National Railway Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Guest Falls

Guest Falls

Hello,

Forgive me if I'm breaking the Section's rules but I thought you might like to see this.

On May 19/20th, my wife and I were on our way to see our son in Minnesota and had an overnight stop in Green Bay WI,

Before leaving town we spent a couple of hours in the Railway Museum there. As many of you know, The US didn't preserve a lot of their railway history and what has been saved is spread all over the country. Although its called the "National" its relatively small museum but they do have a Big Boy (hopefully photo attached). I was ready for its size but even then it does tend to take your breath away. Some of the detail, such as the rivetting around the firebox, is really impressive.

They also have the classic Pennsylvania RR GG1 Electric locomotive (seen behind Big Boy). The museums is also home to the old LNER A4 "Dwight D. Eisenhower", displayed in its later BR livery.

Regards

PS having difficulty attaching photo due to file size. Will keep trying

Guest Falls

Try downloading Easy Thumbnails here http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

It's FREE!!

Great for resizing photos. Settings need to be about 600x600 for best results.

jiginc

Hi,

Thanks for info. Will get right onto ezthumbs. In the meantime, this cruder version of the photo might work.

Regards

Guest Falls

Hi,

Here, hopefully, are a few more compressed pictures of big boy.

As I mentioned before, the shear size of it is impressive. For instance, I'm 5ft-8in (or used to be). So you can get some indication of the scale of the beast.

The construction was also impressive. Just look at all those rivets.

Last but not least was the footplate: Suprisingly small for a loco of this size. Of course, it had a mechanical stoker so you didnt need extra space for a fireman to swing his shovel.

It was also Right-Hand Drive. I know why Canada had right hand drive but dont know if the same reasoning applied south of the border.

Regards

Guest Falls

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, LNER A4 - Dwight D. Esienhowver is also on display at the Green Bay Museum, infact it has prideof place alongside UP 4017. When the A4 was sent to the US, the shipment included the passenger coach (car) Eisenhower used during his stay in England. This is coupled behind the locomotive. Section members probably know more about the history of these two exhibits than I do.

One other thing. The photo may give the impression there is damage to the lower parts of the side sheeting: below the nameplate and extending towards the cab.

But its not damage, its reflections from other exhibits across the way. The sheeting is in fact in very good condition and highly polished.

Regards