Gramps

Guest Gramps

Guest Gramps

I'm posting to let you know that 'Gramps', my father Eric Howgate, died in early May following a short illness. We have only just started going through his PC and we can see that he was very active on this forum. Local and family history was one of his greatest pleasures in life.

I'm posting to let you know that 'Gramps', my father Eric Howgate, died in early May following a short illness. We have only just started going through his PC and we can see that he was very active on this forum. Local and family history was one of his greatest pleasures in life.

Sorry to hear that,

and we thank you for letting our members know the sad news.

May God bless you and your family.

R.I.P. Eric.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Gramps was a good friend to this place and will be remembered fondly.

Regards

RichardB.

I am so sorry to hear your news. Your father and I had a number of discussions on here and by email, and he was a very knowledgeable local historian. We shared a great interest in Harrison's Survey of Sheffield, and I like to think we were friends , even though we never met. Gramps had a wry sense of humour, and he will be greatly missed by us all. Thank you for letting us know the sad news.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Gramps, he will be sadly missed on this site.

Our thoughts to you and the family.

Oh I am so sorry to hear this news - like others had some great exchanges with Eric and he put me right a few times. I know a couple of times he thought he had ruffled a few feathers too many but as we agreed there is nowt like a bit of controversy. He made some great contributions and some invaluable map posts. I remember going and taking a few photographs of things he had recommended around Page Hall/Firth Park. I am sorry I never met him.

Thoughts and prayers with your family.

RIP Eric

A couple of my favourite "Gramps" threads :

Windmills in Sheffield

Cannon Hall

I am very sorry to hear this sad news.

"Gramps" was one of our most prolific posters on the site (as you say he was very active), in fact he has made more posts than any other member except for those involved in the moderation, administration and running of the site.

His posts were always knowledgable, well explained and either helpful or thought provoking making you think again and question the accuracy of your own posts. I remember a series of exchanges with him about underground streams in which he produced a contour map and he really made me think again about where some of these must actually run in the hidden part of their course.

He will certainly be missed in SheffieldHistory.

DaveH

Very sad to hear of your loss he will be greatly missed on this site may he rest in peace.

Guest Trefcon

God bless you 'Gramps' , i also echo the Cannon Hall thread mentioned by Dunsby.

A couple of my favourite "Gramps" threads :

Windmills in Sheffield

Cannon Hall

Re-read them both and enjoyed them immensely; as Dave said - a poster that questioned (in a positive way) and made you stop and think; also a nice, wry sense of humour evident.

Re-read them both and enjoyed them immensely; as Dave said - a poster that questioned (in a positive way) and made you stop and think; also a nice, wry sense of humour evident.

RIP Eric

Gramps was a very knowledgeable guy, he will be sadly missed

In memory of Eric (Gramps).

No farewell words were spoken,

no time to say goodbye,

you were gone before we knew it,

and only God knows why.