Calling All Projectionists, I Need Your Help!

Guest alex birks

Guest alex birks

Dear Sir/Madame,

My name is Alex Birks, a final year Masters student, studying Graphic Design at Sheffield Hallam University. I am currently undertaking a large research based study, on the rise and fall of cinema, starting from the early 1900s to the present day. I have been focusing on the many changes to film making throughout time, such as black & white silent films, atmospheric theatre, the triumph in talking pictures, Technicolor, etc. I have also been paying close attention to cinema technology and the roles of the cinema staff, required to run a functioning theatre.

I have recently visited 'The Cinema Museum' in London, where I met Ronald Grant, a cinema enthusiast who has devoted his life to preserving the cinema experience, since it began in the late 1800s. After sharing stories and speaking to him over the course of the visit, I gained a strong interest in the projectionist and how they have adapted to the changes in both technology and the requirements of cinema-goers.

This letter is addressed to anybody who has been involved in cinema over the years, particularly before the introduction of the multi-plex cinema, as I would like to find out more. As part of my final product I would like to document an encounter I have had with someone involved in the cinema, as a biography/information piece.

If you, or anybody you know could qualify for this position please could you get in contact with me. This will be a tremendously exiting opportunity, and a great way to share your enthusiasm with many people, both educated and non-educated in the subject.

I live in Sheffield and would be prepared to travel to meet you.

Thank you for listening to my proposal.

Yours Faithfully,

Alexander Birks

Contact details:

e-mail – alexbirks88@yahoo.com

Mobile - < removed >

------------------------

Edit, please contact a member of the SheffieldHistory moderating team if you require Alexanders phone number.

This letter is addressed to anybody who has been involved in cinema over the years, particularly before the introduction of the multi-plex cinema, as I would like to find out more. As part of my final product I would like to document an encounter I have had with someone involved in the cinema, as a biography/information piece.

If you, or anybody you know could qualify for this position please could you get in contact with me. This will be a tremendously exiting opportunity, and a great way to share your enthusiasm with many people, both educated and non-educated in the subject.

Sadly, the man you really needed to be talking to passed away in 2009; Lawrence (or Tsavo as that was his nickname) was indeed a projectionist. He is greatly missed on this site.

However, he left the majority of the information in this thread and hopefully, other with a similar passion and expertise may be able to provide you with further information.

For now, since I have no knowledge of the subject, I wish you well and suggest a trawl through the Cinema thread here.

Please keep us updated with any Sheffield-related Cinema/Projectionist information that you feel you can pass along - having no knowledge of a subject doesn't mean no interest.

Sadly, the man you really needed to be talking to passed away in 2009; Lawrence (or Tsavo as that was his nickname) was indeed a projectionist. He is greatly missed on this site.

However, he left the majority of the information in this thread and hopefully, other with a similar passion and expertise may be able to provide you with further information.

For now, since I have no knowledge of the subject, I wish you well and suggest a trawl through the Cinema thread here.

Please keep us updated with any Sheffield-related Cinema/Projectionist information that you feel you can pass along - having no knowledge of a subject doesn't mean no interest.

Fortunately Richard, as well as Tsavo we have at least 2 other ex-projectionist members that post in the cinemas section and obviously have a very extensive knowledge of working in cinemas. However they are not regular posters and I don't think they log in daily so we may have to wait a while for their reply.

Received via email

hi,i worked at the abc and gaumont in the 60s if i can help this project,

regards barry fellows

for email address send pm to any of our moderators