Harringtons

Guest shezza91

Guest shezza91

I seem to remember almost everyone went there for jeans/trousers/jackets.

If you wanted to try something on you had to climb a ladder up to the stock room in the roof.

lol

Guest transit

I seem to remember almost everyone went there for jeans/trousers/jackets.

If you wanted to try something on you had to climb a ladder up to the stock room in the roof.

lol

....and no matter what -what ever you tried - you had to buy , because of the ""pushy" salesman who insisted you looked amazing in that clobber!

I well remember climbing that ladder to try on some cool threads .... (with hindsight, hideous early 1970's fashion disasters)

Here is how the place looked last week.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2007/post-14-1179762890.jpg,

Guest shezza91

Here is how the place looked last week.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2007/post-14-1179762890.jpg,

thanks for that its brilliant.

I like how they took visa before they closed.

Guest Mickey

I remember 'stay press' trousers from Harringtons were all the rage in the 80s - available in a range of colours.

Star Jumpers

Satin Jackets

Oxford bags 32" bottoms

High Waisters

Slade socks

Two tone trousers

jumbo collar shirts

button down ben shermans

They had the lot for the glam 70s kids, but climbing the ladder to the changing room was a trial in your 4" platforms

Guest coffee cup

I seem to remember most of the Harrington Jackets were worn by the "Bovva Boys ", with skin tight jeans and Doc Martins. They usually had a Skin Head as well. Remember seeing mostly the Green Jackets. I really wanted one, - a Harrington Jacket- that is, but parents wouldn't let me, said they were only worn by thugs.

I didn't agree, but couldn't budge them, and then I didn't get enough spending money to buy one myself.

:(:(:( , so alas I went without. :( :(

I knew Brian well and also remember his late father David when they worked in the market, David was a proper gentleman.

Brian and his father were both keen anglers, that's how i got to know them both.

I worked in a fishing tackle shop on Lady's Bridge/Wicker, and on a Saturday afternoon Brian

would telephone and place his tackle/bait order.

When it got to around 4 pm i would walk up to the Castle mkt: with Brian's order,

and was normaly greeted with some type of comical remark like 'ay up and hows yu wagglers'

(waggler being a fishing float)

'Me blushing in front of all the customers'

One of his favourite and very private fishing spots was in the lake at Harewood House nr: Leeds,

many a time he would ask me to go up with him to fish there.

I now sadly regret never taking up his offer.

Harringtons was the only place I knew where you could get made-to-measure shirts. They weren't cheap, but they were the only shirts I could get that would fit without being altered (I must be an odd shape). I keep my only remaining Harrington's shirt for weddings and funerals...

If that's true and they still have some cherry coloured staypressed trousers and bomber jackets then I'm going down to buy them !

Guest belfrybum

Harringtons was the best place for "farah" trousers,worn at school.

My mother always insisted taking at least 4 pairs of them up the ladder to try on.

There always seemed to be a woman lurking in the changing area when i was trying the trousers on!

Can any body remember Rabina shoes just up from Harrintons? When you had been for your stay press and harrington jacket, you then went and bought your original PODS from there and later on in fashion terms, you bought you pointed shoes from there as well they were the best two shops in town. Rabina opened a shop in Orchard square but they eventually shut down. I noticed that pointed shoes have come back into some sort of fashion but nowt like Rabinas!

Guest harringtons

I knew Brian well and also remember his late father David when they worked in the market, David was a proper gentleman.

Brian and his father were both keen anglers, that's how i got to know them both.

I worked in a fishing tackle shop on Lady's Bridge/Wicker, and on a Saturday afternoon Brian

would telephone and place his tackle/bait order.

When it got to around 4 pm i would walk up to the Castle mkt: with Brian's order,

and was normaly greeted with some type of comical remark like 'ay up and hows yu wagglers'

(waggler being a fishing float)

'Me blushing in front of all the customers'

One of his favourite and very private fishing spots was in the lake at Harewood House nr: Leeds,

many a time he would ask me to go up with him to fish there.

I now sadly regret never taking up his offer.

Hi its Brian Harrington how are you , forgive me ive forgotten your name , thanks for those kind words great memorys , sad to hear calcotts has closed down ,im in donny market now bob in sometime for a chat and a catch up .

Guest harringtons

Harringtons was the only place I knew where you could get made-to-measure shirts. They weren't cheap, but they were the only shirts I could get that would fit without being altered (I must be an odd shape). I keep my only remaining Harrington's shirt for weddings and funerals...

hi its brian harrington hear ,what are you on, those shirts were hand made by my dad, and he only put an extra 10% on the price ,today they would cost a fortune ,keep those shirts they are collectors items . cheers Brian Harrington.

Fantastic !!

We've got a Harrington on the site - many thanks for joining and welcome to Sheffield History !

Your shops are legendary

Hi Brian welcome to the site. I took the above photos whilst back on a trip home in May. Can you tell me why you vacated the Castle Market site?? As you can tell a lot of members on this site have fond memories of shopping there.

Guest Noise Heat Power

do you no were the name came from?????? REgrds Brian Harrington.....

Well according to the Wikipedia entry on the subject of Harrington jackets...

"The first Harrington-style jackets were made by British clothing company Baracuta in the 1930s. As of 2007, the company still makes the same model, the G9. Elvis Presley popularized the Baracuta G9 when he wore it in his 1958 movie King Creole. This style of jacket earned the nickname Harrington because it was worn by the character Rodney Harrington (played by Ryan O'Neal) in the 1960s television program Peyton Place; John Simmons, who opened 'The Ivy Shop', Richmond, London, claims to have coined this description."

Hi Brian,

Good to know you're still in business. Used to love going to your shop,climbing up the ladder to try on the latest tweed oxford bags or to get a Ben Sherman shirt,made all the better because one day I told you I worked for the N.H.S. and from that day on you gave me a 10% discount. Happy days, strange fashions (Tweed oxford bags I ask you).

Guest wayne

Yeah Brain would always give you loads of wonder web to take the trouses up if the legs was to long.He was a great guy always happy to help .But once you was upstairs you where there till he sorted you out with something.The two way intercom made sure of that.And all the saturday staff he sure was busy.And the shirt shop they had at the bottom of the castle market toilets step .Happy days