street.bmp

this photo shows the "new " flats on Martin Street and part of Wentworth Street and Fawcett Street

Guest crookesmoorlad

sorry I forgot to download the Bromley Street one as jpeg, so here goes again

Outstanding and brought many memories back.

I used to knock about with a kid from quite close to where your shop was - I think his name was Raymond Pridmore - and just up from you there was a family called Froggats - the girl went to Crookesmorr School

Can anyone remember Bob Vague, I still see him and run with him. He's seventy next month and often talks about Bromley Street. The tennis player Roger Taylor lived in that area as well by all accounts.

Guest crookesmoorlad

Can anyone remember Bob Vague, I still see him and run with him. He's seventy next month and often talks about Bromley Street. The tennis player Roger Taylor lived in that area as well by all accounts.

Hello s6lad,

I remember Bob Vague , we lived exactly opposite his house on Bromley Street , he will probably remember my brother Michael Crookes better than me though, I am "only " 61 ! My wife and I had our first house in the same yard as Bob , number 107 ( the Grainger's old house ) , I think their house was 111 next to the Parkins . When you see Bob will you give him my regards please , it's good to know he is still fit enough to run !!!

You are right about Roger taylor , they lived at number 52 . His mother Lillian and my mother used to play tennis together in Western Park in the early 50's until Roger's debut in the world of tennis fame.

Hello Docmel,

I know the name Raymond pridmore, but I think he is younger than I am and lived further up Bromley Street as did the Froggats

Hello s6lad,

Hello Docmel,

I know the name Raymond pridmore, but I think he is younger than I am and lived further up Bromley Street as did the Froggats

Thanks lad - yep if you are 63 then Raymond would be a few years younger.

Have fond memories calling in the Ice Cream Factory at the bottom of Bromley Street (Sannelas?) for peppermint ice lollies

Hello Crookesmoorlad, I have not seen Bob for a few weeks as he has relatives over from America (his daughter). I will pass on your messages when he does eventually turn out again. Watch this space lol

Guest Charlie Wag

Wow those pictures bring back some memories .

Used to play football on the tip and then on the Ponderosa when it was built .

I remember going round to Roger Taylors house for his Autograph , dont think he was in though .

Wow

My wife's grandfather lived on Bromley Street (Father of Lilian Taylor nee Willmot and grandfather of Roger) She can remember the ice cream Sanellas and went to Crookesmoor School with Joan Vague before grammar school. She lived on Wellfield Road and went to Grange Grammar School. Her grandfather's name was James Willmot. Her mother's name was Doris. Roger Taylor went from Bromley Street to Wimbledon Mens Singles Semi Finals; not bad for a Sheffield lad.

Does anybody remember or know anything about the building near the top of Oxford St which over looks the ponderosa?

It was MG Crisps for a while and also Swann and Co Ltd.

It's a 3 storey building which was rebuilt and moved a few feet around 1900, around the same time there was a passage through the back yard

which in turn lead up to Crooksmoor Rd through a gap in the terrace ( the gap in the row of houses was filled in with a house at the same time I think)

I would love to know any info on the past uses of the building, better still any photos of the street or building itself.

Does anyone remember if there was more than one shop on Bromley Street please?

The one I'm interested was run by the Pyecroft family.

Willis and Amy (nee Lane) and their daughter Joyce b 1924 , who married a Berresford.

My Dad used to watch Roger Taylor as a boy practicing on the Weston Park tennis courts.

The trainer used to put sixpence in the corner of the serving square and if he managed to

hit the target, he kept the cash.

Vicki

Hello Sol

We lived at 247 Crookesmoor Road, and the factory exit was a few doors down from us.

Our back year overlooked the factory on Oxford Street, but not sure what they used to

make there, and it was 40 years ago.

The map shows the building to the left of the large letter A

Vicki

Here's a picture of me after a canoe race on the pond at Crookes Valley. Taken sometime in the 1970s I'm closest to the camera on the right.

sorry I forgot to download the Bromley Street one as jpeg, so here goes again

Those gate posts at the side of the shop are still there. They are sited at the bottom of the steps that lad down from the Mushroom Lane end of the tip. They must have been moved when the buildings were demolished.

Those gate posts at the side of the shop are still there. They are sited at the bottom of the steps that lad down from the Mushroom Lane end of the tip. They must have been moved when the buildings were demolished.

that picture brings back memories from when we use to play ont tip.I remember the post but wasn't there some more at the bottom end leading out to Martin street?

Does anyone remember if there was more than one shop on Bromley Street please?

The one I'm interested was run by the Pyecroft family.

Willis and Amy (nee Lane) and their daughter Joyce b 1924 , who married a Berresford.

Kelly's Directory 1954, there were two shops listed on Bromley St,

No 1 William Skinner Shopkeeper

No 96 Joseph Evans Shopkeeper

Wow

My wife's grandfather lived on Bromley Street (Father of Lilian Taylor nee Willmot and grandfather of Roger) She can remember the ice cream Sanellas and went to Crookesmoor School with Joan Vague before grammar school. She lived on Wellfield Road and went to Grange Grammar School. Her grandfather's name was James Willmot. Her mother's name was Doris. Roger Taylor went from Bromley Street to Wimbledon Mens Singles Semi Finals; not bad for a Sheffield lad.

Yeah and a Cackhander to boot !

If you were cackhanded when i was a kid, you were left handed.

I'm still cack-handed; have been all my life. I've also progressed to baldy; life just gets better.

One for the newcomers - who made the first left-handed scissors (out of love) -

I can't remember/find the answer and I set the question originally !

-----------------

Hutchinson/Hodgekinson ?? Why do I think the surname began with a "H" ?

If you were cackhanded when i was a kid, you were left handed.

Knives/folks, spoons, all manner of instruments are manageable for the cack-handed; I've used a mouse right-handed (without switching buttons around for over 25 years) - what item(s) still causes me problems as a "cack-hander" ?