Woodhouse Now & Then

Guest Cyberman

Guest Cyberman

Hi all,

Been visiting some of my many relatives in Woodhouse lately and have done a few now and then comparison shots around the area for anyone interested. Also if any one has any information on the house that is being built please let me know. The house being built in the old picture is obviously still there as is the Woodhouse cemetary which can still be seen (just) through the trees in the modern picture. I think the old picture is from around the late 1800's and no sheffield buses came past this point right up tp the 1950's or so im told. Im also told that at the time of the first old picture Woodhouse was not classed as being in the Sheffield boundaries.

Link to picturesheffield

The next 3 lots of now and thens are all early 1950's to 2011

picturesheffield

These are all of Stradbroke road in Woodhouse close to the Woodhouse village shops.

picturesheffield

Finally looking up Stradbroke road to the top of Bishop Hill

picturesheffield

Any Information about Woodhouse would be great cos I can then really impress all my relatives with my local knowledge of the area.

Regards, Cyberman

Hi all,

Been visiting some of my many relatives in Woodhouse lately and have done a few now and then comparison shots around the area for anyone interested. Also if any one has any information on the house that is being built please let me know. The house being built in the old picture is obviously still there as is the Woodhouse cemetary which can still be seen (just) through the trees in the modern picture. I think the old picture is from around the late 1800's and no sheffield buses came past this point right up tp the 1950's or so im told. Im also told that at the time of the first old picture Woodhouse was not classed as being in the Sheffield boundaries.

Link to picturesheffield

The next 3 lots of now and thens are all early 1950's to 2011

picturesheffield

These are all of Stradbroke road in Woodhouse close to the Woodhouse village shops.

picturesheffield

Finally looking up Stradbroke road to the top of Bishop Hill

picturesheffield

Any Information about Woodhouse would be great cos I can then really impress all my relatives with my local knowledge of the area.

Regards, Cyberman

You've got some really good then and now pictures there Cyberman.

However, unlike Gleadless / Herdings, the Woodhouse / Stradbrooke area is not one of my strong points.

Both my younger brother (he lives there) and my son (he went to City School, Stradbrooke Road) would know more about this area than me.

Guest Cyberman

Sorry all, I thought my original post had not uploaded the first time i did it as i had problems with my internet connection. So I reposted it and now it appears to be in twice. Still I'm sure 1 of you nice administrators can sort it out for me. Once again, sorry about that Im not trying to duplicate everything on purpose. Regards, Cyberman

Sorry all, I thought my original post had not uploaded the first time i did it as i had problems with my internet connection. So I reposted it and now it appears to be in twice. Still I'm sure 1 of you nice administrators can sort it out for me. Once again, sorry about that Im not trying to duplicate everything on purpose. Regards, Cyberman

Now sorted Cyberman.

Steve

Hi Cyberman.

Looking on some old maps, the house shown in your first photograph was not built until or after 1905,

some of the buildings across from it (on the south side of Stradbroke Rd) are likely to be pre 1890.

Going back to the 1850's, Stradbroke Road was then called 'Stubbing Lane' and by 1923

it is named on maps as 'Stubbin Lane' until after 1935 when it is shown as being Stradbroke Road.

Hi Cyberman.

Looking on some old maps, the house shown in your first photograph was not built until or after 1905,

some of the buildings across from it (on the south side of Stradbroke Rd) are likely to be pre 1890.

Going back to the 1850's, Stradbroke Road was then called 'Stubbing Lane' and by 1923

it is named on maps as 'Stubbin Lane' until after 1935 when it is shown as being Stradbroke Road.

As most Sheffield estates to the southeast of Sheffield date to building boom in the 1930's would the name have changed to Stradbroke Road when the housing estate was built?

Stubbin Lane does sound a lot more rural, a countryside sort of name while Stradbroke Road seems more urban.

As most Sheffield estates to the southeast of Sheffield date to building boom in the 1930's would the name have changed to Stradbroke Road when the housing estate was built?

Stubbin Lane does sound a lot more rural, a countryside sort of name while Stradbroke Road seems more urban.

Maybe changed to avoid confusion with the one at Firth Park. (just a thought)

Maybe changed to avoid confusion with the one at Firth Park. (just a thought)

Probably as good a reason as any vox,

It wouldn't do to have 2 Stubbin Lanes in Sheffield that would be certain to cause confusion.

Guest Cyberman

Thanks SteveHB for sorting out my duplicated post and putting a time stamp on the building being built in the 1st photo. Would you, vox or DaveH have any idea when Woodhouse became part of Sheffield and infact in what area Woodhouse was part of before it was included in the Sheffield boundaries. Also have any of you any idea when the buses stopped using the bus turning point on Stradbroke road just below the cemetary and started going all the way up the hill past the house being built and all the way into Woodhouse village???

Regards, Cyberman

I think it may be a bit complicated Cyberman.

I assume that it changed at the same time as Hackenthorpe & Beighton, so It went something like this:

Originally part of North East Derbyshire

1967ish became part of the Borough of Sheffield and so became part of the West Riding of Yorkshire

197(3?) became part of the City of Sheffield.

(somewhere along the way we changed from the West Riding to South Yorkshire as well)

Guest Cyberman

I assume that it changed at the same time as Hackenthorpe & Beighton, so It went something like this:

1967ish became part of the Borough of Sheffield and so became part of the West Riding of Yorkshire

(somewhere along the way we changed from the West Riding to South Yorkshire as well)

Many thanks for your help vox, now I just need an expert on Sheffield past bus routes. :blink:

South Yorkshire came into being in 1974 under county reorganisation (at the same time Rutland, Englands smallest county, dissappeared into Leicestershire and a part of Yorkshire became a part of Lancashire)

However, Woodhouse may have been part of Sheffield longer than Hackenthorpe and Beighton as it is closer in and on the other side of the shire brook.

It also has an S13 address and by 1959 the 14 districts of Sheffield were established, - it was only after 1967 that the numbers went above 14 to include places like Hackenthorpe (which greatly enlarged S12) and Beighton (I think that is S18 or S20 now)

Not really that sure about the times though to answer Cybermans question.

Many thanks for your help vox, now I just need an expert on Sheffield past bus routes. :blink:

I wouldn't call myself an expert on Sheffield bus routes, but I have a lot of old timetables which I can refer to.

From these, I think that the first bus route to operate along the section of Stubbin Lane/ Stradbroke Road in question was route 93, extended from Stradbroke Estate to Woodhouse Cross in either 1968 or 1969. I can find no mention in Chas C Hall's book of any bus running this way to Woodhouse prior to this: the Woodhouse bus service (which carried route number 23 for many years) always seems to have operated via Manor Top and Normanton Springs.

Link to 1875 map,

http://ludos.leeds.ac.uk:8881/R/?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=105788&local_base=GEN01

Yesterdays STAR RETRO suppliment was about Woodhouse and had some pictures of the area and local people + events.

They seem to be doing a Retro feature on a different area of Sheffield each week using their own Star archive and reader submitted stuff.

Next week they are doing Darnall.

I used to live on Richmond Hill road which runs from Stradbroke road in 1945 till 1966. Stradbroke estate was not built till early 1950s but it was called Stradbroke Road when my Mum and Dad bought their house in 1935. I can remember walking to Woodhouse in the 1950s and I know the road was concrete where the prefabs where but from where school is now was just a dirt track into Woodhouse. The 93 bus used to turn round at the Stradbroke estate and go back via the Ravenscroft and Richmond hall road back to town. I think the bus route must have been extended much later perhaps after the Seven side estate or even the other new private one that I just can't remember the name of. :unsure: Also I have a little Sheffield street guide from 1935 which I found when I cleared Mums house out a few years ago I will dig it out because it might be of interest .

I am an ex-Woodhouse lad myself and so I can add a little on bus routes.

The 93 route used to run into Woodhouse by way of the Stradbroke Estate [Ravenscroft Road, Smelterwood Road and Stradbroke Road] and for many years, used to terminate at the top of the Severnside-Hardcastle-New Cross Estate. In fact for years, there was a purpose built "turning circle" on the opposite side of the road to that estate for that purpose. I believe that it was only later on that the route was continued up Stradbroke Road and into Woodhouse Village proper. I seem to recall that certainly in the 1960's and possibly well into the 1970's the route terminated at the Severnside Estate.

The 23 route entered Woodhouse from Intake, down Normanton Hill, Sheffield Road and passed along Tannery Street. For some reason I seem to think that this route was circular, passing down Station Road, Furnace Lane and then running back up Retford Road, but I am by no means 100 % certain on that. For some reason,

The 52 route did not enter Woodhouse "proper", but ran into "lower" Woodhouse along Beaver Hill Road and Badger Road and terminated at the railway station.

I remember being told that the lane that was later to become Stradbroke Road was unmetalled until the early 1950s and if so, could not have been a route too and from Sheffield.

However, I do remember seeing a photograph showing a single decked Sheffield bus in Chapel Street, Woodhouse taken during the 1920s - 1930s and so, some service must have been in existence by that time. I think the photograph was in Chas Hall's excellent book on Sheffield Transport.

Hope that this helps.

U

Well that's one way of getting round the Log In problem Mr. Returns. Good thinking lol

Ps I think I might know your brother - is he called Many Happy ? :)

Hi,

It seems a sensible solution, at least in the interim, although I will ask for my "temporary" user name to be closed down, once my original one is hopefully, back up and running. Long pause........................................................ <_<

:)

Glad to see that I was not the only one having trouble log in on. The 23 bus used to turn round in Woodhouse and come back down Coisley hill up Normanton and back to town via Manor top in the early days. Later on probably around the 70s or 80s it went the same way into woodhouse terminus at the junction then changed to 32 and went down Station Road and up through Handsworth on Richmond road and through the Woodthorpe on City Road and Granville into town. Then returned via Woodthorpe etc to Woodhouse where it then changed into a 23 and went back via coisley hill. It was like a circular bus route with both buses doing what used to be two routes and just changing numbers at the junction Woodhouse......Confused so was I when they changed !!! Now though Woodhouse has so many buses that it is like a bus station with three or four buses at a time blocking the narrow road.

<p>Yes the 23 bus used to terminate at Woodhouse Station and then return to town the same way it came out The first bus to serve the village was the 19 service to Dinnington ( I have a couple of books on old Woodhouse with a photograph of the 19 bus running up Sheffield Road) There was also the No 25 service to Beighton which came into the village via Beaver Hill Road then ran along Beighton Road. It was only an Hourly service in each direction but was actually a circular service as it ran out via Darnall and Woodhouse then back via Gleadless or out via Gleadless and back via Woodhouse and Darnall so providing Beighton with a half hourly service to Sheffield. There was also the 723 service which ran as the 23 to Beighton Road then ran to Beighton and on to a Colliery in that vicinity ( I cant remember which) Woodhouse Mill had the 85 service to Retford via Worksop which was originally a service provided by the LNER and Sheffield Joint Omnibus company in partnership and on which Railway tickets between Retford and Sheffield were valid ( though by my youth it was solely provided by Sheffield Transport but the return halves of full fare return railway tickets were still valid on it and vice versa though bus tickets had to be exchanged at the booking office before boarding the train)</p>

<p>I remember the 93 service terminating opposite the Severnside Estate and the Turning Bay. The buses used on the service were always the ones with the open platform and stairs at the rear unlike the 23 which were more modern with doors and stairs at the front. Both services had conductors though. I always preferred going into town on the 23 but if my mum wanted to go to the Markett we always went on the 93 and got off at the bottom of Broad Street opposite Park Goods Depot</p>

<p> </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Guest Cyberman

Thanks for all the reply's everyone, I've now got lots of information to pass onto the relatives. I've even learnt about dodgy goings on in the toilets at Manor Top. But of course, it goes without saying... I'll take all the credit for all your knowledge.