Was this

dunsbyowl1867

Guest transit

Correct Jiginc, Vinneys was part way up the hill on the corner of Manor Lane and one of those short streets (can't remember its name but Vinney's full adress may be this street rather than Manor Lane depending on the position of the front door) which ran between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road, but it was Vinneys that I meant.

.....correct spelling - Vineys ! ;-) BTW the building is still there ,but turned back into a house around mid 90's :(

.....correct spelling - Vineys ! ;-) BTW the building is still there ,but turned back into a house around mid 90's :(

Sorry about the spelling transit but old habits die hard, Vinney was the nickname of a school classmate of me and Stuart0742 (real name Vincent, hence Vinney), hence my constant mis-spelling of the chip shop Vineys.

Now would that be pronounced Vinn or Vine?

Must admit Queenies fish and chips were great, but do you remember Hoskings opposite the Horseshoe on Bellhouse Rd, I think they would have given them a run for their money anytime. Must admit I am biased though, Elsie was my Nan, followed in the shop by my Uncle Royce. :):):) Does Mr Fusco remember them ?

Hi Shaun

I used to use Hoskings opposite the Horseshoe when schooling at Hatfield House Lane and i vaguely recall that one of the lads in my class was related to the owners can't remember getting any freebies when going into the shop with him,

Was you that school mate ??

Correct Jiginc, Vinneys was part way up the hill on the corner of Manor Lane and one of those short streets (can't remember its name but Vinney's full adress may be this street rather than Manor Lane depending on the position of the front door) which ran between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road, but it was Vinneys that I meant.

Hi DaveH,

The road you are thinking about was Stock Road.

However Vineys was a general store not a fish and chip shop.

Steads was on the junction of Manor Lane and Warley Road.

jiginc

Hi DaveH,

The road you are thinking about was Stock Road.

However Vineys was a general store not a fish and chip shop.

Steads was on the junction of Manor Lane and Warley Road.

jiginc

Makes me wonder where I actually bought those fish and chips from then, perhaps it was Steads <_<

Great fish and chips though lol

Guest downtimer

I used to go to the White House chippy at the top of Rock Lane, Pitsmoor, when I was a lad. That would have been around 1960. They always used to smell great. My mother used to send me ,and the parcel of chips and fishcakes (with salt and vinegar on) used to seem enormous. The only time I have fish and chips now is when we go to the East Coast.

Guest belboid

The White House was on Andover Street, just off Rock Street. It was still a chippie until a couple of years ago, and was probably still ran by the same people as when you visited it. Their chips were great, best in Pitsmoor. I'll try and post a photo up later, it's still a wonderful building, supposedly dating back to Tudor times.

My nanan used to run various chippies around the city, and I used to stop at the one at Darnall (now Darnall Fisheries iirr), almost next door to the old Conservative Club. David Blunkett once told my mum that he thought it was the best chippies in Sheffield, tho I suspect he was just doing a bit of vote garnering.

Makes me wonder where I actually bought those fish and chips from then, perhaps it was Steads <_<

Great fish and chips though lol

Just noticed on Google street that it's a chip shop again (May have been for some time) Hope they are as good as they used to be.

jiginc

Guest SheffBlade

Can't be the same one then, I'm sure it was Stan and he lived somewhere near Hollinsend Chuch at Hollinsend Road / Ridgeway Road. His chip shop was at Manor Top on the City Road section between the old cinema and the Park 7 Arbourthorne club.

To be honest I didn't like his fish and chips that much, preferred the ones from Northern Avenue shopping centre (more convenient) or those from Vinney's on Manor Lane (better chips)

I miss Becketts (as it was). It's still quite commonly known as that name even though it changed hands many moons ago :(

I miss Becketts (as it was). It's still quite commonly known as that name even though it changed hands many moons ago :(

Must admit that I still call it Becketts

Then again I still call 50p ten bob and refer to most Sheffield shops by long gone older names.

I still call the Sommerfield Supermarket close to Becketts the "Manor Picture Palace"

So which one of these 2 locations was Vineys?

The lower of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road.

This still has a chip shop on it, - Wheatleys.

The middle of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road.

This appears to be a private dwelling now but clearly shows signs of once being a shop of some sort

The middle of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane cuts across the top of Dovercourt Road and enters the Cemetry side entrance. There are no shops on it.

So which of these 2 pictured locations was originally Vineys?

So which one of these 2 locations was Vineys?

The lower of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road.

This still has a chip shop on it, - Wheatleys.

The middle of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road.

This appears to be a private dwelling now but clearly shows signs of once being a shop of some sort

The middle of the 3 roads to run between Manor Lane cuts across the top of Dovercourt Road and enters the Cemetry side entrance. There are no shops on it.

So which of these 2 pictured locations was originally Vineys?

The bottom picture was Vineys. It was pretty big inside and well stocked (compared to most corner shops) That was a very busy shop in its day.

The bottom picture was Vineys. It was pretty big inside and well stocked (compared to most corner shops) That was a very busy shop in its day.

Thanks only me, so now I have sorted out which one was Vineys.

But 2 fish and chip shops within 100yards of each other on adjacent corners on Manor Lane.

Presumably they weren't both there at the same time as the other one appears to still be trading as a fish and chip shop but I can't remember it being there years ago when Vineys was open.

Thanks only me, so now I have sorted out which one was Vineys.

But 2 fish and chip shops within 100yards of each other on adjacent corners on Manor Lane.

Presumably they weren't both there at the same time as the other one appears to still be trading as a fish and chip shop but I can't remember it being there years ago when Vineys was open.

The chip shop was definetly there DaveH at the same time Vineys was open. The chip shop only seemed to open at night about 3 times a week .I visited both shops from around 1981-4. Im not really sure when Vineys closed down as i moved from the area.

The chip shop was definetly there DaveH at the same time Vineys was open. The chip shop only seemed to open at night about 3 times a week .I visited both shops from around 1981-4. Im not really sure when Vineys closed down as i moved from the area.

Two chip shops within a few yards of each other,

Staggered opening times to avoid direct competition

I bet you were never short of a bag of chips down Manor lane then ;-)

did the 2 chip shops also run a "price fixing" agreement between them so that they both charged exactly the same price. <_<

Two chip shops within a few yards of each other,

Staggered opening times to avoid direct competition

I bet you were never short of a bag of chips down Manor lane then ;-)

did the 2 chip shops also run a "price fixing" agreement between them so that they both charged exactly the same price. <_<

I think someone has chucked a spanner in the works here DaveH. Vineys was never a chip shop (if thats what i think you mean) it was a corner shop at least in the time i mentioned ie around 81-84. Perhaps he ran it as a chip shop prior to that?

I think someone has chucked a spanner in the works here DaveH. Vineys was never a chip shop (if thats what i think you mean) it was a corner shop at least in the time i mentioned ie around 81-84. Perhaps he ran it as a chip shop prior to that?

Hmmm...

Interesting <_<

Looks like the history of these 2 establishments will have to be investigated further to get to the bottom of this.

Guest transit

Hmmm...

Interesting <_<

Looks like the history of these 2 establishments will have to be investigated further to get to the bottom of this.

Hi Dave - lets get this sorted once and fore all !!!!! - 1) Vineys was ALWAYS a corner shop / off licence open all day till 10pm. Now a house.(Manor Lane/ Stock Rd end)

2) the Chip shops are /were lower down Manor Lane at EACH END of Warley rd (Manor Lane / Warley Rd end - Dovercourt Rd/ Warley Rd end)

(( Manor Lane runs almost paralell with Dovercourt Rd vertically from City Rd but around 150 yards apart -- Warley Rd and Stock Rd join the roads horizontally !!!!))

Hope this helps !!!! ;-)

The mention of chippies close together reminds me of two in the Hollinsend Road area.

My recollection (from the late 1960s/early 1970s is of using a Fish & Chip shop on Hollinsend Road, on the left hand side if travelling up from the Rex Cinema, in a row of terraced houses (looking at Map 169 suggests in the row numbered 47 to 95. There was another chippy just around the corner in Stanhope Road which my family used far less. My recollection is that it was right on the bend in Stanhope Road, (either no 58 or 60). The reason I remember this is that one shop charged three pence for chips and seven pence for fish, the other charged three and a half pence for chips and six and a half pence for fish! (it could have been old pennies rather than new pence - I can't remember the exact date)

Hi Dave - lets get this sorted once and fore all !!!!! - 1) Vineys was ALWAYS a corner shop / off licence open all day till 10pm. Now a house.(Manor Lane/ Stock Rd end)

2) the Chip shops are /were lower down Manor Lane at EACH END of Warley rd (Manor Lane / Warley Rd end - Dovercourt Rd/ Warley Rd end)

(( Manor Lane runs almost paralell with Dovercourt Rd vertically from City Rd but around 150 yards apart -- Warley Rd and Stock Rd join the roads horizontally !!!!))

Hope this helps !!!! ;-)

Thanks transit,

I am well aware of the geography and layout of this area as I had several friends from school that lived on Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road. They went to Norfolk secondary with me and Stuart but had previously attended Manor Lane Juniors which was part of our catchment area. Some of them even had City road Cemetry just beyond their back garden wall!

What I can't get my head around, because of my failing memory of places I once visited once in a blue moon very long ago, is the EXACT location of these chip shops and corner shops on the interlinking roads so any extra information about these is most welcome.

I knew there were 2 chip shops, didn't realise that one of them was at the Dovercourt end though.

Seem to remember, back to the topic of "is this the best chip shop" that one of them was particularly good and very popular.

The mention of chippies close together reminds me of two in the Hollinsend Road area.

My recollection (from the late 1960s/early 1970s is of using a Fish & Chip shop on Hollinsend Road, on the left hand side if travelling up from the Rex Cinema, in a row of terraced houses (looking at Map 169 suggests in the row numbered 47 to 95. There was another chippy just around the corner in Stanhope Road which my family used far less. My recollection is that it was right on the bend in Stanhope Road, (either no 58 or 60). The reason I remember this is that one shop charged three pence for chips and seven pence for fish, the other charged three and a half pence for chips and six and a half pence for fish! (it could have been old pennies rather than new pence - I can't remember the exact date)

Can vaguely remember these chip shops madannie so I think the prices may have been in old money.

Seem to remember that the best chip shop in this area was on Alnwick Road (before it went Chinese) and I have related the story somewhere else about the day we moved up to Intake and had our first meal from this chip shopin 1987.

I fed a family of 4 for just £1

Can vaguely remember these chip shops madannie so I think the prices may have been in old money.

Seem to remember that the best chip shop in this area was on Alnwick Road (before it went Chinese) and I have related the story somewhere else about the day we moved up to Intake and had our first meal from this chip shopin 1987.

I fed a family of 4 for just £1

Found the link to my original post here. There seems to be 2 chip shop threads

Alnwick Road Chip shop

Found the link to my original post here. There seems to be 2 chip shop threads

Alnwick Road Chip shop

Now I seem to remember in the Star about 25 or so years ago a story about a chip shop in Sheffield where the owner was retiring after about 50 years of running his shop.

As a closing night gesture he sold fish and chips at the same prices he had first sold it at when he started in business about 50 years earlier.

Only catch was that you had to pay in pre decimal (proper) money, so for one night in the 1980's you could get a bag of chips for 1d

Does anyone know anything about this, -

The date, the prices, the owner, the location of the chip shop etc...?

Guest marineboy

Hello, this is Noel and Tessa's grandson - I'm genuinely moved to read your tributes to their shop.

Noel Fusco sadly passed away last Wednesday at Victoria Hospital, Kircaldy - he was aged 86. He left this world peacefully and fought to the very end, but alas, despite being mentally alert as ever, his lungs and kidneys surrended.

He will be buried in Edinburgh next week, an announcement will be published in The Star shortly after.

He took his recipe for Batter with him - we were all very lucky to sample his delicious Fish and Chips.

God bless you all for your custom and support x