Deep Pit

southside

Can any one help me pinpoint the location of Deep Pit Colliery? (see image).

On the Census taken in 1851 my Ancesters are living at Deep Pit Cottage

Regards Southside

There's an area off City Road,on the left going up,just past the cemetery,known as Deep Pits.

It's behind the Travellers pub.There are allotments there,and they are just completing a new park,Manor Fields.

It looks like that's the area on your map.

Try contacting Greenestate,the community enterprise who are developing the park,they should know where the pit and the cottage used to be.

Their website is http:// www.greenestate.org.uk.

Also this on the council website.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/a-z-city-district--local--parks/manor-fields-park.

There's an area off City Road,on the left going up,just past the cemetery,known as Deep Pits.

It's behind the Travellers pub.There are allotments there,and they are just completing a new park,Manor Fields.

It looks like that's the area on your map.

Try contacting Greenestate,the community enterprise who are developing the park,they should know where the pit and the cottage used to be.

Their website is http:// www.greenestate.org.uk.

Deep Pits (plural) is indeed in the location that PC Infield describes, an undeveloped strip of land behind the Travellers Rest, bounded by City Road, City Road Cemetry and an arc of Queen Mary's Road on the Manor.

All that it is on it at present are some allotments that have been there for years, a small part of the new fields development and a lot of uncultivated open space which given its name was at one time a mining area.

However, the question was, where was Deep Pit Farm (singular) and this is shown in the old map in the original post.

This appears to be south of the area currently known as Deep Pits and would probably be in a built up area around Wulfric Road given the look of the map. Somewhere amongst all those concentric elliptical roads (now also partially demolished for redevelopment) which made up the original 1930's Manor estate.

So how old is the map?

Certainly in 1851 all of this area would have been open, the only road through would have been City Road (then called Intake Road) which headed up to Elm Tree (now called Manor Top) where the routes branched into Derbyshire. (Now still several miles away)

Can any one help me pinpoint the location of Deep Pit Colliery? (see image).

On the Census taken in 1851 my Ancesters are living at Deep Pit Cottage

Regards Southside

Per the 1841 census, Enumeration District 18, Park District, there were two Deep Pit addresses enumerated: "Deep Pit" and "Deep Pit Cabin."

Deep Pit was a collection of 10 households, numbering 52 persons:

Deep Pit Surnames:

Cheetham

Needham

Pollard

Lee

Hobson

Pollard

Eaton

Taylor

Richardson

Scholey

Deep Pit Cabin was a single household, numbering 4 men, evidently unmarried:

Daniel Thorp

Mathew Glaves

Jonathan Bristol

John Malinder

If you're interested in the specific individuals at Deep Pit in 1841, I can post those.

Per the 1841 census, Enumeration District 18, Park District, there were two Deep Pit addresses enumerated: "Deep Pit" and "Deep Pit Cabin."

Deep Pit was a collection of 10 households, numbering 52 persons:

Deep Pit Surnames:

Cheetham

Needham

Pollard

Lee

Hobson

Pollard

Eaton

Taylor

Richardson

Scholey

Deep Pit Cabin was a single household, numbering 4 men, evidently unmarried:

Daniel Thorp

Mathew Glaves

Jonathan Bristol

John Malinder

If you're interested in the specific individuals at Deep Pit in 1841, I can post those.

Thank`s to you all for the info about Deep Pit.

I came across this inquest Report in the 1829 Sheffield Independant.

On Wednesday,an inquest was held on view of the body

of George Bellamy who was in the act of decending into

one of the pits at the Deep Pit Colliery near Sheffield when

the rope to which the corve was attached broke and he was

precipitated to the bottom and killed. Verdict Accidental death.

what is a corve? any one!

Thank`s mgc

The 1851 census should read 1841.

My Ancesters The Bellamys, most of them Miners and most lived in The Park District of Sheffield.

George Bellamys Father Peter, was living on Stafford Street in 1808.

Southside

Thank`s to you all for the info about Deep Pit.

I came across this inquest Report in the 1829 Sheffield Independant.

On Wednesday,an inquest was held on view of the body

of George Bellamy who was in the act of decending into

one of the pits at the Deep Pit Colliery near Sheffield when

the rope to which the corve was attached broke and he was

precipitated to the bottom and killed. Verdict Accidental death.

what is a corve? any one!

Thank`s mgc

The 1851 census should read 1841.

My Ancesters The Bellamys, most of them Miners and most lived in The Park District of Sheffield.

George Bellamys Father Peter, was living on Stafford Street in 1808.

Southside

Dictionary.com directs the user to see the term "corf" when "corve" is input. The results:

British

1. Mining:

a.) a small wagon for carrying coal, ore, etc.

b.) a wicker basket formerly used for this purpose.

2. a basket, cage, or boxlike structure with perforations for keeping lobsters or fish alive in water.

So, apparently, the rope was either attached to a coal basket (corf) on the descending end, or the rope was attached to a coal wagon (corf) acting as a topside anchor.

Its a long time since this enquiry was made but if anyone is still interested in Deep pits I can tell you that Deep pits Farm, which was tenanted by my Great great Grandad - Walter "farmer" Bell, was located where the KFC drive through is now situated on City Road,  The farm ruins were still visible when I used to go to town on the 95 bus in my youth!  The farm was part of a compulsory purchase order in the 30's to make way for the Arbourthorne estate. The 1st the  of red brick terraces opposite the drive through was originally a dairy run by his daughter and son-in-law.  Supposedly the long gardens behind those terraces all used to have pig stys at the top!.  I have been trying to find the WW1 memorial to those who came from Deep pits which would have 10 names on it including 2 of Farmer Bells Sons. It was originally placed outside Deep pits Methodist Church and institute which was situated opposite the top end of city Road Cemetery, not far from Spring lane. That's probably where the petrol station is now.  I wonder what happend to the memorial stone?