Was this

dunsbyowl1867

Definetly in my top five. Spent many a wasted teenage hour around there, often munching on fishcake and chips lol

Yes that was a real chippy,we lived at the other end of nethershire lane, and my late Mum used to work in Gibbons fish and chip shop,on lower shiregreen shops, but when she was'nt working,she always went to Queenies, she swore by their Fish, Mum always asked for a Cod Tail end, and they were always so obliging.

As a child I also remember the queue of people going right around the shop then outside, when it was busy,which was quite often :) .

Talking about the queues, in the winter months it was great when the line reached the long counter which housed the friers. You would lean against it as it was so warm. You would then check the number of fishcakes in the glass display case, hoping that they didn't all go before you reached the front.

Guest garymell

Fergusons chippy on Woodseats was my fave, the shops still there but old Fergie is long gone.

Fetching the family lunch on a Saturday was my job as a kid. In the winter you were glad to get inside cos the queue stretched for several shops down the road, thats how popular Fergies fish and chips were!

Guest suehobson

I always thought the Stannington chippie was good ,Me and friends used to hang out there a fair bit in the younger days . Loved the scraps.

Guest marineboy

Without doubt - Queenies was the best in Sheffield! Such a lovely family - a classic example of how life has deteriorated in the region. Ahh the memories...

Many thanks to all those who remember Queenies Fisheries at Hartley Brook Road, Shiregreen with such affection. I have passed on your kind comments to Mr Fusco who's now in his 80's and lives in Scotland. You've made an old man very proud and happy that his family's fish and chips were appreciated by so many and are still fondly remembered some 22 years after they served their last portion!

Many thanks to all those who remember Queenies Fisheries at Hartley Brook Road, Shiregreen with such affection. I have passed on your kind comments to Mr Fusco who's now in his 80's and lives in Scotland. You've made an old man very proud and happy that his family's fish and chips were appreciated by so many and are still fondly remembered some 22 years after they served their last portion!

Welcome to the site and that is great that you can relay all the great memories myself and others have of Queenies. This site opens avenues that were not even thought of at the begining.

Guest weestrom

I always thought the Stannington chippie was good ,Me and friends used to hang out there a fair bit in the younger days . Loved the scraps.

fantastic it was sonny that owned it when i were a lad (bagoscraps)

I liked Becketts fish and chips on Meadow Street.

If you took them a bundle of newspapers you would get a bag of chips for free.

My mam now sadly no longer with us used to work at Queenies in the late fifties early sixties and mr Fusco took me to

hillsborough a couple of times. a lovely man.

john

I liked Becketts fish and chips on Meadow Street.

If you took them a bundle of newspapers you would get a bag of chips for free.

Is this the same Mr. Beckett who had Becketts fish and chip shop at Manor Top? I suspect it could be as Stan Beckett made so much out of his business he could afford to drive about in a big car with the personalised registration plate SB 1

Sorry DaveH I don't think it was the same one, his name wasn't Stan and he lived in St Philips Road.

Can't be the same one then, I'm sure it was Stan and he lived somewhere near Hollinsend Chuch at Hollinsend Road / Ridgeway Road. His chip shop was at Manor Top on the City Road section between the old cinema and the Park 7 Arbourthorne club.

To be honest I didn't like his fish and chips that much, preferred the ones from Northern Avenue shopping centre (more convenient) or those from Vinney's on Manor Lane (better chips)

Must admit Queenies fish and chips were great, but do you remember Hoskings opposite the Horseshoe on Bellhouse Rd, I think they would have given them a run for their money anytime. Must admit I am biased though, Elsie was my Nan, followed in the shop by my Uncle Royce. :):):) Does Mr Fusco remember them ?

Must admit Queenies fish and chips were great, but do you remember Hoskings opposite the Horseshoe on Bellhouse Rd, I think they would have given them a run for their money anytime. Must admit I am biased though, Elsie was my Nan, followed in the shop by my Uncle Royce. :):):) Does Mr Fusco remember them ?

Welcome to the site Shaun Hoskings was my alternative to School dinners. We would by half a loaf from the shop next door hollow it out the have it filled with chips and scraps. This was commonly known as "Cobbing" it lol

Sorry DaveH I don't think it was the same one, his name wasn't Stan and he lived in St Philips Road.

Think he was Alf and had a son called Roland, always liked the way he rocked backward and forwards as he served the chips, Roland used to do the same, he had the chippy on Boyland Street.

Think he was Alf and had a son called Roland, always liked the way he rocked backward and forwards as he served the chips, Roland used to do the same, he had the chippy on Boyland Street.

Can't stop laughing at the "rocked backwards and forwards " yes he did, it brought back memories.

I didn't know Roland got into the chip business I didn't think it was his fish n chips [ cup of tea] lol

I'm not saying this thread brings back memories, but am I the only one who can smell the fish and chips as I read it? :)

Can't be the same one then, I'm sure it was Stan and he lived somewhere near Hollinsend Chuch at Hollinsend Road / Ridgeway Road. His chip shop was at Manor Top on the City Road section between the old cinema and the Park 7 Arbourthorne club.

To be honest I didn't like his fish and chips that much, preferred the ones from Northern Avenue shopping centre (more convenient) or those from Vinney's on Manor Lane (better chips)

Think you will find the fish and chip shop on Manor Lane was Steads, Vinney's ran the shop further up the hill.

JIGINC

Rolands on Richmond shops was the best when I was a brat and i'm 34 now and still go there (Even though Roland left recently) its still as good.

Think you will find the fish and chip shop on Manor Lane was Steads, Vinney's ran the shop further up the hill.

JIGINC

Correct Jiginc, Vinneys was part way up the hill on the corner of Manor Lane and one of those short streets (can't remember its name but Vinney's full adress may be this street rather than Manor Lane depending on the position of the front door) which ran between Manor Lane and Dovercourt Road, but it was Vinneys that I meant.