School Croft

Guest aliwillson

Guest aliwillson

Hi,

Can someone help me ?

My great ,great grandfather, George Jones married Sarah ann Moore in St James church, Sheffield in 1867. ( I have the marriage certificate). It is a mystery as both were born and lived in Gorton, Manchester.

The marriage certificate states that they lived in school croft, which can be seen to be very close to St James church on a map.

Does any one have access to the 1867 archive rate books.? Im trying to find the reason for their living in Sheffield and for how long. It states that George was a moulder by trade, yet he became a house painter from 1871 onwards.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as im researching from Australia, which is difficult at the best of times.

How sure are you that you have the correct certificate?

Do you have a birth certificate for a child of this couple that states the mother's maiden name is MOORE.

Where are they in the 1871 census back in Manchester or living in Sheffield.?

Guest aliwillson

How sure are you that you have the correct certificate?

Do you have a birth certificate for a child of this couple that states the mother's maiden name is MOORE.

Where are they in the 1871 census back in Manchester or living in Sheffield.?

Thank you so much for your reply.

To answer your questions:

Yes, i am sure that Sarah ann was formerly Moore as i have the birth certificate of her daughter Alice. I have scoured all marriages from 1860 to 1873 for a George Jones and Sarah ann Moore and this was the only one.

The marriage certificate of George and Sarah ann shows both the fathers as correct and their occupations also fit.

In the 1871 census, Georges father, Thomas was living with them. All were living in Gorton, Manchester.

address 1 Beswick street.

Gorton

St James

RG 10/3982

Do you think perhaps he married above his station and therefore eloped or perhaps was doing a trade in Sheffield?

Either way, i was hoping the rent books may give me some clue.

I hope you can be of further assistance and i look forward to hearing from you.