Wesleyan Reform Churches In Sheffield

johnm

Purplejumper has purposely omitted all Wesleyan Reform churches from his listing of Methodist churches in Sheffield on here. So here is a list of WR churches I have put together with data from WRU website & the Sheffield Independant 1881 Religious Census of Sheffield. I have very little data on dates churches opened so if anyone can add anything on dates or inaccuracies please do so.

For those who don't know the history of how Methodism evolved I have attached a short account of key dates inc formation of Wesleyan reformers in 1849EVOLUTION OF METHODISM.doc

The Wesleyan Reform Union published a Centenary book "One is Your Master" - this can be seen at http://www.thewru.com/info/page1.htm but beware its a 24 Mb download!

Wesleyan Reform churches :

Ebenezer, Bramall Lane

Watery Street

Coal Aston, Cross Lane

Greenhead, Greenhead Lane, Chapeltown

Grimesthorpe, Upwell Lane ( 1851 – present)

Hampden View, Greaves St

Mayfield, Fulwood ( 1895 – present)

Oughtibridge, Church Street

Owlerton, Borough Rd

Phildelphia, Upperthorpe Rd

Richmond, Richmond Rd

Sharrow Vale, Sharrow Vale Rd

St Mary’s, Hereford St

Woodseats, Marshall Rd

Bodmin St, Attercliffe ( 1890- ?)

Weston St, (1861 - ?)

Gower St

Mount Gerizem, Duke St (1861 -?)

Ebenezer, Ellesmere Rd, Carbrook

Mount Olivet

Darnall

For those who don't know the history of how Methodism evolved I have attached a short account of key dates inc formation of Wesleyan reformers in 1849EVOLUTION OF METHODISM.doc

I have read this, thank you; once my head stops spinning I might be a bit more knowledgeable ... no wonder I never understood what all the different bits are/were.

Guest Sugarcandie

I got married in this beautiful little church 13 years ago my daughter still visits every Sunday

Richmond Church,

371 Richmond Road

www.richmondchurch.co.uk

Visit us on Facebook @ Richmond Church

Guest johnmh

Do you remember the whitsuntide boys brigade marches from various Wesleyan reform chapels mine was near the Upwell Street end of wincobank lane grimesthorpe we would march upto firth park, I was a rather poor bugler don't think I ever made much noise out of it drowned out by the others this would be around 1958 -1959 we moved from Bank Side Farm at the end Sanderson street Brightside. I went to Owler Lane High School the Headteacher was named Hall, I recall an incident in the assembly there one day when a teacher Miss Maynard slapped him across the face! My grandad and dad ran a pig farm at Brightside and a mobile hardware shop in a converted old Bedford coach.

Do you remember the whitsuntide boys brigade marches from various Wesleyan reform chapels mine was near the Upwell Street end of wincobank lane grimesthorpe we would march upto firth park, I was a rather poor bugler don't think I ever made much noise out of it drowned out by the others this would be around 1958 -1959 we moved from Bank Side Farm at the end Sanderson street Brightside. I went to Owler Lane High School the Headteacher was named Hall, I recall an incident in the assembly there one day when a teacher Miss Maynard slapped him across the face! My grandad and dad ran a pig farm at Brightside and a mobile hardware shop in a converted old Bedford coach.

Were you in the 53rd at Reform Chapel? I was in from being 8 in 1952 & stayed in as boy then officer until 1974 when I went to help dave Bennett at Creswick Greave & moved to Middlesbrough area in 1976. Here are a few photos of Whit parades. I have a number of other BB photos too as well as one of St Thomas' BB. Let me know if you want to see them. I went to Grimesthorpe Junior school but then Hinde House Secondary. John Moore

'>

'>

'>

'>

'>

'>