Norwood Road

Waterside Echo

Topic moved

In the1950s I had a saturday afternoon job washing lorries at a large old house on Norwood Road. I remember the man who lived there was Alfred Helliwell and the house, though it could not be seen from the road was more or less opposite Oakwood school. What was this house called and when was it pulled down. W/E.

In the1950s I had a saturday afternoon job washing lorries at a large old house on Norwood Road. I remember the man who lived there was Alfred Helliwell and the house, though it could not be seen from the road was more or less opposite Oakwood school. What was this house called and when was it pulled down. W/E.

Eastville ?, Genesta ? Norwood House ?, Oakwood ?, Tresillian ?

Eastville ?, Genesta ? Norwood House ?, Oakwood ?, Tresillian ?

It must have dated back to the early 1800s, it stood in its own grounds and the garages were converted stables. W/E.

It must have dated back to the early 1800s, it stood in its own grounds and the garages were converted stables. W/E.

Oh, you mean Arnold Helliwell, the haulage contractor, of 63 Norwood Road ? You should have said ...

Still no idea he he

Somersby House ?

Hands up if you can tell I'm guessing ...

Would someone kindly move this post to 'Sheffield places now gone' where I should have put it in the first place. W/E.

Would someone kindly move this post to 'Sheffield places now gone' where I should have put it in the first place. W/E.

Thanks for that 'vox'. W/E.

Topic moved

Roe Wood Cottage ?

Link to 1950's OS map #48

63 Norwood Road,

Boothby Mrs.Catherine,

Wilkinson Geo Hy cheif assistant overseer,( Norwood house.)

Milner Ellison -M.A, ,Lth. (Tresillian)

White Henry F.C.S manufacturing chemist (Eastville)

White Miss. Alice -M.B.,ch.B. M.R.C.S.eng. L.R.C.P Lond. (Eastville)

White Miss Ethel -M.B.,ch.B. M.R.C.S.eng L.R.C.P Lond. (Eastville)

Dewsnap Wilford, house painter.

Roe Wood Cottage ?

Link to 1950's OS map #48

Yes thats it thanks steve, though I would not have called it a cottage. The long winding drive was the tradesmens entrance and the shorter one was for private use. The gate posts to this drive are still there, though in the 50s they would have been over 6 feet high. Incidentally number 68 Norwood Road opposite those posts was built in the 1950s with stone from St Phillips church. W/E.

Yes thats it thanks steve, though I would not have called it a cottage. The long winding drive was the tradesmens entrance and the shorter one was for private use. The gate posts to this drive are still there, though in the 50s they would have been over 6 feet high. Incidentally number 68 Norwood Road opposite those posts was built in the 1950s with stone from St Phillips church. W/E.

Both my Mum & sister live on Norwood Road - I never knew that about no 68 very interesting.

I think I have posted a photo of the gateposts somewhere on here. Nosing about in the woods - there are still some foundations / ruins under the undergrowth. There also looks like there was a small dam on on the stream which flows through there.

Both my Mum & sister live on Norwood Road - I never knew that about no 68 very interesting.

I think I have posted a photo of the gateposts somewhere on here. Nosing about in the woods - there are still some foundations / ruins under the undergrowth. There also looks like there was a small dam on on the stream which flows through there.

Picture Sheffield link:

/www.picturesheffield.

Roe Wood Cottage ?

Z/09/65/PITSMOOR/ROE WOOD COTTAGE/

J/GEORGE/DEPLEDGE/HEAD/MAR/39//WAREHOUSE MAN/YKS/BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW//VERY DEAF/

J/EMMA/DEPLEDGE/W/MAR//39//YKS/W WATH?/

J/FRANCES/DEPLEDGE/D///8//YKS/BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW//DEAF/

J/MARY ANN/DEPLEDGE/D///3/SCHOLAR/YKS/BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW/

J/GEORGE/DEPLEDGE/SON//.333///YKS/BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW/

J/MARY/BRADSHAW/SERV/U//18/HOUSE SERVANT/YKS/BRADFIELD/

Not even sure which year it is !

Roe Wood Cottage ?

Little Rowe Wood

The entrance area to this area of woodland was formerly a garden and contains a number of introduced species. Look out for flowering cherry, laburnum and false acacias. The track you are following used to give access to Roe Wood Cottage, the Duke of Norfolk’s woodsman’s house. There is nothing to see of this house except some rubble in the undergrowth to the right of the path.

Duke of Norfolk's woodsman's house

Rather grand for a woodsman's house ?

Rather grand for a woodsman's house ?

Grand enough to be a steel mans house, like Edgar Temple Ward - maybe ... (1881 census, Barnsley Road, Roe Wood, Norwood Road it says ...)

Do you know anything about 86 Norwood Road ? In the 1950s my dad was friends with a Mr & Mrs Horne who lived at 221 Barnsley Road, Mr Horne was a vet and in the late 50s they had number 86 built on Norwood Road.. Dad sadly passed away in 1985 but until then they regularly kept in touch. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mr Horne died tragically in that house. W/E.

Do you know anything about 86 Norwood Road ? In the 1950s my dad was friends with a Mr & Mrs Horne who lived at 221 Barnsley Road, Mr Horne was a vet and in the late 50s they had number 86 built on Norwood Road.. Dad sadly passed away in 1985 but until then they regularly kept in touch. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mr Horne died tragically in that house. W/E.

Hi W/E

It is one of the bugalows by the bus stop across from the old nurse's home.. Unfortunately Mr Horne took his own life - I think he was well over 90. HIs wife who was a bit younger was murdered in an apartment in Spain - I know the house was empty for a long time.

Hi W/E

It is one of the bugalows by the bus stop across from the old nurse's home.. Unfortunately Mr Horne took his own life - I think he was well over 90. HIs wife who was a bit younger was murdered in an apartment in Spain - I know the house was empty for a long time.

Thankyou, how sad. I have just found the newspaper cutting and it says that Mr Horne was 93. I think he must have married again as it goes on to say that twice widowed Mrs Dyson, 63, was killed in her apartment in Torremolinos in 2002. She had moved there from Sheffield only a matter of weeks earlier, after her husband vet Leonard Horne killed himself. The Mrs Horne I remember was near enough the same age as her husband. What a terrible end for them both. W/E.

Bentley Brothers Ltd, Motor engineers 71 Wicker & Richmond Street; office 305 Andrew Street (1919)

Both the Bentley Brothers lived on Norwood rd of the motor dealers in the Wicker.