The Lightwood Lane Locomotive

madannie77

Many years ago I was taken down Lightwood Lane in Norton to see a steam locomotive. All I remember was it being in a farm yard and being a small tank engine. As my father had no recolllection of this I was beginning to think I had imagined it all, but a recent purchase suggests that I was not.

Listed in Industrial Locomotives 1976 (an Industrial Railway Society publication) is an 0-4-0 Saddle tank built by Nasmyth Wilson of Patricroft in 1894, works number 454, owned by the Nasmyth Wilson Locomotive Preservation Group, Lightwood Farm, Norton.

This locomotive spent all it's working life at Brown Bayley's before being acquired for preservation in the early 1970s. It is now at Swanwick Junction at the Midland Railway Centre, disguised as Oswald the Talking Engine, a sad fate for the only standard gauge Nasmyth Wilson locomotive remaining in this country.

Does anyone else have any recollection of this locomotive's sojourn on Lightwood Lane?

Some photos of the loco I have found on the interweb:

In Brown Bayleys colours

What the locomotive looks like now :(

Many years ago I was taken down Lightwood Lane in Norton to see a steam locomotive. All I remember was it being in a farm yard and being a small tank engine. As my father had no recolllection of this I was beginning to think I had imagined it all, but a recent purchase suggests that I was not.

Listed in Industrial Locomotives 1976 (an Industrial Railway Society publication) is an 0-4-0 Saddle tank built by Nasmyth Wilson of Patricroft in 1894, works number 454, owned by the Nasmyth Wilson Locomotive Preservation Group, Lightwood Farm, Norton.

This locomotive spent all it's working life at Brown Bayley's before being acquired for preservation in the early 1970s. It is now at Swanwick Junction at the Midland Railway Centre, disguised as Oswald the Talking Engine, a sad fate for the only standard gauge Nasmyth Wilson locomotive remaining in this country.

Does anyone else have any recollection of this locomotive's sojourn on Lightwood Lane?

Some photos of the loco at Brown Bayleys I have found on the interweb:

At Brown Bayleys works in the 1960s

Being prepared for the move from Brown Bayleys

What the locomotive looks like now :(

I have no recollection of this steam locomotive madannie.

But I do have friends in Sheffield Steam club that owned an agricultural traction engine who used to do steam threshing down on Lightwood Farm which you mention in your post as recently as the early 1970's

Thanks for the memories 'madannie'. Many years ago I remember taking a young lady down Lightwood Lane, don't think it was to see a steam engine though ! W/E.

Thanks for the memories 'madannie'. Many years ago I remember taking a young lady down Lightwood Lane, don't think it was to see a steam engine though ! W/E.

Likewise, many many times!