Street Names

Guest metalmickuk

Guest metalmickuk

trying to find out when and why shaw house lane stocksbridge ,changed to shay house lane.

As to why, Councils only change names very reluctantly,and usually because a name is duplicated and causing confusion. This sometimes happens when boundaries change, or when an area is developed. I can't help with this one in particular, but is there another name that could have been causing confusion?

Guest metalmickuk

As to why, Councils only change names very reluctantly,and usually because a name is duplicated and causing confusion. This sometimes happens when boundaries change, or when an area is developed. I can't help with this one in particular, but is there another name that could have been causing confusion?

Lots of the old streets around here have a house of the same name,Pot house, Spink hall etc.There is a Shaw family history web site based in Germany and one of the clan is shown as being born in Shaw house Early in the 1800s.When we bought the house it was said it was built around 1900 but early maps show a house on the plot long before .My theory is the house was rebuilt and for what ever reason the street was renamed the dates seem to match up.The house is called shaw house in the deeds so the orginal house may predate the road.

Lots of the old streets around here have a house of the same name,Pot house, Spink hall etc.There is a Shaw family history web site based in Germany and one of the clan is shown as being born in Shaw house Early in the 1800s.When we bought the house it was said it was built around 1900 but early maps show a house on the plot long before .My theory is the house was rebuilt and for what ever reason the street was renamed the dates seem to match up.The house is called shaw house in the deeds so the orginal house may predate the road.

see the link, I believe that this is the 1855 OS map, however please dont quote me. it shows it named as Shay house Lane.

Depending what map you look at various names appear to change. For instance Hole House Lane sometimes is spelt Hoyle House Lane, as was Hole House Farm and cottages which on the deeds were known as Hoyle House.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

I'm searching for New Street Lane, where could this have been in the late 1883?

Off Broad Street. Between Bard Street and Stepney Street.

Edit: Most of it is still there

Off Broad Street. Between Bard Street and Stepney Street.

Edit: Most of it is still there

Thanks vox. Wow hasn't it changed round that area, haven't been around there for years.