Brincliffe Edge Woods / Allotments

markg

There is evidence of past uses but what were they? I walk our dog here regularly and keep spotting evidence that the woods must have been "used" for something in the past for instance there are wrought iron gates in the wall along Brincliffe Edge Road and some blocked up gates. There seems to be some tracks or terraces in some parts of the woods. It seems the land is far too steep to be used as fields.

The allotments at the bottom of the hill occupy the flatter land but I guess there used to be more of them as there are some areas that are now wooded with young trees but you can still see the outline of where allotments were. Presumably these are 20th century but the wall and gates are much older.

There is evidence of past uses but what were they? I walk our dog here regularly and keep spotting evidence that the woods must have been "used" for something in the past for instance there are wrought iron gates in the wall along Brincliffe Edge Road and some blocked up gates. There seems to be some tracks or terraces in some parts of the woods. It seems the land is far too steep to be used as fields.

The allotments at the bottom of the hill occupy the flatter land but I guess there used to be more of them as there are some areas that are now wooded with young trees but you can still see the outline of where allotments were. Presumably these are 20th century but the wall and gates are much older.

Quarries nearby ...

http://www.aspects.net/~janus/Brincliffe.htm

image courtesy of Google

A good question markg.

I have taken a look at maps of the area dating as far back as the 1850's,

and nothing obvious appears until the allotments were created (sometime between 1924 & 1935).

So my guess is the gates and openings provided access to the allotments.

However,

there was a footpath that ran from Brinciffe Edge Road to Knab Cottage that stood next to what was Carter Knowle Lane, so that should be worth looking into.

Oh and welcome to SheffieldHistory.

However,

there was a footpath that ran from Brinciffe Edge Road to Knab Cottage that stood next to what was Carter Knowle Lane, so that should be worth looking into.

Here is a map overlay, it shows the old footpath (F.P.)and where it meets Brincliffe Edge Road.

(1903)

Link to Flash Earth

I don't know about this specific area, but evidence fom the Porter Valley nearby shows that during WW1 and WW2 allotments were in use on just about every bit of ground available. Much of the now -wooded hillside in Bingham Park was under allotments, and there were even allotments where the golf course now stands.

After the war many of the less-accessible allotments were abandonned, and have reverted to woodland. This sounds very much like the woods you describe.