Who Built/owned The Sheffield Slums?

JoeG

After searching long and hard, I can find out neither who built (and originally owned) all the back-to-back houses in Sheffield, nor when the Council presumably took them over (for slum clearance) - was it done by compulsory purchase orders?

I was born (in the 40's) in Hammond Place, off Hammond Street, off St. Philip's Road in a back-to-back, one up, one down slum (there was an attic but it was unusable because of damp) with a tiny off-shot kitchen. I cannot remember anyone coming to collect the rent - I vaguely remember my Mam taking the rent to the Town Hall?

After searching long and hard, I can find out neither who built (and originally owned) all the back-to-back houses in Sheffield, nor when the Council presumably took them over (for slum clearance) - was it done by compulsory purchase orders?

I was born (in the 40's) in Hammond Place, off Hammond Street, off St. Philip's Road in a back-to-back, one up, one down slum (there was an attic but it was unusable because of damp) with a tiny off-shot kitchen. I cannot remember anyone coming to collect the rent - I vaguely remember my Mam taking the rent to the Town Hall?

Companies building cheap housing for the workforce close to their place of work, Land Societies opening up new areas, co-operatives, local builders, joiners, plumbers; well to do shop-keepers and tradesmen building small numbers of cheap housing looking for a quick profit ...

Most of the land in the park area was awned by the Duke Of Norfolk whether he built any of the houses I do not know. May be the records of the Duke hold some information.

The Duke of Norfolk estate was very large and covered all over Sheffield not just the Park area. In fact the estate still has a great deal of land and buildings attached to it, including the Manor Lodge. Sheffield College is still there (on the Granville Road site) only because the Duke put a claus on the land that prevents the land being used for any other purpose other than education. The college at one time wanted to sell it off, they couldn't!

Street names often give clues to who owned land. So a road with names connected with the Duke will be a clue it's connected. Another large land owner was the church.

I remember reading somewhere that Sheffield housing was different from other northern towns and that rented housing rather than being built by the works owners or a big landowner was mostly built by a lot of small private owners. Can't remember where I read it. There should be somewhere records of legal demands from the authority to landlords to improve the sanitation of the housing and property. Also an order condeming a property. Possibly in the Sheffield Archives.

Many thanks Everybody for your suggestions - my research has been boosted and I will try to keep you informed on this topic when I have more facts to hand.

Street names can also be a clue to who built the houses as well as the landowner. Have a look at Peter Harvey's excellent book on Sheffield street names. In the older parts of Sheffield there are quite a number of streets named in this way.

Elizabeth Richmond of course ...

1861, a 49 year old servant at 276 Glossop Road (John Wigfull), but also a Proprietor of Houses ...

Explain that !

1861, a 49 year old servant at 276 Glossop Road (John Wigfull), but also a Proprietor of Houses ...

Explain that !

and her friend (possibly) Hannah Jervis of 220 Glossop Road

Mary Sykes and Sarah Sykes and Fanny Salt, 167 Western Bank, Proprietor of Houses. Fanny Salt is something to do with Mortgages - presumably the money behind the operation.

Explain that !

I can offer a suggestion.

In those days owning a few houses didn't give you the means to live on the proceeds of extortionate rents, as seems to be the way of things now.

Gone are the days of property being solely a long term investment.

Nowadays a so called "buy to let" is expected to generate enough money to cover the landlord's mortgage payments, cover maintenance costs and still deliver the landlord a profit. Right from the start.

A friend of my grandmother owned a terrace of houses somewhere in Heeley. She wasn't even what you would call "well off."

Of course, when they were sold under compulsory purchase in the 70's, she became relatively so.

It seems quite feasible then, that Elizabeth Richmond had perhaps been left a couple of houses in someone's will, but still needed to earn a supplementary living.