Sheffield Archives News

Guest SheffieldArchives

Guest SheffieldArchives

Dear all

Just to let you know that the building work at Sheffield Archives is nearing completion. This means we will soon be able to start the process of bringing the archive material back onsite, ready for reopening later in the year.

To enable us to do that, we will need to temporarily suspend document issue at the Local Studies Library. You can still continue to research at Local Studies, but should you require any original archive documents, please contact us by Monday 16 May 2011 which is the last day of ordering. The last day for viewing archive material will be Saturday 28 May 2011. Thereafter, all archive material will be returned and processed ready for its return to Sheffield Archives.

If you have any specific research requirements, we'll do our best to accomodate these. Drop us a line at: archives@sheffield.gov.uk or ring us on 0114 203 9395.

Regular updates are being posted on our website: Archives closure news For up-to-date information on this and other Archives and Local Studies news, you can sign up to our 'alerts' service - a short email or two each week with a news round up - go to our home page Archives and Local Studies home page and click 'Alert Me' at the top of the page.

I hope this information is helpful and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes,

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

I know its hard to be totally accurate but how long will it be (worst scenario) till the Archives are open?

Guest SheffieldArchives

Worst case scenario is that timescales slip into Autumn. However, we remain optimistic that we will reopen late Summer 2011. At the moment there is nothing to suggest that reopening will be delayed. As soon as I have further information (over the next few weeks), I'll let you know.

Cheryl

Guest SheffieldArchives

Dear all

Sheffield Archives has been temporarily closed for essential building work.

We will be reopening on Monday 5 September 2011. The normal service for fiche and film and document issue will resume.

Please note, you will not be able to access fiche and film at the Local Studies Library from Monday 22 August to Friday 2 September. We will be using this time to transfer the microform and film readers back to Shoreham Street.

If you have any questions, please get in touch: archives@sheffield.gov.uk or 0114 203 9395

To coincide with our reopening we will be participating in Heritage Open Days on Friday 9 September 2011. The doors will be open from 10am til 4pm, and we will be offering guided tours round the strongroom, conservation demonstrations and an original document exhibition - your chance to see some of Sheffield's documentary treasures up close. I'll post more information on this in due course.

Many thanks,

Cheryl