Theatre`s With Dancers In The Late 50`s Early 60`s

Guest Fiona187

Guest Fiona187

Hi..I`m trying to find out which theatres in Sheffield would have had dancers and maybe foreign acts playing at them...especially in about 1960/61....and how would I go about finding out what shows were on at that time...many thanks....

Guest abcman

Hi..I`m trying to find out which theatres in Sheffield would have had dancers and maybe foreign acts playing at them...especially in about 1960/61....and how would I go about finding out what shows were on at that time...many thanks....

In 1960-61 there were only two remaining theatres in Sheffield - The Lyceum, which was the commercial touring theatre and the Playhouse which presented plays by the Sheffield repertory Company. therefore the only theatre that would have dancers would be the Lyceum. Hope this is of help. If there is any particular show you are thinking about I may be able to tell you when it played at the Lyceum.

Guest Fiona187

In 1960-61 there were only two remaining theatres in Sheffield - The Lyceum, which was the commercial touring theatre and the Playhouse which presented plays by the Sheffield repertory Company. therefore the only theatre that would have dancers would be the Lyceum. Hope this is of help. If there is any particular show you are thinking about I may be able to tell you when it played at the Lyceum.

Hi...I`m just getting used to this site..not sure if I`m replying in the right place..anyway it isnt an actual show I`m looking for its more what was on at the time..and how would I find out who was in the shows...I just have to collect children from school then I can explain a bit more..thankyou for the offer of help..

Guest Fiona187

Hi...I`m just getting used to this site..not sure if I`m replying in the right place..anyway it isnt an actual show I`m looking for its more what was on at the time..and how would I find out who was in the shows...I just have to collect children from school then I can explain a bit more..thankyou for the offer of help..

Right I`m back now....shall I explain...a friend was born on the 16th Dec 1961 and was adopted..his birth mum was a dancer in the theatre..and his father an Italian singer...hence wanting to know about what would have been on in late 1960 early 1961 in Sheffield...how can I find that out please...Thankyou

Guest abcman

Right I`m back now....shall I explain...a friend was born on the 16th Dec 1961 and was adopted..his birth mum was a dancer in the theatre..and his father an Italian singer...hence wanting to know about what would have been on in late 1960 early 1961 in Sheffield...how can I find that out please...Thankyou

Hi Fiona

The panto the year before at the Lyceum (1959-60) 'wee pipe Whittington' starred the singer Toni Dalli who I believe was of Italian descent but had some connection to Sheffield if my memory serves me correct. Could this be the person you refer to.

Richard

Guest Fiona187

Hi Fiona

The panto the year before at the Lyceum (1959-60) 'wee pipe Whittington' starred the singer Toni Dalli who I believe was of Italian descent but had some connection to Sheffield if my memory serves me correct. Could this be the person you refer to.

I really dont know..we`re waiting for his birth certificate at the moment so dont have a great deal to go on..only what the family have said..that his mother was a young dancer and his father an Italian singer...are there sites that I can look at that give the details of shows that were on at The Lyceum...and the cast members...just to give us an idea really...but that name sounds good doesnt it..lol..my friend jokingly said he wondered if he was Pavarotti`s love child as he is good at singing..haha..thanks for your help..once we have names it may be easier...Fiona

Guest abcman

I really dont know..we`re waiting for his birth certificate at the moment so dont have a great deal to go on..only what the family have said..that his mother was a young dancer and his father an Italian singer...are there sites that I can look at that give the details of shows that were on at The Lyceum...and the cast members...just to give us an idea really...but that name sounds good doesnt it..lol..my friend jokingly said he wondered if he was Pavarotti`s love child as he is good at singing..haha..thanks for your help..once we have names it may be easier...Fiona

Fiona

Toni Dalli was born as Antonio D'Allesandro in Italy 1933 and moved to England when he was 16 and lived in Yorkshire, working in coal mines and the steel industry and began singing in local clubs. He became quite famous for a while and even appeared at the London Palladium. Apparently it was Max Bygraves who 'discovered' him.

This may help a little more. If you go into the Local History Department at Sheffield Central Library (next door to the Lyceum), they have a volume of shows at the Lyceum form 1897 to 1969 which they took from my own listings but please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further help.

Richard

This is the flyer for the panto mentioned.

Guest Fiona187

Fiona

Toni Dalli was born as Antonio D'Allesandro in Italy 1933 and moved to England when he was 16 and lived in Yorkshire, working in coal mines and the steel industry and began singing in local clubs. He became quite famous for a while and even appeared at the London Palladium. Apparently it was Max Bygraves who 'discovered' him.

This may help a little more. If you go into the Local History Department at Sheffield Central Library (next door to the Lyceum), they have a volume of shows at the Lyceum form 1897 to 1969 which they took from my own listings but please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further help.

Richard

Richard..Thats great thankyou...unfortunately Sheffield is a bit too far for me to go..I live just outside Oxford..my parents were both from Sheffield though...Dad was born & lived in Burngreave Rd...his mum lived there til she was 97 and had to go into a home...bless her..My mum went to Sheffield University and studied music...I was born in London though and adopted by them and grew up in Oxfordshire...I just help people reunite when theyve been adopted..its a hobby of mine...the man I`m helping lives in Sheffield..maybe he can nip along and have a look...thankyou so much for your help...Fiona

I bought this book a few years ago partly for the old photographs of when he lived in Sheffield.

He worked with my brother at the Hallamshire Rolling Mills at Neepsend.

He did a one off concert at the Ardsley House House some years ago which I went to with

an Italian friend of mine. The place was buzzing with Sheffield based Italians who knew him

when he first came to Sheffield.

My friend remembers him from the days her parents moved to Sheffield and lodged downstairs

at a house in Abbeydale Road area and Toni lodged upstairs.

She was only a young teen at the time but used to swoon when he came down the stairs

and stop at the mirror to comb his thick black hair.

He's still as hansome as ever and can still sing although he's in his 70s.