Salmon Pastures

RichardB

Salmon Pastures, where was it please ? Any pictures, old or modern gratefully received. Are there any Salmon there these days ?

Guest tsavo

From memory, Attercliffe Road from town, right hand side past what I remember as the 'Ferrodo' bridge. Sorry to be vague, but can't remember the proper name. Last time I looked, (10 years ago) I only saw rats!

RichardB said:
Salmon Pastures, where was it please ? Any pictures, old or modern gratefully received. Are there any Salmon there these days ?

Hi Richard

It's on The Five Weirs Walk i beleive just below Washford Bridge i have found a artists impresion of a few years back care of picture Sheffield.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/;s11422

Guest jossman

Salmon Pastures has been fishable for the last 5 or so years and the fishing rites are owned by the Steel Corporation at Shepcote Lane. Since the clean up of the Don it has become good fishing.

Guest acquiescefc

I used to work in the fuel depot there. Best job i ever had, wrong time for the industry though.

Have some pics but dont have a scanner.

Guest plain talker

On picture sheffield, there's some shots, taken from Hyde park Flats, looking over what would become the Parkway, toward Attercliffe. You can just about make out the Salmon Pastures school.

On this particular picture https://www.picturesheffield.com/u01778

you can make the school out on the right hand side of the shot, directly above some white-rooved, "factory looking" buildings, about half way up that side.

it's a blackened, zig-zag shape, not fantastically clear, because of the distance at which the picture is taken from, sadly.

Guest plain talker

drat, Grinderbloke, that pic must have been taken at night! ;) All I can get is a black screen when i try to access that pic.

Guest coffee cup

When I attended Shirecliffe College in the 80,s, we had to go down to their annex which was at Salmon Pastures, none of us had heard of it let alone knew where it was. All we were told is it was at attercliffe.

I am assuming that the building we used was the old Salmon Pastures school, I remember it was rather old, but had been cleaned up on the outside.

I remember there wasn't much to do down there, I don't remember there being a canteen either, so it was either take your own lunch or hop foot it up to a very small chip shop just up the road.

Guest plain talker

coffee cup,

that's correct, the old Salmon Pastures school was used as the annexe for shirecliffe college.

I did my drama diploma there, and we learnt carpentry skills in the SP workshops so we could build scenery flats and set-design!!

Guest Jeremy

I remember being told that at one time it was not uncommon for porpoises to follow migrating salmon as far upstream as Salmon Pastures. It may or may not be true though.

Jeremy

Guest Krystyna

An interesting experience happened here in 1986/87 if I recall whilst I was on as Social Care Course. There was a ***, quiet, timid, caretaker/cleaner, I forgot his name, who was arrested for the murder of a teenage boy from Firth Park School.

There was a link with a *** relationship that may have turned sour, the caretaker had murdered the boy who was found dead on Shirecliffe Lane, between Barnsley Road and Shirecliffe Road.

I cannot beleive how 20 years has passed, and wonder if this caretaker has been released, or still remains in prison. I understand he got a life sentence.

Does anyone know or recollect any more?

Krystyna

Guest plain talker

I remember the murder of the young man happening, but I don't remember the subsequent trial, or who was convicted for the murder.

I was working in a Stainless Steel factory week before last whose address was "Salmon Pastures"

There was a sign up there at the side of the river telling the story of the area. Will have to go back and take some pictures.

Guest skeets

in ancient times Salmon Pastures was an area where salmon abounded so much so poor people were tired of them hence the name, skeets

in ancient times Salmon Pastures was an area where salmon abounded so much so poor people were tired of them hence the name, skeets

I don't know if it's true but I remember being told there are old apprenticeship documents with a clause limiting the number of times a week they could be given salmon to eat, because it was so common. There was something in the paper last week about how clean the rivers are becoming and the fish and wildlife are returning, including traces of otters close to the city centre!

As an aside, I seem to remember the first Sheffield Youth Theatre group activities being done htere - about 1977ish??

As an aside, I seem to remember the first Sheffield Youth Theatre group activities being done htere - about 1977ish??

Also, as an aside,

The Grey Horse Public House was on Salmon Pastures.and the small chip shop mentioned in an earlier post was most probably The Washford Public House which became a chip shop after closing down as a pub .Been in both of them.

Guest transit

Also, as an aside,

The Grey Horse Public House was on Salmon Pastures.and the small chip shop mentioned in an earlier post was most probably The Washford Public House which became a chip shop after closing down as a pub .Been in both of them.

.....the chip shop is now a double-glazing glass retailers!

SALMON PASTURES WAS A COAL YARD UPTO THE LATE 60S THERE USE TO BE A RAIL LINE FROM THE PIT AT THE TOP OF WOODBOURNE ROAD IT BELONGED TO N.C.B

IF YOU WANT MORE INFO READ THE BOOK TS CALLED :WHERE SPARROW COUGHED : BY FRANK HARTLEY

As an apprentice engineer in the early 60's I went to Salmon Pastures (the old school) on day release from work once a week. I remember our "teacher" was called Mr Brammer, and yes the only place to eat at dinner time was the chip shop.