Sermons

RichardB

This is a rare / antique book owned by Charles Peace a notorious criminal from 19TH century Sheffield , England . The book is religious in nature and I suspect that Charles' father gave it to him in an attempt to help him change from his life of crime . The personal inscription is dated from a short time when Charles Peace was between prison stays. The personal inscription reads " Presented To Chals. Peace By His Affect. Father August 6th / 64 " . There is also an owner's stamp on the title page which reads " Charles Peace - Sheffield " . The book is titled " Sermons on Biblical And Theological Subjects " by The Rev. Thomas Allin published in London by Jackson , Walford and Hodder in 1864 . The book is in rather rough condition with both covers detatched and the spine missing. There are also various stains throughout . The contents are intact. It measures 8 1/4 inches tall by 5 1/4 inches wide by 1 1/4 inches thick and weighs 1 1/2 pounds. This is an interesting look into the personal life of one of Englands most notorious criminals.

Owned by, rather than written by !

Starting price 59p

plus $32.55 postage.

This is a rare / antique book owned by Charles Peace a notorious criminal from 19TH century Sheffield , England . The book is religious in nature and I suspect that Charles' father gave it to him in an attempt to help him change from his life of crime . The personal inscription is dated from a short time when Charles Peace was between prison stays. The personal inscription reads " Presented To Chals. Peace By His Affect. Father August 6th / 64 " . There is also an owner's stamp on the title page which reads " Charles Peace - Sheffield " . The book is titled " Sermons on Biblical And Theological Subjects " by The Rev. Thomas Allin published in London by Jackson , Walford and Hodder in 1864 . The book is in rather rough condition with both covers detatched and the spine missing. There are also various stains throughout . The contents are intact. It measures 8 1/4 inches tall by 5 1/4 inches wide by 1 1/4 inches thick and weighs 1 1/2 pounds. This is an interesting look into the personal life of one of Englands most notorious criminals.

Owned by, rather than written by !

Starting price 59p

plus $32.55 postage.

Bit of a giveaway where they expect the interest to come from?

1 bid, 60p; no doubt due to the exchange rate. What was his Father called (other than Mr. Peace) ?

1 bid, 60p; no doubt due to the exchange rate. What was his Father called (other than Mr. Peace) ?

Near on £20 postage, isn't that a bit steep ?

Near on £20 postage, isn't that a bit steep ?

Not from where his affectionate Father sent it from ! John Peace died around 1846 ... according to this.

(This probably wants moved to Charles Peace thread once the bidding is over).

Not from where his affectionate Father sent it from ! John Peace died around 1846 ... according to this.

(This probably wants moved to Charles Peace thread once the bidding is over).

Pound to a penny this is his Fathers death ...

This is a rare / antique book owned by Charles Peace a notorious criminal from 19TH century Sheffield , England .

Message sent :

Charles Peace's Father was called John Peace - he died between Oct-Dec 1847.

Best Wishes

Mr. Belligerent

see www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk ebay section for Census images of Charlie's early life plus listing for death of John.

Message sent :

Charles Peace's Father was called John Peace - he died between Oct-Dec 1847.

Best Wishes

Mr. Belligerent

see www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk ebay section for Census images of Charlie's early life plus listing for death of John.

Reply :

Dear belligerentyorkshireman,

Hello , Thank you for the information . Could there be another " Charles Peace " living in Sheffield in 1864 ? Since there is no exact date of death for John Peace is it possible that he was alive in 1864 ? It is an interesting thought. I think I will leave it to the experts to decide . Thank you again .

mcon1614

-------------------------------------------

I think I will leave it to the experts to decide ... isn't that us ?