Castle Crisps

RichardB

"Approached 500"! Seems like a long time ago - noticed you have crept past the big 20,000! That's worth a whole box of crisps Richard. Well done that man.

I approached 500 postings and asked if I would get a "Castle Crisps Badge", instead I got a "The 500 Club" picture-thingie (not sure what it's called, I call it Crispy), just so we know there was a Castle Crisps .....

Fish and chip shops were the only 'fast food' outlets available, and children would spend their pocket money on 'a pen'orth' of chips with 'bits' pieces of batter that had fallen off the fish. These could be 'washed down' with dandelion and burdock, ice cream soda or lemonade, which had been produced by local manufacturers Heath & Smith or Ben Shaw. A substitute for 'pop' was a glass of water with liquorice stick dipped in for flavour. Jubblies were triangular cartons or orange juice that had been frozen and could be bought from the ice cream seller. Local manufacturer, Massarella's would ride around the streets with a horse and cart, and in later years Wall's sellers would ride their freezer tricycles blowing a whistle or ringing a bell.

The corner shop or local sweetshop was a magnet for a child with pocket money; sweets could be bought for as little as a penny or even a farthing. There were love hearts, sherbet fountains or dabs, 1d chews, fruit salad, lucky bags, liquorice pipes, cherry lips, broken toffee and broken biscuits, Butterkist popcorn, dolly mixtures, gobstoppers, bubble gum, bulls eyes (which changed colour), toffee apples, cola cubes, midget gems 'boilings' which lasted longer! Local specialities included Armitage's pear drops, Mary Teale's humbugs (both of which stuck to the triangular bags in which they were sold), Nuttall's Mintoes, Parkinson's Royal Butterscotch and Radiance toffees. There were no flavoured crisps for sale only plain. Smith's Crisps, and locally produced XL and Castle Crisps added a small twist of salt in blue paper to the bag.

Source : http://www.speakingvolumesonline.org.uk/ed...l.asp?ia_id=606

Rather delightful site, this page came from "Innocence, Freedom and Fun: Childhood Memories"

More information on this site :

Project aims

The Speaking Volumes initiative aims to bring the enjoyment of reading and involvement in reading activities to people with a visual impairment through the public libraries in all fifteen local authorities throughout the Yorkshire and Humber region.

Go pay 'em a visit :rolleyes: