Sheffield - City on the Move

dunsbyowl1867

I've kept this for 35 years don't ask me why - perhaps it was waiting for this website. My auntie sent it to us when we lived in Canada for a couple of years. It must have been to accompany that short information film included at the beginning of the Full Monty.

A couple of choice photos to enjoy!

Anyway -

Picture One the Hole in th Road

Picture Two Tinsley Viaduct - conspicuous for a) lack of traffic B) lack of repair/engineering works & all lanes being open

Picture Three - The wonderful Chapel Walk ( My sister used to work in the hairdressers George France with the 1st Mrs Sean (sorry love I'm famous now) Bean. That's a joke lol

Picture Four "Swinging Sheffield" Young people of today think they invented fashion & clubbing - see Sheffield rocked in 1969!

BRILLIANT photo's - many thanks for posting them !

amazing how much cleaner everything used to look due to the lack of traffic and other unneccessary decorations on the streets

Picture Three - The wonderful Chapel Walk ( My sister used to work in the hairdressers George France with the 1st Mrs Sean (sorry love I'm famous now) Bean. That's a joke lol

Brilliant picture. Is the shop next George France a stationers? There was a craft shop - whiteheads or something - on the other side. And down at the bottom, A B Wards bookshop. I was trying to remember that name only the other day.

Guest Noise Heat Power

Wasn't there also The Methodists Bookshop down there, which I don't recall being quite as religious as it sounds? (Though maybe it was - I suddenly recall going there to buy the 'Songs Of Praise' hymn book we had to have at junior school).

Wasn't there also The Methodists Bookshop down there, which I don't recall being quite as religious as it sounds? (Though maybe it was - I suddenly recall going there to buy the 'Songs Of Praise' hymn book we had to have at junior school).

As a kid I often went in there - no idea why - I just though it was really cool (I was in NO way religious)

As a kid I often went in there - no idea why - I just though it was really cool (I was in NO way religious)

Ahh. Where abouts was the Methodist bookshop - perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong bookshop. The one I'm thinking of had qute a large downstairs section and was a few doors up (i.e. towards the camera on this shot) from Canns.

Ahh. Where abouts was the Methodist bookshop - perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong bookshop. The one I'm thinking of had qute a large downstairs section and was a few doors up (i.e. towards the camera on this shot) from Canns.

My mistake - I'm thinking of a different place entirely - in the other road that goes from Fargate to the Crucible..

The City's Publicity Officer at that time was Peter Wrigley.

I applied for a job with the Sheffield Publicity Dept and was interviewed by Mr Wrigley - he was very impressed that I knew that the city's motto was "City on the Move" - but not quite enough to give me the job! I ended up at NatWest on the High St.