Banners - Attercliffe

dunsbyowl1867

My Grandad told me it had the first escalator in Sheffield or was it in England? My mum used to take us in the 1970s - I know the shop has long gone but is the building still there?

My Grandad told me it had the first escalator in Sheffield or was it in England? My mum used to take us in the 1970s - I know the shop has long gone but is the building still there?

The main point about this, I think, is it was a wooden escalator, I remember jumping on and off the wooden slats as the escalator went round and round, early 70's maybe ... the escalator that is, not me :rolleyes:

Guest transit

The main point about this, I think, is it was a wooden escalator, I remember jumping on and off the wooden slats as the escalator went round and round, early 70's maybe ... the escalator that is, not me :rolleyes:

.... but still had a see through cage type lift, with the cantilever sliding door, (against the back wall)- with stairs wrapping round the lift shaft - for people wanting to go to the bottom floor. The escalater was for people going from middle to top floor.

Guest mackyD

Yes the building is still there. Spent many hours in Banners in the 70's. The food hall mainly - sooo boring for a kid! But, had no choice, it was a case of "come on, you're coming shopping wi me, got t get somat f ya dad's tea" or words to that effect!

Guest AnnH

The building is still there - or it was last summer - but it looks very tatty now. Regards, Ann

Your grandad was right, Banners did have one of the oldest escalators in the country installed inside the building. Equally as interesting it had a series of tubes around the building which allowed messages, money and small items to be moved around the building from one operator to another using canisters which were moved through the tubes by compressed air. Common in big stores a hundred years ago those devices are now much rarer than the old escalators.

Sadly both the escalator and the tube system were both removed from the store some time ago, I think in the 1970's and sold to America

Yes the building is still there. Spent many hours in Banners in the 70's. The food hall mainly - sooo boring for a kid! But, had no choice, it was a case of "come on, you're coming shopping wi me, got t get somat f ya dad's tea" or words to that effect!

A view up Attercliffe Common taken in 1974. Banners is in the right of centre (the white building), clearly visible as the road bends to the left on its way out to Tinsley and Rotherham. As this is Attercliffe and it has been completely redeveloped in the last 30 years the picture also shows some other long forgotten local buildings in this area, Wigfalls being very prominent.

Spent lots of happy hours in that pub in the late 70s - but can't remember the name of it ! :blink: [Must be the nightcap taking effect]

Was taken to Banners a few times in the 50s for my school uniform - cheaper than the CoOp and Coles. The escalator I think was a wooden one rather than steel as the modern ones are.

Spent lots of happy hours in that pub in the late 70s - but can't remember the name of it ! :blink: [Must be the nightcap taking effect]

Was taken to Banners a few times in the 50s for my school uniform - cheaper than the CoOp and Coles. The escalator I think was a wooden one rather than steel as the modern ones are.

It was The Sportsman, 504 Attercliffe Rd.Page three of Pubs of Sheffield in the Gallery .Now known as M&J,s Kareoke Bar.

Unfortunately I dont know how to form a link to the photo.

Link The Sportsman,

It was The Sportsman, 504 Attercliffe Rd.Page three of Pubs of Sheffield in the Gallery .Now known as M&J,s Kareoke Bar.

Unfortunately I dont know how to form a link to the photo.

Link The Sportsman,

Great link POPPYCHRISTINA

A closer look at my picture shows clearly the WARDS brewery name in the sign and a sign underneath has the WARDS wheatsheaf. The picture on the sign shows a man carrying on his shoulder what appears to be a gun and he has a dog with him, a bit like a huntsman which would fit in well with the name "The Sportsman" although the name cannot be made out in the picture.

Your picture is obviosly more modern, advertising as it does entertainment evenings. The sign is sideways on so cannot be read so that leaves me with 2 questions -

1) Is the sportsman still there and open as a public house?

2) If it is, with the demise of Wards Brewery some years ago now who currently runs it and what beer do they sell?

Great link POPPYCHRISTINA

A closer look at my picture shows clearly the WARDS brewery name in the sign and a sign underneath has the WARDS wheatsheaf. The picture on the sign shows a man carrying on his shoulder what appears to be a gun and he has a dog with him, a bit like a huntsman which would fit in well with the name "The Sportsman" although the name cannot be made out in the picture.

Your picture is obviosly more modern, advertising as it does entertainment evenings. The sign is sideways on so cannot be read so that leaves me with 2 questions -

1) Is the sportsman still there and open as a public house?

2) If it is, with the demise of Wards Brewery some years ago now who currently runs it and what beer do they sell?

Dave

It is on multimap Aerial Photo, do not know the date of that, quite uptodate I think

see link below

Sportsman

Dave

It is on multimap Aerial Photo, do not know the date of that, quite uptodate I think

see link below

Sportsman

Found it on the link OK Stuart, suppose if we want to know what the beer's like we'll have to go down there some time.

As this thread is actually about Banners, this building is also present on the multimap site so what is Banners building used foe these days?

One further question which I have previously posted about this building in the Sheffield at war section about ARP officers,

What happened to the Sheffield Blitz Museum which used to be on the top floor of the Banners building in the 1980's? I ask because my wife's grandfather, who was in the ARP had some of his memorabilia from the Blitz displayed there and the exhibits seem to have disappeared along with the museum.

In answer to two questions asked

The sportsman is still there, now a karioki venue

Banners is still in use, the upper floors are offices, the lower floor has been remodeled to look

like a courtyard with shops around the edges..the courtyard is a cafe, the shops are an antique shop

and a travel agents.. Attercliffe seems to be slipping into a decline at the moment, not much in the shopping area

to attract people which is a shame. :(

Ma

In answer to two questions asked

The sportsman is still there, now a karioki venue

Banners is still in use, the upper floors are offices, the lower floor has been remodeled to look

like a courtyard with shops around the edges..the courtyard is a cafe, the shops are an antique shop

and a travel agents.. Attercliffe seems to be slipping into a decline at the moment, not much in the shopping area

to attract people which is a shame. :(

Ma

Seems to bring back another memory here.

The Blitz Museum used to be the whole of the top floor of Banners. when it "disappeared" the top floor became what could be described as an antiques shop. I say "could be described as" because on closer examination of these "antiques" they appear to be items from house clearances, probably of houses of eldery people who had passed away and their posessions would therefore be quite old and classed as "antique". All a perfectly legitimate business of course as relatives of recently deceased people often turn to house clearance companies as a way of clearing their relatives estate quickly with some financial gain at a time of high emotional stress, but of course not all the items are that "antique"

Is this the same "antique shop" you are describing here?

The "Blitz Museum" better known as Times Gone By was running in the 90s.

The Goverment at the time granted a thousand million to the council and the Sheffield Development Corporation in the late 80s for the redevelopment of the Lower Don Valley. Banners were part of this , I've still got the half hour tv program

shown in 1997 about the redevelopment. Like anything else it had it.s conditions , I believe they had to opperate for a number of years could have been 2 maybe 3 and as soon as that time was up Times Gone By closed.

Many people lost their memorabilia when it closed, never to be seen again. Where did it all go?

They use to have 40s nights, spam fritters spotted dick etc and of course the 40s music and dance, we had some

good nights there.

The "Blitz Museum" better known as Times Gone By was running in the 90s.

The Goverment at the time granted a thousand million to the council and the Sheffield Development Corporation in the late 80s for the redevelopment of the Lower Don Valley. Banners were part of this , I've still got the half hour tv program

shown in 1997 about the redevelopment. Like anything else it had it.s conditions , I believe they had to opperate for a number of years could have been 2 maybe 3 and as soon as that time was up Times Gone By closed.

Many people lost their memorabilia when it closed, never to be seen again. Where did it all go?

They use to have 40s nights, spam fritters spotted dick etc and of course the 40s music and dance, we had some

good nights there.

Thanks for the reply ukelele lady.

I didn't realise it was actually called Times Gone By and not just the Blitz museum and as you say a lot of valuable memorabilia which would be of interest to a lot of people seems to have just disappeared. It must be somewhere and someone must know where it is or what happened to it.

Your comment about them having a 40's night along with your user / display name (ukelele lady) reminded me that I can remember them advertising a 1940's George Formby night in which a load of "George Formby impersonators" turned up, dressed up like George all carrying their banjolele!

Guess who's on parade?

Some memories of the upstairs Banners " Times Gone By " 1997.

Some brilliant pictures of the Blitz museum at its best. Thanks for those ukelele lady.

Guess who's on parade, - well that first picture seems to be the George Formby night I mentioned previously, - fantastic that someone actually has a picture of it.

So do you play the ukelele yourself or did you just take your log-on name from the title of a song?

Some brilliant pictures of the Blitz museum at its best. Thanks for those ukelele lady.

Guess who's on parade, - well that first picture seems to be the George Formby night I mentioned previously, - fantastic that someone actually has a picture of it.

So do you play the ukelele yourself or did you just take your log-on name from the title of a song?

That's me Dave in the uniform, yes I play and entertain now and again at some 40s do's.

Although I seem to have less time to travel up and down doing this lately. lol

Iv'e got lots more pictures because they had 40s nights every Saturday night, open to the public.

Lots of coach trips use to visit too. The tram board painting in the background is now in some

showroom in Doncaster. Why didn't that stay in Sheffield?

That's me Dave in the uniform, yes I play and entertain now and again at some 40s do's.

Although I seem to have less time to travel up and down doing this lately. lol

Iv'e got lots more pictures because they had 40s nights every Saturday night, open to the public.

Lots of coach trips use to visit too. The tram board painting in the background is now in some

showroom in Doncaster. Why didn't that stay in Sheffield?

Yes it should have stayed in Sheffield, as should the rest of that museum!

40's nights are a lot of fun, regardless of weather you are old enough to remember them or not and of course in those days before television making your own entertainment like this must have been great.

I obviously didn't realise it was you in the picture but that image of a whole group of people playing the banjolele reminded me that there is in fact a George Formby society which goes round doing just this sort of thing. I can imagine that even 48 years after George's death (almost exactly) that his humour, music and entertainment are still very popular today.

I too remember the wooden escalator. Last time I used it was in the early 1970s. Does anyone remember that Banners had its own money?

I too remember the wooden escalator. Last time I used it was in the early 1970s. Does anyone remember that Banners had its own money?

Welcome to Sheffield History Pat.

There is another topic on the forum somewhere about the Banner Cheque money which I posted in recently but I can't seem to find it now and I am supposed to be a "link fairy" that sorts these sorts of connections between topics out.

When I find it, or if another admin can help, I will link it to here.

Welcome to Sheffield History Pat.

There is another topic on the forum somewhere about the Banner Cheque money which I posted in recently but I can't seem to find it now and I am supposed to be a "link fairy" that sorts these sorts of connections between topics out.

When I find it, or if another admin can help, I will link it to here.

This one Dave?

Banners

• Like 1

This one Dave?

Banners

Yes thats the one, thanks dunsbyowl.

hilldweller mentions banners money in post #31 and I reply in post #35 along with ukelele lady so there is a bit of material about Banners money ther for Pat Morton to have a look at.